Strong gas/fuel smell after ride - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Strong gas/fuel smell after ride

I took my bike out of winter storage recently to go riding on a somewhat hot day (81 degrees F). Engine temp stayed mainly in the 199-216 range throughout the ride. It was a one hour ride round trip. That is a very normal ride for me last season. After getting back to the house, I moved it into the garage while it was still hot. As I was getting ready to tuck it away, I started smelling gasoline.

I've had the bike for a year now and it has never smelled like gas after a ride. When I asked the dealer about this, I was told to vent out the garage and see if the problem persists. Dealer asked questions about exposure to heat (does it sit in the sun? no). Reason for their questions is that the gas caps are built to release pressure from heat so it can smell like gas on hot days or after rides. What I find strange about the explanation is that this hasn't ever happened with this bike before.

Anyone else experience this?

2018 959 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM

When hot and especially on a hot day fuel vapours will exit via the tank overflows, If it was me I'd lift the tank and check connections including the breather/overflow just to be sure.

899 - rapidbike evo/shift assist - M4 calipers/330 rotors - hel brake lines/abs deleted - oz racing - 1299 headers/termi ti cans - flat link/spring - dp rearsets - 1299 slipper/mag covers - 1299 stator/flywheel - ti bolts a plenty.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 PM

I've noticed that if I don't fill the tank after a fairly long ride I get gas fumes in my garage. It's not super strong but it's there. If I fill the bike up right before I get home I don't get any smell at all.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Did you remove your charcoal cannister?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa g View Post
Did you remove your charcoal cannister?
I have not. Does removing it help with the gas smell?

2018 959 Panigale
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 AM

Garage
Be careful when lifting the tank, the fuel line can be short enough to brake the nipple without knowing.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymoto99 View Post
I have not. Does removing it help with the gas smell?
Not at all, it will make it worse because the tank vents to the open air now under your bike. I took mine off and get a gas smell but it’s not bad or anything. If you overfill your tank gas will get in the charcoal cannister, this can make it hard to start as well. I know because I did it 😬
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

After venting out the garage the gas smell went away and didn't seem to return. I went on two rides today. Weather this time around was a bit cooler (77 degrees F). After both rides, I sniffed around the bike and didn't smell any traces of gas.

Perhaps the recent prevalence of gas smell was due to a long, hot ride right out of winter storage. Or there's a chance I overfilled the gas tank before I put it away for winter. I'll continue to monitor it.

2018 959 Panigale
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:43 AM

I had a similar issue on my 899, turned out to be the fuel pump gasket located under the tank
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I went on a few 88 degree ambient temp rides, which is hotter than my first ride out of winter storage. I haven't smelled any gas since that first ride. Just based on the patterns so far, I don't think I have any gasket leaks or loose fuel lines. Not sure if heat + fuel vapor is an explanation anymore, leaving a potentially overfilled gas tank as the likely cause?

2018 959 Panigale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page