Handlebar look bent after dropped? - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Handlebar look bent after dropped?

Hi,

It bothers me for a few months now.... I will be going to the shop where I bought it. The story is I was trying to the front fairing out back in April so I can replace the windscreen to zero gravity dark smoked one. While I was trying to take the front fairing out my bike moved to the point where the kickstand slip up and the bike dropped I try catching it but no luck. It went down slowly... luckily no fairings damaged but a bent gearshift lever and small scuff scratch/ damage on the left bar end... but I took those bar end and replace it with a mirror barend...

The point is ever since I keep thinking the left handle bar look bent to me but I have been riding ever since and feels like nothing changed.... remember nothing not even a fairing is damaged on the left side....

Anyone can please attach their bike picture and compare it with my bike picture of the left handlebar to see... I can’t compare left with right because the engine start component is in the way for the right side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7CF52D6-1CCA-4503-AB3D-865F72F1E6FE_1535700509742.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	25864   Click image for larger version

Name:	3F2B8199-0DA3-4D48-9C5A-6ADFC55EA81B_1535700528077.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	25866  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Btw I already replace the gearshift lever a few days ago so it feels better to have a fresh one. I was thinking it’s a mental thing to think the handlebar is wrong when it’s fine or normal.... but correct me if I’m wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:33 AM

Garage
It seems to be a little bit to the left, but not just the handle bar, everything. If you look to the forks, itís not aligned to the front fairing. So, IMHO, it is just mental as youíve said. You could try to look at the forks if the handle bar has spun.

Iíll try to take a picture later as itís not on an easy position to do so, I have to take off the cover and move the car, and wouldnít have time before leaving to work.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:34 AM

Looks bent to me.

Remove the clip on bar from the bike and examine it more carefully using a straight edge to confirm that it is true. Replace the bar if it is bent.
sinjin likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Garage
I concur with @Pard . It definitely looks bent IMO.
Easy fix in 5minutes. <$100 for a new bar. The hardest part was removing the stock bar end which you already have done.
sinjin likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:26 PM

The clip on bars are sacrificial lambs... kind of like the collar bone. It is DESIGNED to bend and break in order to prevent catastrophic damage to other more expensive or difficult to source parts. If the opposite were true, you could very well damage the triple or forks, just as how your clavicle could pass that energy to other bones in your upper body that would take longer or be more difficult to heal over time.

Your best bet is to check eBay to see if anyone is selling their stock bars after installing aftermarket clip ons.

I had to replace both of mine on the BMW and found some brand new take offs for less than the cost of just one side.

I concur with both opinions above. It definitely appears to be slightly crooked which means any hard jarring or tweak could compromise the integrity leading to a bad spill. Have it looked at and replaced if necessary.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP Wheels, Akrapovic Full Ti GP Exhaust, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, Bonamici Rearsets, R&G Sliders.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

For those of you who answered that it is bent... got pictures of your 959 panigale to compare with mine???
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I concur with @Pard . It definitely looks bent IMO.
Easy fix in 5minutes. <$100 for a new bar. The hardest part was removing the stock bar end which you already have done.
Yeah remove it to put barend mirrors because stock mirrors sucks but it’s already broken too
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotonete View Post
It seems to be a little bit to the left, but not just the handle bar, everything. If you look to the forks, it’s not aligned to the front fairing. So, IMHO, it is just mental as you’ve said. You could try to look at the forks if the handle bar has spun.

I’ll try to take a picture later as it’s not on an easy position to do so, I have to take off the cover and move the car, and wouldn’t have time before leaving to work.

I didn’t straighten my bike up when I took the picture but it just the left that looks bent that’s all without other damages....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Garage
Hope it helps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page