Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Brake lights

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  redduck996-959 
#1 · (Edited)
Help!!! i just picked up a 2016 959 a few days ago and i don't think the brake light works. I was in a rush and wasn't as diligent/anal as I typically can be. is there a way to check if something is loose or missing? The lights works fine but when i use either brakes nothing happens.

does anyone know what this harness is for and why its capped off?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
4 possible spots for fixing your problem:
  1. Disconnected rear brake light connector
  2. Blown light fuse
  3. Disconnected front and rear lever switches (or both are simultaneously busted)
  4. Wiring harness to the rear light is rekt

First two you can check pretty easily, pop off the seat (and maybe the black box underneath) and the pillion seat/cowl to check for the brake light connector, and take off the left fairing and check the right fuse box, fourth from the left to see if the lights fuse is blown.

Unless for whatever reason the previous owner disconnected both connectors to get on the track (with or instead of taping lights), I'd say the last two aren't as probable, as neither your front brake or rear brake are activating the light.

EDIT: Your photo is showing the DDA/diagnostics connector. Used to connect to the ECU to do magic or often as a power source for USB connectors.

#3 ·
thanks DJ for the info... so what happen was the brake light was stuck in the ON position and I wasn't able to tell... it appears that the front lever was catching and stuck... not sure if the master cylinder needs to be replace as the rubber grommet/balloon looks ripped. I need to caveat this with the fact that the bike has aftermarket adjustable/fold-able levers. DO you think this is covered under warranty, can they replace the cylinder unit? I can disable the brake lights if i push the lever up or in the reverse direction but probably not convenient and the OCD in me would go crazy constantly pushing it up.

#4 ·
How much do you have to push the lever back so it disengages?

Since the switch seems fine, you can adjust the lever pivot rod(thingy?) so its not pushing against the switch (within reason at least). Seems like whoever installed the aftermarket levers couldn't get the rod to correctly plunge into the master cylinder boot (it really isn't that hard at all) so it probably wasn't installed by a dealer, thus warranty covering it is iffy.

You might have to get a new set (other aftermarket or OEM) so the tolerances are better if you can't adjust it completely.

#5 ·
yea i tried, but there wasn't much play in that pivot joint. i was only able to tighten down a smudge... i assume i want the rod to be as short as possible so it doesn't activate the brake light as easily... do I have that right?

you mentioned a new set... a new set of what?

#6 ·
You could just take a file to the edge that the switch connects to and shave off material until it doesn't contact.

New set of levers. Might be worth a try if you can't source some OEM ones. Here's the shorty ones I bought from US vendor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.