TuneBoy 959 Patient ZERO -ECU mods - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Arrow TuneBoy 959 Patient ZERO -ECU mods

https://www.facebook.com/TuneboyAU/p...56373551165047

Pick up the 959 today. Mine is patient Zero, the first. Cruise control, launch control, disable PAIR valve, open and disable exhaust servo, full dyno tune circa 13:1 AFR, 3 TPS maps (standard, 70% twist = 100% throttle, TPS = A torque value rather than a throttle value). New QS system with auto blip for up and down shifting...... as you can imagine I'm pretty excited odds are, if this becomes an 'off the shelf' product, it'll be my map you get

If interested I can report back or explain what I've had done.
DarR, Kevin.H and causecelebre like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:33 PM

Garage
Nice! Did you happen to have a baseline run to compare to?

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 PM

Garage
Is it easy to change TPS to 1:1?

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Dyno attached. Pretty happy with 11hp over stock with a stock setup.
I must say, the bike sounds so much better with the exhaust servo open. It feels better to ride, not WOW amazing but there's definitely a little more there. The best improvement is the low throttle response and on-off transitions, it's quite a lot smoother although not perfect.
Cruise control is excellent... can't really fault it.
The quick shifter I'm confused about... Full throttle up shifts are fine, no better then stock though. 4 times out of 5 It somehow how deals with slow / low throttle upshifts butter smooth too whereas the OEM one would jerk and was a bit rough, the problem is 1 time out of 5 if jerks making me lose confidence using it for anything other than full throttle shifting, as such there is no gain over the OEM system.
The auto-blip down shifting I just can't figure out... I think you have to have a near neutral throttle, not decelerating too much. It seems to jerk and even surge me forward. I don't think it works the way other systems do, and tries to vary the blip based on shift pressure, engine rpm, and throttle position but seems to get it wrong half the time.... and again meaning I don't really want to use it. That said, I've only tired it punting around town between 1/2/3 gears and not higher speed canyons, track work where it might come into it's own.

Summary... value for money it's worth it for
- 10hp more
- Smoother but not perfect low throttle response and transitions
- Exhaust note more throaty and louder (not significantly however)
- Cruise Control
- Did I mention CRUISE CONTROL

However...save your money on
- QS ...just not worth the extra $500 IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno - 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	11058  
DarR, Kevin.H, Aldo and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Is it easy to change TPS to 1:1?
I thought the stock TPS mapping was 1:1 but then again, I guess the OEM rider modes do muck around with TPS mapping.

I now have 3 modes,

1. Stock (TPS = throttle position)

2. TPS = a torque value. What this means in practise is any given throttle position calls on the ECU to produce X value of torque, now typically as RPM increases the torque value falls off. What now happens is the ECU will automatically add throttle to maintain the torque level.

3. TPS = a torque value but the 70% of the throttle calls on max power. (like a quick action throttle).

It's funny how clever throttle mapping can give the illusion of more power or torque. I'm not a fan of options 2 and 3 because I don't like the idea that the throttle has a mind of it's own.
Spanishcop likes this.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Garage
Good to hear it smoothens the on-off transitions. Overall, what's the cost looking like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
The auto-blip down shifting I just can't figure out... I think you have to have a near neutral throttle, not decelerating too much. It seems to jerk and even surge me forward. I don't think it works the way other systems do, and tries to vary the blip based on shift pressure, engine rpm, and throttle position but seems to get it wrong half the time.... and again meaning I don't really want to use it. That said, I've only tired it punting around town between 1/2/3 gears and not higher speed canyons, track work where it might come into it's own.
If its only working near neutral acceleration, it sounds like its not working at all. Without an autoblipper/quickshifter, you can jam upshift/downshift any straight-cut gear transmission when its effectively unloaded. So if I'm understanding correctly, while under 0% throttle and decelerating, the auto-blipper isn't working? Your new QS rod should be taking the upshift movement as action to blip the throttle; it sounds like either the rod isn't responding, or the TuneBoy isn't setup for auto blip.

I'd be interested to hear about if it works at higher RPMs though, please chime in when you get more testing in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
I thought the stock TPS mapping was 1:1 but then again, I guess the OEM rider modes do muck around with TPS mapping.

I now have 3 modes,

1. Stock (TPS = throttle position)

2. TPS = a torque value. What this means in practise is any given throttle position calls on the ECU to produce X value of torque, now typically as RPM increases the torque value falls off. What now happens is the ECU will automatically add throttle to maintain the torque level.

3. TPS = a torque value but the 70% of the throttle calls on max power. (like a quick action throttle).

It's funny how clever throttle mapping can give the illusion of more power or torque. I'm not a fan of options 2 and 3 because I don't like the idea that the throttle has a mind of it's own.

I believe your #3 is pretty close to how the stock ECU's engine HIGH TPS mapping is. #2 sounds really interesting, have you rode on this mode yet? How does it feel if you have?

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 04:33 PM

'Im interested to see how this works out. I was looking into the tuneboy set up a few months ago and they hadn't had anything for me. Since then I've spoken to ECS about having them dyno my bike etc, and I'm hoping to get at least the cruise control as well. One thing that came to mind was the fact that I saw someone on this page mention that the QS needed to be broken in. If i remember correctly my up shift took a little time to work in however, now it shifts fine all the time. Maybe the shifter just needs to figure itself out? Ill be sure to check back in here for updates
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've been trying to buy this since day 1. Let us know when it's available!

R
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Pretty interesting that the low end torque isn't lost by keeping the exhaust servo valve open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

959 Panigale Discount code 959PANIGALE
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 PM

I just want cruise control
O_O, foxriderry and Rinzlr like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page