Reducing heat with engine subframe covers - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Reducing heat with engine subframe covers

I DO NOT have any affiliation with Shift Tech but have no problems saying these work. They are touted as engine subframe covers which add a nice carbon fiber look but more importantly reduce engine heat coming from right side. I ordered them and didn't have high hopes but I will be damned if they don't work. I live in Florida...93-95 degrees, 100+ heat index. As soon as I put these on and took a long ride I noticed the heat which would normally scorch my right inner thigh was greatly reduced to the point I stopped wearing a compression leg wrap I would wear under my Kevlar riding jeans. Is the heat complete gone? No of course not. But I can without a doubt feel a noticeable difference.
I was first made aware of these by a YT poster who swore his 1299 was made rideable with these engine covers.
I went on Shift Tech's site and now see a 8-10 week back log. Maybe word is getting out these things work. Shift-tech-carbon.com $349.00 plus S&H
I will admit I am very pleased with them. Great work guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM

Garage
A friend just gave me a set that he thought was for the 959, but they were for the 1299... Did yours come with heat tape on the inside?

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
A friend just gave me a set that he thought was for the 959, but they were for the 1299... Did yours come with heat tape on the inside?
No. Actually it didn't.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Do these just install over the existing subframe covers?

Panigale 959
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in o.c. View Post
Do these just install over the existing subframe covers?
No, they replace them. You have to prop up the gas tank and remove the rear side cowls to get it done easily.
mike in o.c. and bucfan444 like this.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 AM

My minor gripe with this heat shield (which is not only a Panigale solution, but made in different shapes & sizes for a number of sport bikes) is that it's designed to keep you cool, but prevents heat from emanating effectively in the surrounds of the rear cylinder head, so you could end up with melting and deforming the plastics in proximity. The higher temperature maintained inside actually makes that area get even hotter and doesn't allow for the same level of cool down through the high pressure diversion capabilities of the stock thermoplastic covers. I think Ducati had this in mind, but also will aim first-and-foremost to find workarounds to the heat, in the successor to the Panigale series, since it is officially the main non-positive factor derived by riders and reviewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan444 View Post
I was first made aware of these by a YT poster who swore his 1299 was made rideable with these engine covers.
Yeah, that'd be taylor202 — he's got some cheeky pizza / fast food delivery on a 1299 episode of videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
No, they replace them. You have to prop up the gas tank and remove the rear side cowls to get it done easily.
Is this a 959 procedure? Because on the 1299, it comes with a heat tape that you apply on the inside of the subframe covers and remove the 3M backing from the Shift-Tech CF set to install.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM

The best would be to get a set of those and put the DEI gold tape on the inside, which will reflect heat away even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

959 Panigale Discount code 959PANIGALE
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina View Post
My minor gripe with this heat shield (which is not only a Panigale solution, but made in different shapes & sizes for a number of sport bikes) is that it's designed to keep you cool, but prevents heat from emanating effectively in the surrounds of the rear cylinder head, so you could end up with melting and deforming the plastics in proximity. The higher temperature maintained inside actually makes that area get even hotter and doesn't allow for the same level of cool down through the high pressure diversion capabilities of the stock thermoplastic covers. I think Ducati had this in mind, but also will aim first-and-foremost to find workarounds to the heat, in the successor to the Panigale series, since it is officially the main non-positive factor derived by riders and reviewers.
That's concerning. May as well just bear with the heat at that point or risk overheating the plastics.
bucfan444 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:46 PM

But isn't heat dissipation part of the reason CF is more desirable? To me that means that it allows heat to escape and disperse easier helping it maintain a cooler temperature, not necessarily trapping it inside. Of course I'm far from any kind of expert tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina View Post

Yeah, that'd be taylor202 he's got some cheeky pizza / fast food delivery on a 1299 episode of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CyU7_ixQ8

Is this a 959 procedure? Because on the 1299, it comes with a heat tape that you apply on the inside of the subframe covers and remove the 3M backing from the Shift-Tech CF set to install.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxriderry View Post
But isn't heat dissipation part of the reason CF is more desirable? To me that means that it allows heat to escape and disperse easier helping it maintain a cooler temperature, not necessarily trapping it inside. Of course I'm far from any kind of expert tho.
Putting the carbon fiber subframe covers effectively reduces the amount of heat transferring from the subframe to your legs/environment (hence keeping your legs cooler). This removes one area for cooling of the heat from the rear cylinder, causing general temps to increase as result (heat generation ~constant, heat transfer down, therefore temp up). What @Sina is saying is that by reducing the amount of heat energy escaping due to the covers, the now hotter air has to escape somewhere else. Places subsequently targeted: the plastics in proximity.

The air isn't necessarily trapped, it just has less flow movement/more time to increase in temperature, then gets directed away from your legs, towards other plastics and possibly melting them.

CF has a lower thermal conductivity (better insulator) when compared to metals and higher thermal conductivity (worse insulator) when compared to plastics. Generally, heat dissipation isn't a strong point, hence why CF is used often as heat shields.

Heat conduction in W/m-K (~25C temp)
  • Polycarbonate (~0.190.22)
  • Carbon fiber (~5-7)
  • Steel (~12-45)
  • Aluminium (~200-250)
foxriderry likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page