Thumb Actuated Rear Brake Experience? - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thumb Actuated Rear Brake Experience?

I have a bit of a twisted right knee and I'm looking for a better way to get some light rear trail braking. I did a quick search and found a few companies that make them and have an email into my independent Ducati shop but wanted to see if there is anyone with experience on this forum.

Not looking to stunt ride or lock up the rear, just a light drag on the rear wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Who makes such a thing? It's a neat idea, moto gp has it

2018 Multistrada 950
2016 959 Panigale
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Garage
Seems pretty cool, straightforward designs (ex: Behringer's, GP Tech's), but seems to be iffy on Ducs (some discussion on a Monster, another Ducati forum). This guy did it on a Desmosedici RR. I would imagine there might be some interference with the left-side controls (down button/horn) on our 959's. Definitely interested in how your convo with the dealer goes; let us know what happens.

Somewhat on-topic, not really thumb-operated, but it made me think of one-handed operation:

Photo Album of One-Handed Setup <---- Reddit Thread

Once again, not really thumb-operated, but still cool nonetheless: Amazing One Arm Motorcycle Rider - Mulholland Riders

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok DJ Shrug, you have found the video of the week! I am sending that everywhere, that dude rocks! The human will never ceases to amaze.

My shop (European Cycle Services) emailed a response that they have done it twice before, I'll be stopping by next week to talk to them and I'll keep the thread alive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Garage
@Kev242 - why not just grip the front more? The rear isn't even necessary ‼️

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Heya Dingo, not using it for deceleration, but for mid corner corrections, a weight transfer to the rear so the front tucks in. A whiff of rear will tighten up my line to adjust for traffic or help recover after cooking a turn. Very helpful on twisty roads I'm unfamiliar with.

My previous bike was not an issue, the way I could lock my knee into the tank allowed for me to trail the brake. Haven't been able to get comfortable doing it on the 959 and my messed up knee starts to fatigue if I cover the brake often. Different rear sets and repositioned tank grips may help but that is my only issue with the bike. If I can get a thumb actuated brake for close to new rear sets....how cool would that be?!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev242 View Post
...A whiff of rear will tighten up my line to adjust for traffic or help recover after cooking a turn. Very helpful on twisty roads I'm unfamiliar with...
At least you're being honest with yourself here...

so you admit you might be going too fast on unfamiliar roads - that's a recipe for disaster no trail brake will help at some unlucky point in time

keep it on the track perhaps? or learn your limits of the road beforehand...

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
so you admit you might be going too fast on unfamiliar roads
I understand the assumption and appreciate the concern...I value my skin more than tossing it around recklessly, on or off the track, ever. I'm talking inches of correction with the rear brake for a smoother turn, not a wholehearted OMG moment.

I find past 40 things tend to heal slowly.
Dingo likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Just got off my usual run but wore my track boots to see if that made a difference, lo and behold, no problem using the rear brake. The soles on these boots are much narrower and thinner which made finding and using the rear brake far easier than my street boots.

I did speak with my shop and they have installed GpTech Thumb Brakes in the past for those of you that may consider the option. I still may try it next spring but it is a lower priority now. My knee was a bit stiff after the ride but way better than before. I will be moving my spending priority towards an Ohlin steering damper.

The down side of my track boots, it was hard as **** to lower my kickstand, not enough sole to grip the end so I had to lean down and do it by hand.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev242 View Post
The down side of my track boots, it was hard as **** to lower my kickstand, not enough sole to grip the end so I had to lean down and do it by hand.
I use my boots every ride and first time it took me SO LONG to get it down (and even thought I took some paint off with my boot - luckily not) but after a while I got used to it. I have to lift the foot peg up with my foot and then use my heel to get the stand down. This weekend I even managed it once without looking!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page