Warning light when hot. Please help!! - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Warning light when hot. Please help!!

Gday new to the forum from queensland aus. Never owned a duke before, but got my first baby about 2 months ago. Only ever owned jap litre bikes before this. She is a 2016 959 with 3500km on the clock. All services correct and cosmeticaly A1. She has been a little temperamental since owning though. I have noticed as of the last week or so, that when the bike reaches 103celcius in stop start traffic, the fans kick in and she cools just like any other bike...... BUT the orange triangle warning light has been coming on everytime she reaches this point!! As soon as she cools down with fans on it goes away, but as soon as stopped and heated back up, it comes strait back. Surely this warning light at 103 celcius isnt normal? Can anyone please shed some light on what i should be doing,? I only have 2 months of the factory warranty left too, which transferred over from last owner. Have also checked in menu and there a no stored or active codes. Just dont wanna do any major damage to my baby, she is the newest and most expensive bike i have ever owned. If anyone can help, thanks in advance. Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
I have seen mine at 104 Celsius and has never triggered any warning lights whatsoever.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 AM

Garage
Hey @Toddy959 , congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Family! About what you're experiencing, it's par for the course - here's what I suggest... try and find this product or something like it - https://www.redlineoil.com/supercool-with-waterwetter - it really works and can drop the operating temp 10 degrees

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Gday dingo, cheers for your reply. The first month or so when reaching these temps in stop start traffic, the warning light never appeared. Thats why i thought odd that its just started. I just replicated this in my driveway on camera to show a workshop. At 104celcius the light came on and stayed on, i cut bike off and started strait away and it didnt come back second time. In driveway idling is the hottest its been, 106 celcius but then fans took it back down few degres. So you think dont worry too much? Your advice will be highly listened too. The lical suzuki dealer sells the water wetter, its the only place ive seen it actually. Hear you guys talk about it often over there on various forums, but musnt be a huge seller here. I will definately try this. I just dont wanna do any damage. Have you or anyone else had theres generic warning light come on around this time? Cheers
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Double check your coolant level as well, it is a pain in the arse to see, and probably better off making your own "dipstick" to accurately know the level but this could be the culprit.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Garage
There's something wrong, but temp-wise, 104C shouldn't kick out an error. Mine normally runs at 216F (102C) but I've had my bike show "HOT" without orange light error, so there's something else going on.

It seems like you tried to check the codes, but see if you can get it to show the orange light, then immediately (ie. keep the bike hot, don't let it cool) follow the "error indication" steps and check the code. Since the light disappears when it cools down, perhaps if you read it when the bike is over temp, it might show the code.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 AM

Garage
I've yet to have any light come on. I'm not a good judge of running temps because I use SuperCool - it can only help lower the running temp, can't hurt.
I think @DJ Shrug has a point - something isn't right based on your description @Toddy959 . If it's the sensor itself or a bad connection, I'd bring it in and have them go thru it. One question though @Toddy959 - have you seen any coolant weeping from the weep hole on the left side of the motor, or from the overflow below the engine - when it's at the hottest and the light is on the dash?

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Gday fellas, cheers again for the help. SO I TOOK off left side fairings tonight andYES @Dingo i can see a little hole in one of the crevices on the side of the motor, sort of just above and in from clutch slave cylinder and theres a little bit of bright pink liquid. Is this coolant? Its trail leads to that tiny little hole with no bolt or anything in it. I got my hand in there to wipe some up and it doesnt have a smell. Its a little bit jelly in consistency. Maybe coolant thats cooked on the motor? All help appreciated. Im booked with brisbane motorcycles next week, but would rather try and diagnose and fix myself as most places here in queensland charge heaps and do little!!! Or at least i can go in with this wealth of info and they’ll realise they cant try and blow smoke up my a!s
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Also will try and see if it seeps whilst running in the morning. Unfortunately cant try now as the neighbours wont be to impressed. Just read through other threads and noticed this thing is a problem!!! So now ive got a warning light every now and then and a bloody coolant leak. It definately is just few drops coming out of tiny hole and after checking closer it looks like its around the the hose clamp above this point also. Just contacted last owner about warranty transfer and to see if I’ll have any problems at the shop, and he finally disclosed to me that the place where he purchased ,installed a kit a few months ago for this leak. He never let me know that when inspecting to buy. Oh well silly me hey!!! He rekons his dealer said ducati have sent out certain kits to there dealers to solve this issue. ??? And apparently mine has had this installed!!! But after @Dingo asked me to check, i definately have a few drops of pink in this area. 2 problems to fix now!!! Maybe i should of stuck with the japs, never had these issues with any of them, and they were nowhere near as expensive!!! Just always wanted a ducati since i was a kid, hope it all works out!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Garage
Yep, that pink jelly is just cooked on/dried OEM coolant. It could be a loose hose clamp or weeping. Coolant weeping is relatively "normal" and might be a warranty claim. I wasn't successful in getting mine fixed, but over time (2 years, 12000 miles), it seemed to have fixed itself. This is the first time I've heard about these kits to fix the issue - not saying it doesn't exist, but the previous owner might be saying things to get you off his case. Regardless, coolant leaking also does not result in the orange error light, there has to be something else going on.

Sounds like you were pawned off a potentially bad bike, especially since the previous owner didn't tell you these things upfront. Tough to say whether or not this is a "Ducati" issue and you potentially could have similar issues with literally any other manufacturer. Don't be the minority that makes poor reliability and Ducati synonymous to the masses, its certainly not the case in the current generation of Ducatis.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page