Advice on potential oil leak (Rhode Island) - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dougo1199
  • 1 Post By dougo1199

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Advice on potential oil leak (Rhode Island)

Hey guys, I have an 899 but I thought I would post here too.

Today I noticed a weird leak out of my lower left fairing.

Here's an album of the situation.

I initially thought it was oil, but the oil gauge window still looks like it's above the max line (pic 3).

I noticed the substance made its way onto 60% of the radiator (pic 4).

I then popped off the lower left fairing and took some pictures of inside (pics 6, 7, 8). I see some of the liquid on what I believe is the engine casing, the liquid is also covering the wires in the area.

So I am looking for advice;

1. Is it definitely oil? Looks to be a little yellow in pic 2. The oil window-gauge being so high makes me think it's something else, but I don't know what else it could be. I did not notice any spots in the garage underneath the bike.

2. Would the radiator need to be replaced? Or anything else covered in liquid? (if so, anyone selling a used radiator please PM me)

3. Would it be a bad idea to ride tomorrow?

4. If anyone has any insight as to how this happened, I would very much appreciate it. What's my best course of action?

Last year I asked my service advisor why the oil-window shows oil over the max-fill line. He kind of brushed it off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a similar issue with my 1199, although mine seems to be coming from behind the oil cooler. (Opposite side as your pics) My first guess for your bike is the valve cover gaskets need replaced, but I don't see any photos of the top-end. On the Panigales' the valve cover gaskets are usually the first thing to look at with an engine oil leak, especially on the 1199's or 899's. Also, having too much oil is not good for the motor, and it looks like yours is way high. This will exaggerate an oil leak due to the pressure build up, etc.

I didn't notice any damage to your radiator so I would assume it will clean up. Radiators for these bikes are crazy expensive! I would give the bike a thorough cleaning and inspect before riding it anymore. You could be setting yourself up for a dangerous situation with a leak like that.

2016 Panigale 959
2012 Panigale 1199 (Track Only)
2001 Monster S4
2010 Aprilia SR50 Factory
2013 Beta 300 RR

Last edited by dougo1199; 08-06-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo1199 View Post
I have a similar issue with my 1199, although mine seems to be coming from behind the oil cooler. (Opposite side as your pics) My first guess for your bike is the valve cover gaskets need replaced, but I don't see any photos of the top-end. On the Panigales' the valve cover gaskets are usually the first thing to look at with an engine oil leak, especially on the 1199's or 899's. Also, having too much oil is not good for the motor, and it looks like yours is way high. This will exaggerate an oil leak due to the pressure build up, etc.

I didn't notice any damage to your radiator so I would assume it will clean up. Radiators for these bikes are crazy expensive! I would give the bike a thorough cleaning and inspect before riding it anymore. You could be setting yourself up for a dangerous situation with a leak like that.
Thank you! I'll try to get a photo of the top-end.

I set up an appointment at my local shop. The appointment is on the 15th, and they said they will order any parts after they look over the bike. However, I am wondering if I should just buy the valve cover gaskets now, to minimize the amount of time the bike spends in the shop.

In the attached photo I highlighted the valve cover gaskets, did you order both internal and external? Did you order two sets and replace both horizontal and vertical?

I will have to ride the bike to the shop, so I think I should drain some oil to get it under the max-fill line. Do you think I could just stick tubing into the oil reservoir and pump out cold oil via syringe?

Also, you're right the radiators are crazy expensive. There's used ones on ebay but who knows if it's bent or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCG.png
Views:	25
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	27198  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Helishmeli - Yes, part numbers 7 & 8 are the ones you need. I would recommend doing both cylinders. The dealer also recommend I use a silicone gasket product called "Ducati Bond". I know of others who have used a basic high-temp silicone gasket product from their local auto parts store with good results as well. The lesson here is the recommendation to use a silicone gasket product along with the rubber gaskets, even though the Ducati manual states not to use a liquid gasket product.

A syringe and tube works great for removing oil from the case via the oil fill.

2016 Panigale 959
2001 Monster S4
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
@Helishmeli - Yes, part numbers 7 & 8 are the ones you need. I would recommend doing both cylinders. The dealer also recommend I use a silicone gasket product called "Ducati Bond". I know of others who have used a basic high-temp silicone gasket product from their local auto parts store with good results as well. The lesson here is the recommendation to use a silicone gasket product along with the rubber gaskets, even though the Ducati manual states not to use a liquid gasket product.

A syringe and tube works great for removing oil from the case via the oil fill.
If by Ducati Bond you mean Threebond 1215, then I'll look into it.

Thanks dude, much appreciated!!

Last edited by Helishmeli; 08-08-2019 at 01:57 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Just to be clear, the real cylinder covers have to come off for this, correct?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishmeli View Post
If by Ducati Bond you mean Threebond 1215, then I'll look into it.

Thanks dude, much appreciated!!
I'd have to take a peek at the tube again, but I'm sure it's probably made by someone like Threebond, etc. I think the key is it has to be suitable for high-temps.
Helishmeli likes this.

2016 Panigale 959
2001 Monster S4
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishmeli View Post
Just to be clear, the real cylinder covers have to come off for this, correct?
Not sure if you meant to say "real" or "rear", but both valve covers will have to come off. Also, when removing the radiators, be sure and keep them in the plastic frame they're mounted in. This way you can remove both at the same time with minimal tear down of the hoses, etc. They're actually quite simple to remove.
Helishmeli likes this.

2016 Panigale 959
2001 Monster S4
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure if you meant to say "real" or "rear", but both valve covers will have to come off. Also, when removing the radiators, be sure and keep them in the plastic frame they're mounted in. This way you can remove both at the same time with minimal tear down of the hoses, etc. They're actually quite simple to remove.
Yes I meant rear, my mistake, thank you for the info!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page