2018 Panigale 959 Track Bike - Page 3 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 1,803
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteonjon View Post
Thatís some knowledge you just dropped on me. I probably freaked out and held in the clutch while rear braking. Good observation. Iíll keep that order in mind.
You'll get much more comfortable with the bike, quickly, if you ride without using your rear brake. On your next track event, assuming you know the track of course, do a session without touching your rear brake - use only engine and front. Start slow to get use to becoming comfortable using only front brake. You'll be amazed how much quicker you'll go once you're used to it and it becomes second nature.
riteonjon likes this.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
Dingo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Without a slipper clutch and you're SOL.
Thanks for the info mate!

So this technique would be impossible on an 899 with stock clutch?

Last edited by Helishmeli; 08-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Helishmeli is offline  
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
Bike has a slipper clutch so no need to perfectly rev match while downshifting. Just let it fly. You need to be able to downshift and brake at the same time so work on that. Itís also very applicable to street riding.

Dingoís right. You only need front brakes at the track especially when beginning. Get all your braking done before tipping the bike over for the corner. Gradually youíll be able to start trail braking but that way above your pay grade right now and will cause you to crash.

One big thing I noticed was that you were holding your breath a lot. Breathe. Itíll keep you less tense.
riteonjon likes this.
rac1ngsnak3 is offline  
 
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1ngsnak3 View Post
Bike has a slipper clutch so no need to perfectly rev match while downshifting. Just let it fly. You need to be able to downshift and brake at the same time so work on that. Itís also very applicable to street riding.



Dingoís right. You only need front brakes at the track especially when beginning. Get all your braking done before tipping the bike over for the corner. Gradually youíll be able to start trail braking but that way above your pay grade right now and will cause you to crash.



One big thing I noticed was that you were holding your breath a lot. Breathe. Itíll keep you less tense.


Thanks mate. I went out and rode some twisties today and tried front brake only. I feel like covering the rear brake is a safety blanket for me. Using front brake only felt naked. I need to relearn and study film.

As for breathing, I didnít even think about that. Iíll try to be cognizant of it.

That first track day was sensory overload. 20 min track sessions, class time, tire warmers, breaking in my Leathers and boots. Hydrating, then back on track. Itís a lot of ****.

Iím a confident rider too. Practice makes perfect.

A few more track days and I should ride like Andrea dovisioso!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
riteonjon is online now  
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteonjon View Post
Thanks mate. I went out and rode some twisties today and tried front brake only. I feel like covering the rear brake is a safety blanket for me. Using front brake only felt naked. I need to relearn and study film.

As for breathing, I didnít even think about that. Iíll try to be cognizant of it.

That first track day was sensory overload. 20 min track sessions, class time, tire warmers, breaking in my Leathers and boots. Hydrating, then back on track. Itís a lot of ****.

Iím a confident rider too. Practice makes perfect.

A few more track days and I should ride like Andrea dovisioso!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah no... I hate to break it to you but itís going to require more than a few track days even just to break out of the beginners class. Not to burst bubbles but it takes years just to make it to intermediates and then a few more years to jump to advance. But that doesnít mean it wonít be fun. Also donít be a confident rider. Itíll only get you in trouble. Ride within yourself and not think a track day is a race. People who think this are the worst. In fact, donít ride w anyone except instructors.

As for a lot of sh!t, consolidate. Donít worry about the tire warmers. You donít need them. Donít go out on every session. Only go out when you feel ready. Donít rush yourself. And if you miss the start of a session itís no big deal. Just get to the pit and the marshal will tell you when itís safe to go.
Pard and riteonjon like this.
rac1ngsnak3 is offline  
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 1,803
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishmeli View Post
...So this technique would be impossible on an 899 with stock clutch?
If the 899 stock clutch is not a slipper clutch, then you've got a lot of work to do to control the machine when you're pushing the limits mechanically. If it was me I'd put a slipper clutch in it - if you plan on keeping the bike. Or just get a 959

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
Dingo is offline  
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
If it was me I'd put a slipper clutch in it - if you plan on keeping the bike. Or just get a 959
How tough a job is it to install? Compared to lets say a slip-on install; three times as hard?

Reason I asked is because I heard the 899 has a "slipper 'functioning' clutch" on another forum. I am curious if the 899 clutch can be slipper-functioning-enough to do back-ins.

Even the manual mentions slipper (attached image).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slipper.png
Views:	21
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	27256  

2014 899 Panigale, but this forum gets more traffic
Helishmeli is offline  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 1,803
Garage
@Helishmeli - it's easy if you've done it before or are mechanically inclined and have the tools. I'm sure you can find a video online that shows the entire process. Here's a list of things to do to an 899 from 44Teeth

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
Dingo is offline  
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
sinjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 439
The 899 does not have a slipper function clutch. It is the only member of the Panigale family without one stock. However, installing a Yoyodyne or STM is a massive upgrade. They also perform better than the stock slipper function clutch in the 959, 1199, and 1299.

Great investment. EBC doesn't replace the benefit of having the upgrade.

It is a pain in the a$$ to install because it is a single piece clutch cover, so you have to remove a lot to get to it including plenty of oil to get the case off. Also, you need a clutch removal tool and the slipper you buy is only the basket, so you have to reinstall the stock plates and in the correct order.
Dingo likes this.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders


2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP Wheels, Akrapovic Full Ti GP Exhaust, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, Bonamici Rearsets, R&G Sliders.

Last edited by sinjin; 08-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.
sinjin is offline  
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1ngsnak3 View Post
Yeah no... I hate to break it to you but itís going to require more than a few track days even just to break out of the beginners class. Not to burst bubbles but it takes years just to make it to intermediates and then a few more years to jump to advance. But that doesnít mean it wonít be fun. Also donít be a confident rider. Itíll only get you in trouble. Ride within yourself and not think a track day is a race. People who think this are the worst. In fact, donít ride w anyone except instructors.



As for a lot of sh!t, consolidate. Donít worry about the tire warmers. You donít need them. Donít go out on every session. Only go out when you feel ready. Donít rush yourself. And if you miss the start of a session itís no big deal. Just get to the pit and the marshal will tell you when itís safe to go.


Rephrase: confident but cognizant of abilities or lack there of. Understanding of needing more time on the seat.

Agree about taking my time with C group. Also, Iím not racing anyone. But I do disagree that itíll take years to graduate from class to class. It may, if my track days are far and few in between. My educated guess is that I can move up to next level in 4 or 5 additional days with those days being in close proximity. Iíd consider myself an advanced student of this game.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dingo likes this.
riteonjon is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome