Clutchless down shift module for 959 Panigale - Page 3 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwaara View Post
Maybe not faster but it should be more stable.
I am hoping for both.

Without having to attend to throttle blip manually, left hand free from clutch pull, right wrist free from throttle blip, I plan to use that extra brain cell capacity to carry more speed into the corner entries.

In theory, downshifting could even be done deeper into the turn while adding lean angle if it is smooth enough. I find myself using the clutchless upshift functionality while still leaned over, it is so smooth.

That is the hypothesis of the experiment.

My findings will be subjective, but they could be tested and made objective if recorded data with and without auto blip was available from several riders.

Someone should collect that data.

Should be fun regardless.

Last edited by Pard; 05-10-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM

Started the installation of the BlipBox Pro module today.

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co....9_1199_v12.pdf

FWIW you will need to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line in order to remove the bolt holding on the OEM clutch shifter rod. That fact is not in the installation manual. The bolt head is in a direct line with the hydraulic line.

If you do this mod, have crush washers on hand and plan to bleed the clutch line, after the install is complete.

Picture from manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shift rod access.PNG
Views:	133
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	24402  

Last edited by Pard; 05-23-2018 at 11:05 AM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Spent the entire day today getting the unit fully installed and getting the bike ready for a test ride which will have to wait until tomorrow.

The instructions are not adequate, but response time via email to support is instantaneous.

You must remove the nose fairing in addition to the side fairings, adding significant PITA and time factor to this install.

Looking forward to a ride report tomorrow.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 AM

Took the BlipBox out for the first test ride this AM.

It works.

Interesting feeling being able to shift down without manual blip and clutch.

It comes in handy mostly in busy turn entries that require everything - eyes to the apex-exit-brakes-body position-blip-downshift to happen with very little time available.

If you ride slow, there is always enough time, but if the pace is hot, the delegation of blip and clutch to the box is a nice luxury.

Like everything else, it is a matter of cost vs benefit.

Great customer service from :

Mick Boasman

Bike Sport Developments Ltd

Mobile - 0044 (0)7798 902470 / land line 0044 (0)1327 263942

They added details about wiring up the 959 after my email exchange during install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Panigale 959 Install.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	24569  
sinjin and KarlKani like this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:02 PM

Video of my testing this morning. All shifting was done without the clutch using the Blip Box.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 PM

@Pard @KarlKani I was reading through the manual for the Blip Box Pro and it says the following

"Blip will be activated under these conditions:
- RPM is higher than 4600
- Rear wheel speed is higher than 30kmh
- Throttle grip is closed (less than 2%, engine slowing down)
..."

Any thoughts on those conditions from your own experience? I imagine there will be occasions I want to have an auto-blip downshift when the RPM is below 4600 when riding on the street.

2018 959 Panigale
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymoto99 View Post
@Pard @KarlKani I was reading through the manual for the Blip Box Pro and it says the following

"Blip will be activated under these conditions:
- RPM is higher than 4600
- Rear wheel speed is higher than 30kmh
- Throttle grip is closed (less than 2%, engine slowing down)
..."

Any thoughts on those conditions from your own experience? I imagine there will be occasions I want to have an auto-blip downshift when the RPM is below 4600 when riding on the street.
They sell an interface module to access the software an make some adjustments, but any auto blipper I have used, including factory ducati DQS up/down really only work well at higher RPMs. For street cruising you will want to clutch shift or it feels very clunky.

It works great if used as designed and intended.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
They sell an interface module to access the software an make some adjustments, but any auto blipper I have used, including factory ducati DQS up/down really only work well at higher RPMs. For street cruising you will want to clutch shift or it feels very clunky.

It works great if used as designed and intended.
Something i've definitely learned on with more seat time on the bike, that although it is equipped with an UP quick shifter, there's only certain intervals where you can use it without completely upsetting the bike in normal traffic.
Pard likes this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teethoflove View Post
Something i've definitely learned on with more seat time on the bike, that although it is equipped with an UP quick shifter, there's only certain intervals where you can use it without completely upsetting the bike in normal traffic.
Very true. Sometimes the upshifts feel abrupt/clunky, while other times the upshifts are buttery smooth. From my experience, shifting from 1-2 at <6000RPM usually causes the bike to abruptly slow down then surge. I tend to need to be above like 6000 RPM to get a smooth upshift on 1-2. Shifting to higher gears is smooth even if the RPM is lower than 6000.

I manually shift from 1-2 if I know I'm not accelerating that hard from a stop.

Do others experience similar patterns?

2018 959 Panigale

Last edited by tymoto99; 10-10-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page