Coolant Leak - Page 7 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
That is indeed a frustrating tale.

I no longer have the 959. Sold it at 6k miles a few months back, riding a Hypermotard now. The hyper had some warranty work done in the first few hundred miles as well. Ducati ... can't live with em, can't live ...

FWIW, I had no additional leakage on my 959 after the first replacement.

Sounds like your leak, not coming from the weep hole, is a different gasket failure, not the typical water pump leak.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply, we’ll see what happens when its fully diagnosed. The water pump is on the right side under the clutch housing, so yeah, sounds like I have a bad pump and leaking through the gasket maker stuff they use. If it persists I won’t keep the panigale, leaning towards a monster but the hypermotard looks like way too much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 AM

Looks like mine is showing signs of weeping. I never noticed any coolant leaks until recently taking it out of winter storage. Answers from this forum and other forums are kind of scary to hear; this is something that's expected. However it is consistent with what the dealer had to say: it is normal for engine to have a small coolant leak, especially for lower mileage bikes coming out of storage (didn't really understand the explanation why, something about seals and gaskets). They also told me to monitor coolant levels. If the weeping is causing coolant levels to drop quickly, then that's an issue I should bring in for servicing.

My past 3 Japanese motorcycles never did this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_141311.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	27074   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_141654.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	27076  

2018 959 Panigale
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:21 AM

Garage
@tymoto99 - your previous Japanese motorcycles didn't have desmodromic valve actuation

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
@tymoto99 - your previous Japanese motorcycles didn't have desmodromic valve actuation
Indeed.

I guess it is a cultural norm that allows for less than perfect QA and a broad tolerance by customers to be assigned unsolicited beta testing.

At some point this deficiency will evolve and disappear.

The ridiculous QA oversights and we don't give a **** failures on my hyper include critical trellis to main frame joints that had a bolt which was not threaded home short by 2 mm due to dirty threads and yet still painted as complete, and a fairly important electronics function that was either never tested or allowed to go out inoperative on the entire model line. I discovered that one and pointed it out to my dealer.

No word or clue when it may or if it will ever be resolved.

But ... I love my Ducati! Really do.
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
can you explain it like I'm 5 on how having the desmodromic valve actuation would be an explanation to the weeping? I thought the weep hole is in the water pump. A water pump should exist in both Italian and Japanese bikes, right?

2018 959 Panigale
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymoto99 View Post
can you explain it like I'm 5 on how having the desmodromic valve actuation would be an explanation to the weeping? I thought the weep hole is in the water pump. A water pump should exist in both Italian and Japanese bikes, right?
I think the point is that Ducatis are special in so many ways. Japanese bikes just work. I may be wrong.

Dingo likes this.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
I think the point is that Ducatis are special in so many ways. Japanese bikes just work. I may be wrong.
Oh lol, maybe I took it too literally. I thought I was missing something. These Ducatis are relying on their sexy looks to justify their high maintenance. Someone needs to chart up the hot-vs-crazy line for motorcycles.
Pard likes this.

2018 959 Panigale
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 PM

Bought my 959 Memorial day 2018 did one trackday last summer almost wiped out because coolant started leaking on the track. Took it back to Gold Coast and they said they couldn't find any issues. I don't ride much on the street to and from work once and a while about 10 miles each way..so no issues on the street. I went to a Trackday this past Monday August 19th 2019 got about 6 laps in and my rear tire kicked out because again a coolant leak.. luckily I don't go down.. I'm contacting Ducati this week to see what they will do. Its ridiculous a brand new bike that is a serious danger to me and others...
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrider View Post
Bought my 959 Memorial day 2018 did one trackday last summer almost wiped out because coolant started leaking on the track. Took it back to Gold Coast and they said they couldn't find any issues. I don't ride much on the street to and from work once and a while about 10 miles each way..so no issues on the street. I went to a Trackday this past Monday August 19th 2019 got about 6 laps in and my rear tire kicked out because again a coolant leak.. luckily I don't go down.. I'm contacting Ducati this week to see what they will do. Its ridiculous a brand new bike that is a serious danger to me and others...
See my thread:
https://www.959panigale.net/forum/95...eak-issue.html

t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page