959 purchasing - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

959 purchasing

Are there any differences between 959 ‘17, 18’ or 19’ ? Im looking to purchase a white 959 for the most aggressive price i can get as its really a toy and not necessarily needed.. so im looking for one in nj/ny/pa and wanted to make sure im not missing anything that will help me sace. I have also come across some used bikes from ducati dealers, do used ducati’s fair well used- if not, after what mileage with servicing/repairs become a factor?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 AM

The standard 959 are all the same aside from color. The corsa model is a little different with ohlins suspension and damper.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Used

As far as I know they are identical from year to year. I bought a 17 model in 18 and got it for 11.5k, it wasnt even assembled yet, I couldnt pass that up. A used one could be a good option, ducati owners seem to take good care of them, especially if its in the two year warranty period. Look for one that has the weep hole drip fix. My dealer installed something on mine, there is now a hose that comes out of the weep hole. I havent taken it apart to see exactly what they did but it does not drip any longer. Any way, good luck searching, great bikes.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Mileage

The valve service is at 15k i think it is, something like that, its a little bit pricey about 1500. Other than that oil changes are at 7k if you feel comfortable letting it go that long. You could do the oil changes and air filter yourself, it doesnt look too bad, ill do my own when its out of warranty. Valves i would let the dealer do unless your a good mechanic, its a tough job.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:53 PM

Service intervals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F02E229-15FD-4591-93EF-C8CE6FF78CE0_1555952021520.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	26806  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM

New to the forum. I am also purchasing a 959 2017 is there anything I should look for as far as issues. I read on another forum that the 959 has trouble starting. Overall would you say the 959 is a reliable bike as I need to use it to commute.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop44 View Post
New to the forum. I am also purchasing a 959 2017 is there anything I should look for as far as issues. I read on another forum that the 959 has trouble starting. Overall would you say the 959 is a reliable bike as I need to use it to commute.
Well just to be honest, mine is in the shop again fixing a coolant leak. Its leaked for a year and everytime they think they have it fixed it leaks somewhere else. Its terribly annoying, its been in the shop for 3 months of the first year of ownership. Not everyone has had issues like mine but that doesnít make me feel better, Iím kind of over it, it sucks. Iíve put almost 5k miles on it and am not sure I would want it as a daily commuter bike but itís doable. To me itís not much fun in stop and go traffic, itís fun to run it. When its good itís great, when its not itís in the shop...lol... sad but true for me. The dealer has been great so far, it just takes a long time to get it worked on. Its been in for a week almost this time and supposedly im getting it back tomorrow, we will see. It was a hose clamp this time, squirter unit last time and the weep hole thing the first time (but it was really the weep hole and squirter unit) the weep hole thing is really no big deal mine doesnít even really spit any out anymore.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop44 View Post
Give it a good test, start it cold and then start it hot. Look for coolant leaks before you start it from cold let it sit a while after riding and check again (I've had 4 Pani's including a 959 without leaks). Servicing is something to consider in the price if it's due it will cost you a bit but won't kill you.
I've used them as commuters without major issues but they are a superbikes so some people can't handle that fact. Oh and check the steering stops are not broken off they are fragile.

899 - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info will let you know how I get on.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM

I am buying mostly for fun at the weekends blasting around the twisties. But need to use it for work in the summer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page