Approaching the 15k miles service? - Page 2 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
I personally have no desire of ever selling my 959 unless something catastrophic or life changing happens (ie. total loss crash or becoming handicapped). My 959 may evolve and become a track bike, but I won't ever get rid of it unless I don't have a choice.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Cotonete, For me, that question of yours is profound in the sense that I consider 80k miles being way past the point of no return.

Her bike is worth far more than its salvage value. Moreover, the average yearly maintenance cost is minimal compared to the carrying cost of purchasing a current model. It's only 5 years old, drop-dead gorgeous and probably will be for many years to come. This topic is changing my outlook about trading-in our bike for a newer model.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (traded and will be missed)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotonete View Post
80k miles? It is a heavy use. If you allow me I would like to ask you. Will you be able to sell it with this mileage? It would be very hard to sell a sport bike with this mileage down here, I donít know if it is usual or just the Brazilians are prejudiced.
US is the same way. No one wants a bike with a lot of miles, and I think "a lot" is like 20-30,000 miles haha (although I've heard the west coast routinely has higher mileage bikes than us on the east coast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Without having crunched the numbers to account for depreciation and amortization of a new ride, intuitively speaking, I think the bike is costing her next to nothing to run. At this point, selling price may not even be an issue.
Just $700 for insurance a year, my 4 qts of oil every 3.5-4,000 miles (I run a reusable stainless oil filter) and any other misc. maintenance items.... I'm still paying on the bike, so almost $300/mo for at least one more year (I took the longest loan I could upon purchase--I don't make a lot of $).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Shrug View Post
I personally have no desire of ever selling my 959 unless something catastrophic or life changing happens (ie. total loss crash or becoming handicapped). My 959 may evolve and become a track bike, but I won't ever get rid of it unless I don't have a choice.
Same. It's going to be buried with me :P

Quote:
@Cotonete, For me, that question of yours is profound in the sense that I consider 80k miles being way past the point of no return.

Her bike is worth far more than its salvage value. Moreover, the average yearly maintenance cost is minimal compared to the carrying cost of purchasing a current model. It's only 5 years old, drop-dead gorgeous and probably will be for many years to come. This topic is changing my outlook about trading-in our bike for a newer model.
Having the bike serviced at the dealer is $1200-1500 each 15k, plus another $300 for a chain/sprocket set every 15k.

So if you figured the bike was paid off and insurance wasn't factored in = under $2k in scheduled dealer maintenance + 4.25 oil changes @ $50/ea = $215 (15,000/3500=4.25 changes) = ~$2,215 a year, less than if you had a new bike @ $300/mo. for a year ($3,600)

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@XCLR8TN
About the carrying cost of your bike vs a new bike:
Absolutely, and that difference would be even more considering that we don't ride the mileage that you do.
Other than the scheduled dealer maintenance and normal wear and tear items such as tires, brakes and sprockets, have you had any expensive mileage related repair costs?

2016 Monster 1200 R

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
@XCLR8TN
About the carrying cost of your bike vs a new bike:
Absolutely, and that difference would be even more considering that we don't ride the mileage that you do.
Other than the scheduled dealer maintenance and normal wear and tear items such as tires, brakes and sprockets, have you had any expensive mileage related repair costs?
I bought the extended 6 year warranty just in case right before the stock one expired.

What has been replaced under warranty:

Right around 50k:

-Front headgasket (was leaking)
-Rear brake master cylinder (actually wasn't bad, but this was the first step before the next thing I list)
-ABS unit (was almost $2k) - fully believe this failed due to air getting in the system during the teardown for the front headgasket, too much of a coincidence. Upon using the rear brake, the lever would stick down and stay down, lock the rear wheel and stall the motor (lots of fun at 70mph)

70k:

-I paid for the gear sensor ($100) because it was so intermittent of a problem - also if that happens to anyone, try to have the dealer do a gear relearn first, it fixed mine for over 15k until it finally started getting worse

I think that's it...........
DarR likes this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's actually not bad.
BTW, I just had the top head gasket replaced as well. $150 parts and labor.
What's a pain is that you don't see it unless you remove the engine cover. Makes me consider to remove them permanently as some here have done.

2016 Monster 1200 R

Last edited by DarR; 08-22-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Garage
Approaching the 15k miles service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Shrug View Post

This is exactly my thought, Iím not willing to sell her. . I wonít have this kind of ďproblemĒ with my 959, I only have this kind of issue (high mileage) on my scooter which I use for commuting.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Last edited by Cotonete; 08-23-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM

Garage
Quote:

I totally agree with you DarR, Iíve just risen this subject because every time I change my scooter, excuse my language, it is a pain in the ass to sell it.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCLR8TN View Post
US is the same way. No one wants a bike with a lot of miles, and I think "a lot" is like 20-30,000 miles haha (although I've heard the west coast routinely has higher mileage bikes than us on the east coast)

You guys are more flexible than us.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's actually not bad.
BTW, I just had the top head gasket replaced as well. $150 parts and labor.
What's a pain is that you don't see it unless you remove the engine cover. Makes me consider to remove them permanently as some here have done.
Which engine cover do you mean? The heat shielding by the rear subframe?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page