Culprit to the insane heat burn on right thigh..IMO - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Culprit to the insane heat burn on right thigh..IMO

That giant hole located on the right side of the exhaust heat shield..

I went on a 2 hour ride last weekend and my bike got so hot, it left boils on my right thigh. My left thigh got warm but it was bearable.
I literally had to open and close my legs every 10 seconds to vent the heat.

So after tending to my heat wounds, I went to inspect the bike.
I noticed the exhaust heat shield had a "silver dollar" sized hole in it.
I don't really know why it's there but I'm assuming it's for venting.

Here's my theory..
As you're riding, your legs are pressed up against the side of your panigale.
This blocks the airflow from getting to the exhaust pipe located under your seat.
Since the airflow is being blocked by your legs, heat from the exhaust pipe is rising and exiting from that giant hole.
IMO, this is why our right thighs are getting way hotter then our left.

I'm really considering covering that hole up with some sort of heat shielding aluminum tape.

not my picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:00 PM

Garage
interesting... my bike never got that hot... but your theory is plausible

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:25 AM

There are other threads on this issue pointing to the engine covers as the reason for high heat. I've read a few threads were people have tried Carbon Fiber engine covers and had a level of success. I've had my bike since July and I havent' really had a problem. But i live in Jersey, and right about now, that seat warmer is coming in real handy

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcos View Post
Here's my theory..
As you're riding, your legs are pressed up against the side of your panigale.
This blocks the airflow from getting to the exhaust pipe located under your seat.
Since the airflow is being blocked by your legs, heat from the exhaust pipe is rising and exiting from that giant hole.
IMO, this is why our right thighs are getting way hotter then our left.

I'm really considering covering that hole up with some sort of heat shielding aluminum tape.
Try out the aluminum tape, but I doubt it would cause any noticeable change. I don't believe that hole has enough size nor positioning for enough flow rate to go through it to roast our right leg. If at a standstill, natural convection would move a majority of the heat from the exhaust or under the shield towards the license plate, but I could see that that hole would direct heat towards our right leg then.

I believe the right vs. left roasting is more related to the cooling loop; the flow of coolant probably goes from left to right around the jacket on the rear cylinder bank. Most of the heat that we feel on our thighs is due to the head, while the rear exhaust pipe primarily contributes to the butt warming feature.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Yup I was completely wrong...
Went on another long ride over the weekend and got burned, again.....

I used the aluminum tape I purchased to heat shield the inside of the subframe cover. Hopefully it'll help...
I'll also be riding with a compression sleeve on my thighs from now on.

I love this bike but this is a huge flaw we have to deal with.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
interesting... my bike never got that hot... but your theory is plausible
Mine is not that hot either. Whatever heat I had at 50mph is gone at 70mph. My only mod is replacing the stock seat with the thicker DP racing seat.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 PM

I just brought my bike home from the dealer. I got 5 miles up the street and my leg was on fire. It took 150 miles to get home and I have what looks like in between 1st and 2nd degree burns on my right thigh. Bumps or boils or whatever, and it hurts like ****.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idzr0 View Post
I just brought my bike home from the dealer. I got 5 miles up the street and my leg was on fire. It took 150 miles to get home and I have what looks like in between 1st and 2nd degree burns on my right thigh. Bumps or boils or whatever, and it hurts like ****.
What motorcycle are you coming from? - Found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idzr0 View Post
I have been a Yamaha rider since 1993. I've owned 5 Yamahas, 2 FZR600s and 3 R6s. My last bike was stolen and since i'm a bit older and have a little bit of extra income I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to joining the group!
Anecdotal - many have no problems with the heat, some have problem with it, and 1 or 2 users on here have reported getting burnt by their 959s. You left your leg to cook on the cylinder heads/rear exhaust pipe without ever getting air to your thighs and chose to continue on for another ~145 miles? Next level masochism.

I'm not sure any amount of changes you do will help - you may be the minority that is just too sensitive to the heat.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings

Last edited by DJ Shrug; 07-21-2017 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
devVent ON: I think all these guys that are complaining about the heat the engine puts out, and getting burns are f'n pu$$ies - grow some thicker skin and take the skirt off! It's a [email protected] Race Bike for F's Sake!!!
devVent Off:

So now that I got that out of the way, I found that IF/WHEN I feel the heat more than usual (perhaps the wind blows the wrong direction sitting at a red light) all I do is position myself further back in the seat, forcing my legs to open more directing air to the inside of my legs.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
devVent ON: I think all these guys that are complaining about the heat the engine puts out, and getting burns are f'n pu$$ies - grow some thicker skin and take the skirt off! It's a [email protected] Race Bike for F's Sake!!!
devVent Off:

So now that I got that out of the way, I found that IF/WHEN I feel the heat more than usual (perhaps the wind blows the wrong direction sitting at a red light) all I do is position myself further back in the seat, forcing my legs to open more directing air to the inside of my legs.
Hahaha! This.
Dingo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page