Mount for cell phone or gopro? - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Mount for cell phone or gopro?

Is anyone using a mount for a cell phone or gopro? If so, which ones have worked well for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I found this one:
MotoReva - Ducati Tools and Supplies

At over $100 it seems a little costly. But I'm not sure if there are any other good options. I definitely don't want to put anything on the tank. Ideally I'd like to be able to mount my phone in this location and mount my gopro nearby or somewhere else that makes sense.

2016 Red Ducati Panigale 959
2014 Kawasaki Concours (for long trips)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM

Looks like work out for us too. Don't have to spend a fortune on the motoreva.

Quote:
I'm sure most of us have seen the RAM mounts from MotoReva, but if you've tried to get one recently you also know they have been out of stock since the end of July. Wanting a RAM mount and having no patience I went a different route.

First, I went here: The Telferizer Custom Motorcycle RAM mounts for GPS Systems

I sent an email asking for a quote for a mount for my 899 shipped to my zip code in VT. I was happy to receive an email the very next day with a quote. I was ok with the price ($65 shipped) and as soon as I sent the money the mount was shipped that day and I was provided a tracking number. I was a little skeptical as this was coming from the UK and I am in the U.S. However, I received the mount exactly 7 days later (picture 1 - note, this is after I had installed the mount and compressed the rubber fitting).

I followed the instructions provided and mounted the mount with the rubber compression nut that was included. Unfortunately, after my first ride (the roads aren't exactly pristine where I am most of the time) I noticed that the mount had started to loosen itself up as I road over rough roads. I stopped, attempted to tighten the mount once again but shortly after being on my way it began to loosen up again. So today I came to a easy solution that requires no special tools and should work just as well as the MotoReva mount.

Step 1: Place something over your front fender (I used a towel) so that you don't scratch it. If it's a rainy day and you've got the time, removing the front tire and fender will make this DIY much easier.

Step 2: Locate the steering stem cover underneath the front fairing, back near the radiator (picture 2). Using a flat tip screw driver, remove the cover (picture 3).

Step 3: Find a nut that threads on to the mount (picture 4). I have lots of nuts and bolts kicking around and was lucky enough to find this beauty with a built in washer (believe it came off of an exhaust mount from a 07 GSXR).

Step 4: This is where it gets tricky and would be easier if the fender and front tire were removed. You will need the correct deep well socket for the nut you find, a universal adapter, 3 - three inch extensions. Start by attaching the universal to the socket and then adding one of the extensions. Now, place the nut in to the socket (this is where having the built in washer helped tremendously) (picture 5).

Step 5: From the back side of the wheel feed the socket and extension up into the steering stem (picture 6). When you get the entire extension in the stem add one of the other extensions (picture 7). When you have the 3rd extension attached you should be able to see the nut through the top of the steering stem (Picture 8).

Step 6: This is where having the fender came in useful. With the three extensions connected you can rest the bottom one on to the fender while you prep the mount. I chose to be slightly cautious and put some blue loctite on to the threads of the mount. Then - holding the extension in my right hand I reached around with my left hand and began threading the mount into the nut. After securing the mount tightly (I didn't take torque measurements) I removed the socket and extensions in the same manor that I inserted them.

Step 7: Replace the steering stem cover. I did so by sliding one tab in to place and then using the same flat tip screwdriver to gently pry the opposite tab inward until it clicked in place (picture 9)

Step 8: Remove the towel and enjoy your new ram mount (picture 10)

I have yet to take the bike on any rough roads since the change but I will be sure to report back any negative findings.

SUMMARY:

Total money invested: $65
Total installation time: 30 minutes or less
Special tools required: NONE

-Two Wheels Free The Soul-

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM

I would go directly to the Go Pro site. They have plenty of options and they are meant specifically for the Go Pro.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Once you get the ram ball mounted on your triple tree you can find all sorts of attachments. The best one I find is the Ram X grip.

You need these two below to make it work

-Two Wheels Free The Soul-
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Love the clean install oh the ram base.

Hate the high profile when assembled with attachments and device.

Torn 😕

R
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Has anyone considered using a smart watch instead of getting a mount for their phone?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.H View Post
Love the clean install oh the ram base.

Hate the high profile when assembled with attachments and device.

Torn 😕
Agree. The cell phone cradle is big. It was already on my sport touring bike. So, I put it on because I had it. But I am thinking about getting an x grip cradle which is much lower profile. If I get that, I'll post a picture.
Kevin.H likes this.

2016 Red Ducati Panigale 959
2014 Kawasaki Concours (for long trips)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

I wholly support you testing out everything we agree on. Let's stay on this path 😂

R
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM

I am all in favor of other people testing things out so that I can get their opinions and then be spared having to try out all the terrible ones.

Has anyone considered getting a HUD? Not sure if any are really on the market but I've seen plenty of them at trade shows or Kickstarter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page