Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Storage Under Cowl

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  FK482 
#1 ·
Red Vehicle Car Vehicle door Hood
Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Does anyone store their wallet under the seat/cowl? Wondering if temps get hot enough to melt anything. When I ride with a suit on pocket space is quite limited and I only bring my phone with drivers license and a credit card plus a house key and garage remote.

Housing my wallet in there seems like a good idea but I don't want to melt my wallet/cards. Was pretty warm in there half an hour after riding but wanted to get any real experience anyone's had.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 18161 View attachment 18169

Does anyone store their wallet under the seat/cowl? Wondering if temps get hot enough to melt anything. When I ride with a suit on pocket space is quite limited and I only bring my phone with drivers license and a credit card plus a house key and garage remote.

Housing my wallet in there seems like a good idea but I don't want to melt my wallet/cards. Was pretty warm in there half an hour after riding but wanted to get any real experience anyone's had.

Thanks!
I store my wallet in there no problems. I changed to just a small card holder now days when riding (just incase wallet gets stolen or cover comes off. Not put mobile phone in there thou.
Also, if you have a card key for say a apartment block door or gate etc etc, it may get wiped (Had it happen to me a few times)

#3 ·
Ah.. thanks for the heads up. My office key card is in there which might get affected - will remove before stowing. But this doesn't have the same affect on banking cards? Must be the RFID which it heat sensitive.

Probably wouldn't put my phone in there either as the heat would mess with the battery if nothing else. And many people have said that your phone is the one thing you should keep on you in case you do come off and no one is around, at least you have the means to make an emergency call.

#4 ·
I have had a ziplock bag in there with registration/insurance papers. Hasn't got hot enough to deform the bag at all.

I can't imagine it getting hot in there while riding. It'd probably get hot in there due to the sun though.

Reactions: avigil
#6 ·
I keep a ziplock w/registration, a small screwdriver to adjust clickers and a microfiber towel under the small access door, as well a small plastic spray bottle with visor cleaner on top. Not had any issues with heat. You could always cover the bottom with metal heat tape if you needed more insulation.

#7 ·
I was just worried cos it felt quite warm in the compartment even half an hour after i parked in my garage (underground). Have never used the space before since it's so small - not sure if the cowl makes it any smaller than the seat. But since ya'll haven't had any issues - bar D-StyleNZL's work security card, I'll probably start utilising it from now! Thanks all.

#8 ·
I like to be prepared!!! Have tools to take off fairings, bar end mirrors, a few different sizes, and zip ties in the tool kit. Have registration, $60 cash, hand warmers in a plastic bag. And it's always good to have a bungee cord and electrical tape. I think it's funny when people say, "there is zero storage on a panigale". I have seen no issue with heat

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#11 ·
IMHO, the tool kit content is pretty much useless on the streets where I chose to replace it with an Allen key set and stored in the sub-compartment (under the plastic door). That cleared the top section under the pillion seat for a pair of shades, spare ear plugs, a AC/USB phone plug & cable and a small pen. This is also a good place to store your Ducati roadside assistance card if it's not in your wallet.

PS. If you're off on a weekend getaway, a roadside tire repair kit and basic tools including your rear axle socket (36mm 12pt) would be good carry-ons.

#12 ·
I did the same with the tools. I have a few different sizes of Allen, zip ties, and a couple other tools. I agree that the stock tool kit did not give you the tools you need.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
It's a good place for (another) spare 17 round magazine.

Edited to add disclaimer: **I would not do this in CA**

#15 ·
Not a fan of huge wallets so mine fits just fine. As such I don't keep the road side assist card on me - just the phone number in my phone along with member number and a photo of the card as the contact image.

Need to review the tools and what to keep in there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.