Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Tyres Tires and more tyres

53K views 106 replies 24 participants last post by  Jep863 
#1 ·
So after 6000kms the time has come to think about replacing the OEM tyres. The Rosso Corsa's are very good, but I like to try new things now and then. Problem is tyre choice is limited due to the rear sizing and TC/ABS calibration.

However I have noticed Michelin make a Pilot Power SuperSportEvo, which is Michelin's equivalent to the Rossa Corsa in 180/60-17 and Iv'e read good things about it. Just wondering if anyone here has tried these and if so how good are they?

Im sticking to a Hypersport 50/50 tyre, so please dont post how good RoadSmart II's are :wink2:

Michelin Power SuperSport Evo - Tyre Reviews

#2 ·
I run power cup evo tires on my zx6r that's track only and I love them. My buddy put a set of power supersport evo tires on his track bike and they are great as well. I almost ordered a set because I'm planning on doing a few tds with my 959 but instead I got Pirelli supercorsa sp v2 because they were $70 less for the pair.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
As mentioned above, the Michelin Power SS Evo is a DOT race tire on par with the Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. If you're looking for more 'dry' grip then that may be a viable option. If you're looking for longevity/milage, that's heading in the wrong direction. IMO, The stock Rossa Corsa is very hard to beat for wet / dry grip and longevity. Obviously there are longer lasting tires out there, but more dry grip always = higher wear rates, and vice-versa. It's all a matter of finding that perfect balance for your bike/riding style. Great thread! Always a fun topic as tire technology is ever-changing.

#9 ·
Yes Tyre talk does get me going :grin2:

Here at my dealer the Rosso Corsa's are $440 AUD a set and Power SS Evo's are $470 AUD. Not sure on the Supercorsa's, ill price them before I make a choice.

I know how good the stock tyres are, iv'e pushed them pretty hard and they haven't let go yet

I hear Rosso III's are coming in a 180/60 soon, but im not after more wet grip or longer life.

If I can have complete faith in my Tyres and get 6000ish kms of spirited riding out of a rear thats all I can ask for :wink2:

#10 ·
This tyre is the original. Just completed 4000km on them.
I pulled up for fuel and noticed this. Never seen them like this before after normal road riding conditions.
In Perth, I have Been quoted $540 AUD for a set of Rosso 111's which I'll be going for next.

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for some feed back guys.

I'm running with 36/36 cold. The outside air temp was 20 deg C so the road temp wouldn't have been extreme at all. Maybe it had something to do with the type of road.
Interestingly, when I got my bike back from the dealer after the 1000km service, the rear tyre was set at 43 ! (Cold).
The bike was in 'race' mode. EBC:1, DTC:3, ABS:1.
During that particular ride I hardly used the brakes and I was pushing the bike hard but not vigorously.
Doesn't look like I'll get 6000km out of it.

#15 ·
Diablo Rosso 111

Just had a new set of Diablo Rosso 111's put on.
Took the bike out and done a quick 200kms on em.
Nice and sticky:wink2: and hopefully I'll get a few more kilometers out of them compared to the OE tyres.
The rear has a lower profile 180/55.

Attachments

#16 ·
Just had a new set of Diablo Rosso 111's put on.
Took the bike out and done a quick 200kms on em.
Nice and sticky:wink2: and hopefully I'll get a few more kilometers out of them compared to the OE tyres.
The rear has a lower profile 180/55.
It will be interesting to see what kind of wear you get with these. Please keep us posted. I'm at a little over 3000 miles and am on my third rear and second front. Keep in mind I don't mess around with dicey tires, so I may be changing out sooner than most would.

#17 ·
Hi Dougo,
I changed out early. I had another 500km left on the rear and easily another 1000km left on the front. I'm the same as u, not prepared to take that risk just for an extra few kilometers. The tyre tec said I should be able to get approx 7000k out of them. If I want a bit more mileage then I would need to go for the Angels. (10'000-11'000kms)
I'll c how these go and maybe go for the Angels next.

#18 ·
I don't buy those milage estimates. Or at least I've never been able to get within even half of that. The most I ever got out of the Angels was about 2500 miles on my 01 Monster. I think the electronics do help with tire wear. Keep us posted for sure!!

#23 ·
I'm at about 3200 miles on my original set and have a track event on Monday. I was going to keep the stocks on, but I'd be pushing my luck. The front has wear to the marker but almost no wear on the edge, and the rear is almost at the marker and almost no wear at the edge. They're perfect for riding the edge of either side only, which isn't what I'll be doing on my first track event in over 10 years! Extra insurance-wise I put on a new pair of Pirelli Diablo Superorsa SP V2's - 180/60 for the rear. When I tell you these tires are soft right out of the box, boy are they soft! I could probably pull a chunk off if I tried, without going for a ride - can't wait to see how they feel!

#24 ·
Like @Dingo,
Following 7500km on the OEM's, I just bit the bullet today (<Can$600) to ante-up on Diablo SuperCorsa SP V2's front and rear including a SUPERLITE 14t front sprocket going -1f from 15t. The Rosso Corsa's were great, but time to move on to more modern and stickier things. Can't wait to report on the changes.

#25 ·
I think I have mentioned having the Supercorsas on both the Ducati and BMW... 180 rear on the former and 200 rear on the latter. I swapped them out when I had the Rotobox wheels put on the bike.

I think you will like them.

#26 ·
Hi @sinjin ,
Yes, I think I will appreciate them more on this bike than on my M1200R as that bike came with SC's as OEM's.
Can't wait to try them. As an aside, I will replace the SC's on the M1200R when they wear-out with Rosso 3's as I think SC's on a Monster is overkill for the utility I will use that bike for.

#27 ·
Had my First Track day with M7rr's

I had my doubts as the interweb had mix reviews that they werent to good on the track (but great for road)

But they were pretty good for road based tire. I started with 27 rear and 30 (cold) front. only had to drop the front during the day. Held up well.

#105 ·
Had my First Track day with M7rr's

I had my doubts as the interweb had mix reviews that they werent to good on the track (but great for road)

But they were pretty good for road based tire. I started with 27 rear and 30 (cold) front. only had to drop the front during the day. Held up well.
What size did you use for that one since I'm looking to use it for the road not track.

#28 ·
Tire pressure

By this time, most of us have replaced their OEM Rosso Corsa's with the same or other models.
As previously mentioned, I recently replaced the Panigale's OEM's with SuperCorsa's.

Here's something I just noticed:
My Monster 1200R has OEM SuperCorsa's mounted but there's a noticeable difference in cold tire pressure suggested by Ducati vs Pirelli's recommendations (see link):

DUCATI
Front 2.3 bar (33 PSI)
Rear 2.1 bar (30 PSI)

PIRELLI
Front 2.0~2.2 bar (29~32 PSI)
Rear 1.6~1.8 (23~26 PSI)

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww.../sheet/diablo-supercorsa-sp#/technical-advice

The 959 Panigale's manual suggests 2.5 bar for the OEM RC tires (for street use). However, using that level of pressure would put the SuperCorsa's way over the top of Pirelli's recommended range.

What's your opinion?

#29 · (Edited)
By this time, most of us have replaced their OEM Rosso Corsa's with the same or other models.
As previously mentioned, I recently replaced the Panigale's OEM's with SuperCorsa's.
Hi DarR,

I read the manual and it said that some electronic functions were optimized to work with Rosso Corsa tires (Like DTC level 2, EBC, ABS ...).

Does changing other tires will cause those functions went wrong?

#33 ·
Due to the higher temps and the type of roads where I ride in Australia, The pirelli's(both Rosso's and Supercorsa SP's ) center wears out very quick just like the photo a few pages back. I stuffed a Rear supercorsa after 1000kms after a couple of open limit runs on a hot day at a lower pressure.

The old model Battlax Rs10 were a very good type, very soft on the sides but firm on the center. These have been the only tires I worn out the sides before the center (on my old GSXR1K) The new model RS10 is softer so doesnt last long.
I good mate who has a S1KRR brought 3 sets of old model RS10's just cause he likes them so much.

I currently using Metzelers M7RR's. Im up to 5000kms including 3 track days (another track day this weekend) and the rear is still 3-4mm above the wear marks. Plus these are $150 cheaper a set than pirelli's

In a few months im taking a 7000km trip with a new rear M7rr....

#36 ·
I'm running the OEM Pirelli Corsa Rossos on my 959 and after some experimenting, found I like 34 psi cold, front and rear for the road. You don't get quite the stick as lower pressures but there is some protection for the rims if you hit a nasty pothole at speed as Sinjin mentioned. BTW, this is my third rear tire on the Panigale and I have just over 1200 miles on it now and it's got maybe one or two more rides left before it's toast. I'm noticing the same thing with the RS10s on my new ZX-10R, right at 1000 miles on the rear and it's fading fast. These newer race compound tires really stick but the price you pay is very low mileage. As the old saying goes, you can pay me now or pay me later.

#38 · (Edited)
True Dat. I'm noticing wear on the Monster's rear. I like the Supercorsa's but not for the Monster 1200R as they’re overkill for my use on that bike. When those wear out (in a few months or sooner), I'm considering replacing them with a pair of higher mileage tires such as the Diablo Rosso III or the new Michelin Power RS. Not much else out there as the problem is limited selection for size 200/55 ZR 17.

#39 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the Pirelli SC has a significantly stiffer side wall which allows for the lower pressure settings. Pirelli superbike slicks have a low pressure setting for this reason. (23 -26 psi cold) But as mentioned above, bumping the pressure up a bit for the street is certainly doable.

It's been my experience that unless you move into the sport touring tire range (Pilot Roads / Angel GT's) the (rear) center tire life is quite limited. And even then, unless you are riding track or somewhere with no straights, you'll wear out the center before the sides.

Attachments

#41 ·
The supercorsa SC and Superbike tires are stiffer that the rosso's but they are softer in the carcass than the Dunlops or Metzeler's Racetec's.
An example of this from a previous race meeting is that we had SC/SB in SC0 ccompund needed to run 26-27psi hot rear (80deg C on tire warmers) with a stiffer suspension setup to keep the tire from cold tearing.
The other Pani ran Dunlops which ran at 28-30psi hot rear (60degc on warmers) and a softer suspension setup.

While these were at a track in hot wetaher, it shows two very different setup due to tire difference's.

Tires pressures are not set & forget and may take some playing around to get right to suit your riding.

#40 ·
@dougo1199
Yes, it's always a trade-off. However, I just fell in love with those SC having them on the M1200R. Had to have a pair on the 959. They inspire confidence and just stick like Velcro compared to the RC's. I will be sad to replace them on the Monster because I need more mileage out of that bike's tires but the Panigale now has new found friends.

#42 ·
Thread bump, thought I could get another track day out of my current set of tires but the rear left side is gone after today's event, only 1300miles on that puppy. I was really hammering on a long uphill left hander and I basically have a slick slightly off center.

Everyone at the track was raving about the Q3+ but it looks like they are N/A for our OEM size rear. I do not have an issue with the Pirellis and would happily grab another set but if anyone else has a recommendation on a good street/track tire I'm all ears.

#43 · (Edited)
Everyone at the track was raving about the Q3+ but it looks like they are N/A for our OEM size rear.
There's plenty of people, even in this thread, that are running 180/55's on their 899/959s with no problems with DTC.

I do not have an issue with the Pirellis and would happily grab another set but if anyone else has a recommendation on a good street/track tire I'm all ears.
People have been getting good results with Rosso 3's (ie. @PAN959). I've been running Rosso 3's in the front for 3000 miles (~210 track miles) and just put on a Rosso 3 on the rear a couple of days ago. Literally got 2 miles on them so I can't say anything about them.

#46 ·
I know how good the stock tyres are, iv'e pushed them pretty hard and they haven't let go yet.

Agreed, I'm pretty happy with the Pirelli Corsa Rossos, I hardly ever see the TC light come on unless I get really greedy with the throttle on corner exits. The front is superb, lots of feedback and tons of side grip when leaned in. I'm running Level 3 TC on the road, very unintrusive but seems to keep the rear end in check.

Reactions: dougo1199
#47 ·
The Supercorsa's are absolutely amazing - they're just short of a racing slick Medium compound (all one compound from edge to edge-unlike Stocks that are dual compound) with slight street tread. Here's a trick... rub your finger across a brand new tire, if it comes up black then that is very sticky rubber at temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.