Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Triumph 675 to a 959

34K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  EazyE 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

So Ive been contemplating trading in my 2014 daytona 675 for a 959 and some opinions on the move would be much appreciated. Some of my logical opinions which may not be factual but are concerns to me either way are mainly ducati reliability & cost of maintainence. Been told by some that those are the kickers with ducati. On the emotional side of things, I just cant get over the beauty of the ducati 959. When I bought my 675 a couple of years ago, the 899 was the only bike I thought was better looking and so of course I feel that way about the 959 as well. Anyways my 675 has been good to me but I have no faith in the triumph dealer here in Austin Tx (acquired by woods) Ive heard much better things from the ducati dealer which I feel is a pro for the ducati (dealer support is important to me). Ive not test rode the ducati so I will definitely have to do so. Last question about the riding position, would be that Ive heard its a little aggressive on the ducati but the 675 is know to be one of the more agreesive riding position sport bikes and I am very comfortable on it. Do you all think that will translate over to the ducatis ride position?

#2 ·
Hello all,

So Ive been contemplating trading in my 2014 675 for a 959 and some opinions on the move would be much appreciated. Some of my logical opinions which may not be factual but are concerns to me either way are mainly ducati reliability & cost of maintainence. Been told by some that those are the kickers with ducati. On the emotional side of things, I just cant get over the beauty of the ducati 959. When I bought my 675 a couple of years ago, the 899 was the only bike I thought was better looking and so of course I feel that way about the 959 as well. Anyways my 675 has been good to me but I have no faith in the triumph dealer here in Austin Tx (acquired by woods) Ive heard much better things from the ducati dealer which I feel is a pro for the ducati (dealer support is important to me). Ive not test rode the ducati so I will definitely have to do so. Last question about the riding position, would be that Ive heard its a little aggressive on the ducati but the 675 is know to be one of the more agreesive riding position sport bikes and I am very comfortable on it. Do you all think that will translate over to the ducatis ride position?
I have never ridden a Daytona, but the responsiveness and suspension receive very good reviews. However, the power and availability of aftermarket upgrades has the Triumph beat hands down. They are both great looking bikes, but the Ducati will likely widen the smile across your face when you ride.

I am not sure that you will have much difficulty transitioning from one bike to the other. Just don't get caught up in all the hype about the heat. Austin will offer you plenty of opportunity to get out in the hill country or closer in around the lakes and focus instead on the riding.

Dealer support is a rough reason to look at another bike and Ducati Austin does seem to be well regarded in Texas. I too am very motivated by post sale service and shop support.

The twin vs the triple isn't as big of a change as going from an inline 4 to two cylinders. If you think the 675 has strong torque you are in for a pleasant surprise and the HP isn't lacking either.

#3 ·
I would agree with what @sinjin has mentioned above. I haven't ridden a 675 either, but I know there are a lot of guys racing these bikes so that says something for their performance and handling. I would think your biggest concern in switching would be the twin motor characteristics of the 959. Again, I have not ridden a 675 but I would think the riding position would be very similar. To me, the Panigale line have a much less aggressive riding position than the older style Ducati super bikes.

Reactions: sinjin
#4 ·
Post ride with a group of Daytona riders...

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
@gomeybear
I concur with what @dougo1199 and @sinjin have written. I know you will be pleased with the power delivery and the handling.
Moreover, I'm not concerned either about the riding position which is very comfortable.
Like @sinjin wrote, the heat is not an issue in a fast pace environment but could bug you in stop and go traffic.
Personally, I couldn't care less for the heat when I happen to ride it slow because I enjoy it so much when ridden for what it's been designed for. Others don't necessarily feel the same way.
Consequently, don't buy without giving it a good test ride in a similar environment and condition you are currently riding your Daytona. Then decide.

Reactions: sinjin and wxwax
#6 ·
If it was a 675R no way would I swap it for a 959.

Before I purchased my 899 I looked very closely at the 675R, my friend who I do track days with has one
and I really liked the feel of it and I just love that engine. I was riding a modded 1098 at the time and needed to go slower.

I chose the Pani because of my Ducati history. 749, ST4s, 996sps, Multistrada 1200, Hypermotard 1100s and 1098 I just went with the 899 because I sort of know them and am set up to work on them even thought the Pani was a different breed.

#7 ·
A guy I met while at Chuckwalla this past Monday had 70 miles on his new AWS 959, of which he traded his 675R for. He left half day in because he was tired from riding the bike - he said it's worlds better than the 675R on the track, much more power, gearing is great, he doesn't need to rev the heck out of it to get going, and it goes where u point it just like the 675R. He wished he went to the gym more so he wouldn't be so fatigued!

Get the 959 IMO

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I have never done a track day so all my experience riding is street only. Ill just have to test ride it to see if it handling is on par, hp & torque it of course has the advantage. I saw a couple reviews that mentioned its cornering is slightly different than most sport bikes, not sure what they meant by that but I do know that the daytona is a breeze to get some angle and speed in the twisties of the hill country. Do you all think maintenance costs are exorbitant?

#10 ·
I am not sure what is meant by the comment regarding the cornering, either. The stock suspension is very capable and performs extremely well whether you are riding spiritedly on the street or pushing it hard at the track.

I knew what I was getting into when I chose a Ducati and the BMW. I would rather pay a little more for better and reliable service and have my dealer do the work than choose a different bike or perform the work myself and miss out on riding in my spare time...

Since many Ducati dealers sell European bikes, Triumph included, I would imagine that the shop costs are about the same. Ducati Austin and AMS in Dallas have good reputations regarding their service departments, so you are less likely to be funding their education as they figure $hit out...

#11 ·
Hi, my previous bike was a 2008 675 and traded it in for a 959 in January so still getting used to it. The biggest difference is coming off throttle, you need tank pads for grip to stop crushing your nuts. The 675 triple is smooth around slow corners e.g. roundabouts but it's taking a bit of time to get used to the 959. Some mods to help are the panigalespacers and dropping the front sprocket down a tooth. My 675 had sharp handling and slowly getting there with the 959 but the 959 has a lot more power so really depends on your riding environment, take the 959 for a demo but watch for the throttle slack and coming off throttle.

#13 ·
Hi Gomeybear,

My previous bike was an 06 Daytona 675. Had that bike for two years, and for a portion of that time I also had an 636 ZX6-r. I LOVED that 675, to this day, I wish I hadn't sold it. I FELL IN LOVE with the Daytona, it was love at first sight. Loved it for a lot of reasons: power/tq, handling, classic design (one of the most beautiful bike ever made, if you ask me). Like you, I've not been to a track day, all my experience is street and back-roads.

I was off of bikes for two years. When I decided to get another bike last year, I was pretty much sold on another 675. In fact, there was a '12 or '13 675R used for sale that I almost bought. Then the 959 came out.. And it was love at first sight all over again. Couldn't stop staring at them. Timeless looks, aggressive yet graceful, amazing sound. Arctic White Silk. Enough said.

To answer your specific questions:

Reliability: had my bike for a year, and the only issue I have is the "cold start" issue: basically the bike didn't like to start right up for the first cold-start of the day. Ducati is aware of it, but no known fix yet. There's a trick I found on this forum that I've adapted for the first start of the day, and I've not had the problem since. And do yourself the favor: don't let this be a turnoff.

Maintenance: Don't be scared of maintenance. Ducati designed the Panigale to much more in line with Japanese bikes: 7500 mile oil service, Valve service at 15K miles. While I'm sure it'll cost more than japanese bikes for valves, I imagine it wont require a second mortgage. Also, Ducati switched from timing belts to chains, so no belt replacement.

Dealer Support: Ducati is owned by VW/Audi, and their dealer support is pretty good from what I can see in the SF Bay area at least. If you have a reputable dealer near you, you'll be fine.

Riding Position: yes, its aggressive, but not that different from the 675. Comfort seat helps for longer rides.

Go and take one for a ride: I had high expectations after my 675, and I'm very very happy I switched to the 959 Panigale.

Get one! You wont regret it.

-Charlie

#74 ·
My dealer quoted me $2000 for the 15k valve check. Mark at The Ducshop charges $1400 or so... It's triple what you would pay for a Jap bike valve job, on average. That's the one downside to this bike so far.

#14 ·
@gomeybear
You may be interested in viewing this review from the pro's at MCN Motorcyclenews.com.
They pit the 899 Panigale against the Triumph Daytona 675R and the old school Suzuki GSX-R750.
As you know, the 959 is a stroked version of the 899 with added HP, torque and a slipper clutch amongst the most significant improvements.

Reactions: Ghettobird
#22 · (Edited)
@gomeybear
Just keep your focus on being rational vs emotional. You already have a great bike with low mileage. Just saying.
Moreover, do give the 959 a good test run first to see if you like it and worth the difference in bike and the additional debt load you're about to get into.

Trade-in value (look at the percentage reduction, not the price) See attached:
Low: 6510/8944 = 73%
High: 7626/9884= 76%
According to the Canadian Blue book, you can use a trade-in value of approximately 75% of the retail value as a guide.
Apply that percentage to the retail price of your bike in your region.

Attachments

#28 ·
Give it a good ride similar to the conditions you're currently riding in.
Be sure you're comfortable with the trade-off's as your Daytona is a good bike, very similar to the Panigale and not that old either.
Good luck with your decision.

#31 ·
In hindsight and starting with a clean slate I, personally, would select the Panigale over the Daytona without question.
I prefer the torque of a literbike in a mid-size package. Then there's the styling... what's not to like?

However, the OP is in a different situation. He's not starting from scratch. He has some things to consider that I didn't have namely his trade-in:
- his Daytona is not that old (2014)
- it has low mileage (4000)
- he still owes $6000
- the triumph is a highly rated bike
- and not bad looking also

Can't wait to read his comments following his upcoming Panigale test ride.

Reactions: adrian7
#33 · (Edited)
Alright, so I just came back from the test ride and ill give what I hope is a decent unbiased breakdown starting with:

Looks: Gotta start with it because its what originally attracted me to ducati. Obviously as already mentioned the 959 has the daytona in the looks department for me.

Power: Here is what suprised me the most, I thought the 959 would feel way more powerful. It was definitely more torquey but the lower rev engine makes me think the daytona might be closer than most would think when comparing them on paper. Negligible difference in power in my opinion. ( and yes i put the 959 in race mode)

Handling: I gotta say the daytona has it on handling. The daytona seems to have a lot more flickability. Not sure if maybe it would just take time to learn how to get the 959 to lean easier but based in my first ride it felt more difficult to lean at higher speeds than my daytona does. One thing I noticed here is that the daytona feels top heavy at slow speeds and the 959 feels light at slow speeds. I wonder if its that the center of gravity is higher on the daytona which makes it more flickable at higher speeds but obviously makes it more cumbersome at slow speed maneuvers.

Ergos : The daytona is pretty much equal to the 959 in ergos the daytona has a slightly more aggressive posture but softer seat. I didnt notice the heat issue everyone talks about on the 959 but it was a little colder out today at around 75F. I did notice slight more pressure in my wrist because I was having trouble using my legs to grip the tank on the 959. Not sure if tank pads would help here. Negligible difference here as well as I think I could get just as comfortable with the 959 after riding it a while, with the stipulation that the tank grips would allow you to use your legs more.

Character and overall rideability:
They both have a very unique character and exhaust notes the twin sounds pretty grunty/deep and the daytona has the whirl that sounds almost like its turbocharged. The 959 clutch was strange though I could not seem to get the friction zone right. It would probably just take time to figure out. Torque is the x factor here for me it always makes a bike more fun and the 959 has lots of it. The daytona feels much smoother than the 959 in terms of engine response and vibration though. Equal marks here for me between the 959 and daytona.

Electronic Features. The 959 has it easily. Another x factor for me here is that I could put the bike in wet mode and let my girlfriend ride it. Its tame enough for her in wet mode, I cant do that with the daytona.

Brakes: Forgot to talk about brakes. 959 seems to have alot more breaking power. Especially on the initial bite. No complaints on either bikes braking but the 959 has the edge here.

Final decision: As with anything price is a huge factor. The bikes really are about on par for me and I really dont think I am being biased because I still want the 959 for the sheer beauty that no one can deny (even the red one was tempting). I love the 959 still and will probably keep my eye out and continue drooling over it on the forums pictures, but in speaking with the dealership they were already wanting in excess of 18k for it. If anything its a 16k OTD bike for me with some extras thrown in on the deal also. Didnt haggle much with the sales guy cuz I am not ready quite yet anyways. Overall I am leaning towards staying with the Daytona but will see how tempted I get when I see all those Panigales at Moto GP here soon : )

#37 ·
Told you before, the Triumph that has Ohlins etc is a good thing. I think it is better than a stock 959 for track duties because I have ridden one in anger and it's pretty good.
On the road it doesn't matter, at the cafe the Ducati wins :)

#35 ·
Thanks for the write up. That all makes sense to me. I would think a lot of what you may be feeling in the handling dept could be due to the fact you're used to the Daytona. Another factor could be the basic suspension / geometry setup on the 959 is off for your height / weight / riding style. The Ducati twins are definitely a different animal.

#36 ·
I'll try this analogy and see if it makes sense...

You currently own a 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo (997). You've been to the dealership recently and saw a 2016 GT3. You're now trying to decide if you should give up the '09 and get the new one.

That's the difference IMO in what you're trying to make your mind up on @gomeybear . It's a no-brainer to me...

#38 ·
Alright so no matter what I am still confused on why the 959 didnt feel as though there was any difference horsepower wise over the daytona. I really want to like the 959 over the daytona and being faster would send me over the edge in buying it, but it didnt feel like it was. I know I put it in race mode and tried to wring it out. What else could I be missing 157 hp & 78 ft lbs of torque on the 959, 128 hp & 55 ft lbs on the daytona, that should translate to much more of a punch from the 959. Could it be a comfort issue being that I know the daytona pretty well?

#52 ·
Gomeybear, I can tell you from experience, the 959 takes some transition time to get used to if you are not used to L Twins, it's just different and you need seat time to adjust and to carefully set it up for your style and weight. I wrestled with my 959 for quite awhile until settling in on the TC and EBC settings that worked for me and got the suspension working the way I wanted it.......e.g. stiff!

Now that I have over a year on it, I've become used to it's unique ways and it has proven itself reliable, fast and handles well. It takes a little more initial effort to muscle it over into a turn than an I-4 but rewards with unflappable midcorner stability. I thought the bike was slow at first but it's not, I do rides with full blown exotic literbikes and it gives away nothing to those machines until well into triple digits. It has just an incredibly smooth power delivery that makes it feel like it's not setting the world on fire but look down at the speedo and you are making serious speed. The 959 reminds me of my ZX-14, it makes high speed seem almost boring it is so calm, almost like time is slowing down giving you time to think in the corners.

OK, that said, I think the 675R is a fantastic machine in it's own right, almost bought one myself and I'm sure I would have been happy with that one as well.

Maintenance wise, my 959 has been flawless so far. The oil is expensive but I've since found a dealer that will get me the filter and oil at discount prices, still about twice the price of changing oil on an I-4 but you do have the extended oil change interval if you decide to use it.

#39 · (Edited)
@gomeybear - if you didn't go through each menu item... Engine Output, ABS, Traction Control and Engine Break... then you have no idea how Race Mode was set up. Go back for a test ride and go thru the menu and set it up yourself, Engine Output to High, ABS set to 1, DTC set to 2 and Engine Break to 3. Each one of those settings can be changed and saved to any of the 3 Riding Modes. With those settings you'll know in an instant the difference between the bike you know and the 959 you are dreaming about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.