AIS valve removal - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

AIS valve removal

Does removal of the AIS valve set off the check engine light? I put some Driven block off plates on but they didn't come with a plug for the harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 AM

I've got these on my bench waiting for a Rapid. Bike EVO to install. Please update this thread when you find out. I expect they will, the EVAP did.

Thanks,
t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
09 Triumph 675 Track Bike
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

True but it doesn't set a check engine light off. That is what I really want to know, will it be a hidden code like the charcoal canister or will it set a light off on the dash. I measured the resistance of the AIS solenoid to be 21 ohms. I may just get some resisters and make my own.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forewarned View Post
True but it doesn't set a check engine light off. That is what I really want to know, will it be a hidden code like the charcoal canister or will it set a light off on the dash. I measured the resistance of the AIS solenoid to be 21 ohms. I may just get some resisters and make my own.
My Evap throw a CEL. It measured 22ohms so you might want to grab a couple of resistors.

t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
My Evap throw a CEL. It measured 22ohms so you might want to grab a couple of resistors.

t_bare
Sorry I was thinking about the exhaust valve...my bad. When I eliminated the charcoal canister I left the breather valve in place. Is that what set off your CE light, the removal of the breather valve?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry I was thinking about the exhaust valve...my bad. When I eliminated the charcoal canister I left the breather valve in place. Is that what set off your CE light, the removal of the breather valve?
Yes, I cut the mount and 2 attachment points off the canister, capped it and left the valve in place. Plumbing and canister gone.

I've got a track day this weekend, after that, I'll be installing Rapid Bike, deleting exhaust valve and AIS. Also having Fast Bike do a full Ohlins setup. I have been hemorrhaging cash since I bought this thing.

Waiting on decals then off to paint.

t_bare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6120.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	26810  

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I can confirm that putting a 20 ohm resister in the plug of the AIS valve will keep it from throwing codes. I confirmed it by running error codes in MelcoDiag before and after removing the valve.
t_bare likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that putting a 20 ohm resister in the plug of the AIS valve will keep it from throwing codes. I confirmed it by running error codes in MelcoDiag before and after removing the valve.
I installed the block off and removed everything but the valve. I capped the top of the valve and reinstalled it into the air box. I wasn't in a place the block it, remove it, and build a resistor plug. I was working on the Rapid Bike. This bike is pretty tough to work on.

t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Sorry in advance if Iím hijacking your thread and sounding like a moron but... This used to be a standard mod to do to your bike but it was much easier back in the day. Have you seen the smartmoto kit? It comes with the resistor and everything you need to fully remove the ais without throwing a code and its only 50 bucks, looks like good quality, nice looking machined block offs. I was thinking about doing this but im not sure it would be worth it for me, I realistically wouldnít see much of a difference for the amount of work required to install it, looks like a bit if a job on the panigale. I donít think I can post links, but just search smartmoto ais removal kit.

https://smartmoto-electronics.com/pa...plates-ple-114
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa g View Post
Sorry in advance if Iím hijacking your thread and sounding like a moron but... This used to be a standard mod to do to your bike but it was much easier back in the day. Have you seen the smartmoto kit? It comes with the resistor and everything you need to fully remove the ais without throwing a code and its only 50 bucks, looks like good quality, nice looking machined block offs. I was thinking about doing this but im not sure it would be worth it for me, I realistically wouldnít see much of a difference for the amount of work required to install it, looks like a bit if a job on the panigale. I donít think I can post links, but just search smartmoto ais removal kit.

https://smartmoto-electronics.com/pa...plates-ple-114
I already had the Driven Block Off plates. If I had seen the Smartmoto I'd have gone that route

t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page