trailering advice - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
trailering advice

I'm going to be trailering my 959 to the track on Tuesday. I'll be getting a motorcycle trailer from u-haul. I have some tie downs in my garage. Any words of wisdom from folks who have done this before?

2016 Red Ducati Panigale 959
2014 Kawasaki Concours (for long trips)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 PM

If you still have time, try to pick up some canyon dancers from cycle gear or any local motorcycle shop. Helps when you tie down the front. Here a link to how they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GASYVG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

and a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L_21Jlu_Qg
avigil, GNASHB8.5 and tomi like this.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:49 AM

Literally just took my 959 cross country from NJ to LA ( just made it today). Used a tractor supply trailer with a chock.

Like the previous advice I used the canyon dancers. Although I have the updated canyon dancer II:
https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dancer.../dp/B0013LF3ES

They are awesome. The only issue I have found is that it rubs on the steering lock and the cloth part ripped a bit on me.

I also put 2 ratchet straps on the rear. Held them onto the passenger pegs but used pretty weak straps because they were the only ones that would fit between the pegs and exhaust shroud. Maybe someone else knows better but I think you don't actually need rear straps with a chock.

Last edited by thebozenator; 07-25-2016 at 01:52 AM.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I picked up a canyon dancer2 today from cycle gear. I also got a set of rear wheel straps. I already had 4 ratchets. So, I'll use those to hook to the tie downs. I figure doing extra won't hurt.

I'll post some pictures after i load my bike tomorrow night.

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM

Garage

I use a flatbed trailer with wooden planks. I need to take a picture of the new set up but for now while I'm at work this should do...
Many people I know only tie down the fronts but I tie the rear down for piece of mind. I don't use a ratcheting system. DON'T OVERLOAD THE FRONT SUSPENSION TOO MUCH OR YOU CAN BLOW IT. The motorcycle's front shocks help keep the bike stable through travel, so you want there to be some travel in the suspension.

I usually use a big ass velcro strap to keep the front wheel attached to the motorcycle chock.
I've since then added O-screws in the wooden planks to attach the hooks more securely.

Put the peg stand UP. Don't leave it down.

I love velcro to keep the extra piece from flapping around. I used duct-tape here though because duct-tape is invincible when you don't have velcro. I'll show the set up next time I head to the dragstrip. I forget what I was using my velcro on...
Paolo Montini likes this.

'14 Panigale 899 Red Track Bike
'14 Monster 1200 Red Touring Bike

Last edited by Panza; 07-25-2016 at 03:22 PM.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
I use a flatbed trailer with wooden planks. I need to take a picture of the new set up but for now while I'm at work this should do...
Many people I know only tie down the fronts but I tie the rear down for piece of mind. I don't use a ratcheting system. DON'T OVERLOAD THE FRONT SUSPENSION TOO MUCH OR YOU CAN BLOW IT. The motorcycle's front shocks help keep the bike stable through travel, so you want there to be some travel in the suspension.

I usually use a big ass velcro strap to keep the front wheel attached to the motorcycle chock.
I've since then added O-screws in the wooden planks to attach the hooks more securely.

Put the peg stand UP. Don't leave it down.

I love velcro to keep the extra piece from flapping around. I used duct-tape here though because duct-tape is invincible when you don't have velcro. I'll show the set up next time I head to the dragstrip. I forget what I was using my velcro on...
Thanks for the advice. I'll be picking up the trailer in a couple hours (around 5pm PST) and after I get the bike loaded, I'll post some pictures in case any of you see any flaws in what I'm doing.

I'll make sure I don't ratchet it much. So, just compress the suspension a little? When you say put the peg stand up, you're referring to the kickstand, correct?

Did you tie the rear at the passenger pegs? I picked up a pair of rear wheel tie down straps from Cycle gear. When I get home, I'll verify. But I think they were these ones. I was thinking about securing them to the side hooks with my ratchets in the trailer to keep it secure:

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 PM

Garage
@avigil - That strap works, I always used a microfiber cloth where the strap would touch the rim, so the rim doesn't scratch. Yeah, just a little compression on the front is all you need, maybe a 1/2-1" of travel from the bar ends. Kickstand up. You might want to get a used Coleman or Igloo to keep the kit in when you take the bike off the trailer, that's what I used to use.
@Panza - gaffers tape is better than duct tape because it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
@avigil - That strap works, I always used a microfiber cloth where the strap would touch the rim, so the rim doesn't scratch. Yeah, just a little compression on the front is all you need, maybe a 1/2-1" of travel from the bar ends. Kickstand up. You might want to get a used Coleman or Igloo to keep the kit in when you take the bike off the trailer, that's what I used to use.
@Panza - gaffers tape is better than duct tape because it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind
Over protective friend put the duct-tape on there because he was afraid the hooks would ... unhook. Cant fault the guy. The residue was a pain in the ass though. I keep 3M adhesive remover around for a reason...

'14 Panigale 899 Red Track Bike
'14 Monster 1200 Red Touring Bike
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 01:50 AM

I've used Canyon Dancer II's, they are no good if you've got bar end weights and tend to wreck grips, well that's what I found.

I use a front wheel chock, two straps around the lower triple only pulling the front down about an inch and two around the frame. Bikes don't budget with this setup.

Dingo likes this.

Mad about Ducati's and live in Victoria?
Join us at Melbourne Ducatista on Facebook.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 AM

I use a carrier instead

Dingo, avigil, Panza and 1 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page