Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Tank Capacity...

22K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Sdg24 
#1 ·
Hey all!

Just wondering what you's have to say about this, but the 959's tank capacity is listed as 4.5 gallons (17 l) but everytime I go to fill up, she caps at around 2.5 gallons (9.5 l) has anyone else been experiencing something like this? Or is it just me...?

Haven't tried running her completely dry, and filling from there, as most my fills are when the fuel indicator light comes on.

#3 ·
Also, I've noticed that often the fuel indicator will come on for a few miles then go off for awhile then come on again, etc. I'm assuming it's because of different angle, etc that the reading changes. As Dingo said, you have quite a bit of fuel when the light comes on. If I remember, it's roughly 1.3 gallons. So, you can still go quite a few miles/kilos without risk of running out.

That being said, I fill up often when it's convenient and haven't ridden more than 15 miles after the light has come on.

#12 ·
@YOGI-G
Totally agree. Changing the algorithm should not prove difficult. You may be right about sensors however, but for me, it's only the last one that really counts. Mine does come on early then turns off until the final one lights up. I actually like the advance warning and does not bother me. All said, your points should not be too expensive for Ducati to upgrade. Hope they're paying attention as the Multi-Strada has had this "distance to empty" feature for years.

#14 ·
It depends on how you ride it, at 100 miles I’m looking for a gas station. If your taking it easy the light comes on around 115 or so and you can go another 40 miles with normal riding. If your pushing it the light will come on sooner than that. Just pay attention to your gas mileage as you get to know the bike. I always set my trip A when i fill up and do the math. Normal riding you can get 40 miles to the gallon.

#18 ·
Thanks for the responses on the Fuel. My take away is: look for a Shell or Chevron at 100 miles or, if the light comes on, take it easy and you have about 30 miles before you're f*cked.

Thanks, from San Francisco Bay Area. Wish i could make it to Laguna Seca Round this WSBK weekend! they are unveiling a special V4 916 Edition with Carl Fogarty being there.

#19 ·
When I fill up I get about the same... 2.8 gallons. This is with the bike completely upright (sitting on the bike) and filling it as close to full as I can. I believe the tank is 4.4-4.5 gal.

But, when I am filling up the gas light has usually just come on. This usually equates to 100-110 miles. Typically the gas light will come on and flicker on an off for 10-20 miles before remaining on constantly. After which, I can go approximately 30-35 more miles before running dry (ask me how I know). To be on the safe side, the max I will ride my bike before filling is about 125-130 miles. Beyond that I feel like you are unnecessarily risking a nice walk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.