Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Clutchless down shift module for 959 Panigale

29K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  able duc 
#1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys looked in to getting the auto blipper otherwise known as clutchless downshifts.

Blipbox fitted on 899

Blipbox on 1199

BSD Blip Box Pro Downshift Blipper Module 959

What does it do ?
This miniature module provides an fully programmable throttle 'auto blip' when ever a down-shift signal is requested by the rider.
The signal to shift comes either from the existing clutch switch (Blip Box-Lite), or from a load cell integrated into the gear linkage (Blip Box-Pro)
There is no re-programming of the ECU and all existing sensors remain in place.
Data from the throttle grip and the on-board CAN bus are used to determine the optimum shifting parameters
Just plug it in using the fully pre-wired adapter loom and ride

Race version - Blip Box - Pro
The professional version 'Blip-Box-pro' still comes fully pre-programmed with a 'blip map' for your bike model but with shift activation from a load cell designed to fit directly to the existing gear change linkages, no new parts or fabrication are needed by the customer.
This product is designed for race or track users who like the concept of shifting down without the clutch
This load cell also replaces the standard up-shift switch on the bike so the Blip-Box takes over up shifting allowing a fully programmable shift load.
Via a dedicated (yet simple) piece of software the Pro user can link up over USB to modify all system parameters enabling custom 'blip maps' , shift loading and many other parameters. (requires additional BB-UCIF programming tool and software)
There will be one for the 959 but it's currently in development not sure when it's coming soon. This is being sold by Ducati Omaha so whoever is close should pop in and check ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Unless you're racing and need the benefit at the margin, then it may be an edge. However, personally for the street, $1000 is too rich for the bling and farkle. Add that to the Akrapovic, a 1299's horsepower and features would be much cheaper.

#4 ·
The 959 is an awesome package for what it is. IMHO, (and at the risk of being flamed), I would buy this 'auto blip' down-shift for no more than $100. Wake me up when Akrapovic exhaust sells for less than $1500. Otherwise, a 1299 with 40+hp's, clutch-less down-shift, more electronics, better suspension, single swing-arm, LED headlights and color LCD display is a better deal by a country mile....IMHO (if you're not on the track competitively).

Reactions: YOGI-G and Dingo
#6 · (Edited)
There's less than a $5000 difference in price between a 205HP base 1299 (@ $19,795) and a 160HP 959 (@ $14,995). Assimilating all the posts for the last quarter, seem to suggest that Ducati should built a Panigale 959 (S) with all the gadgetry of the 1299( S) for about $18,499.

Reactions: Dic and Kevin.H
#14 ·
#21 · (Edited)
I am hoping for both. :smile2:

Without having to attend to throttle blip manually, left hand free from clutch pull, right wrist free from throttle blip, I plan to use that extra brain cell capacity to carry more speed into the corner entries.

In theory, downshifting could even be done deeper into the turn while adding lean angle if it is smooth enough. I find myself using the clutchless upshift functionality while still leaned over, it is so smooth.

That is the hypothesis of the experiment.

My findings will be subjective, but they could be tested and made objective if recorded data with and without auto blip was available from several riders.

Someone should collect that data.

Should be fun regardless.

#22 · (Edited)
Started the installation of the BlipBox Pro module today.

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co...Box system manual_Ducati 899_959_1199_v12.pdf

FWIW you will need to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line in order to remove the bolt holding on the OEM clutch shifter rod. That fact is not in the installation manual. The bolt head is in a direct line with the hydraulic line.

If you do this mod, have crush washers on hand and plan to bleed the clutch line, after the install is complete.

Picture from manual:

Attachments

#23 ·
Spent the entire day today getting the unit fully installed and getting the bike ready for a test ride which will have to wait until tomorrow.

The instructions are not adequate, but response time via email to support is instantaneous.

You must remove the nose fairing in addition to the side fairings, adding significant PITA and time factor to this install.

Looking forward to a ride report tomorrow.

#24 ·
Took the BlipBox out for the first test ride this AM.

It works.

Interesting feeling being able to shift down without manual blip and clutch.

It comes in handy mostly in busy turn entries that require everything - eyes to the apex-exit-brakes-body position-blip-downshift to happen with very little time available.

If you ride slow, there is always enough time, but if the pace is hot, the delegation of blip and clutch to the box is a nice luxury.

Like everything else, it is a matter of cost vs benefit.

Great customer service from :

Mick Boasman

Bike Sport Developments Ltd

Mobile - 0044 (0)7798 902470 / land line – 0044 (0)1327 263942

They added details about wiring up the 959 after my email exchange during install.

Attachments

#26 ·
@Pard @KarlKani I was reading through the manual for the Blip Box Pro and it says the following

"Blip will be activated under these conditions:
- RPM is higher than 4600
- Rear wheel speed is higher than 30kmh
- Throttle grip is closed (less than 2%, engine slowing down)
..."

Any thoughts on those conditions from your own experience? I imagine there will be occasions I want to have an auto-blip downshift when the RPM is below 4600 when riding on the street.

#27 ·
They sell an interface module to access the software an make some adjustments, but any auto blipper I have used, including factory ducati DQS up/down really only work well at higher RPMs. For street cruising you will want to clutch shift or it feels very clunky.

It works great if used as designed and intended.

#30 ·
I was emailing a Cordona quickshifters rep and he mentioned the new 2020 V2 up/down quickshifter might be applicable for the old 959. That would be a convenient, OEM, and possibly more economical way of getting both up/down quickshifts. I question if the new quickshifter would play nice with the old electronics. I'll try to research this possibility.

#32 · (Edited)
Auto blip down shift is only going to be possible if our ecu will recognize and accept the signal from the shift sensor and blip the throttle bodies. If not an external computer like the blipbox will have to be used. We just need to wire the third wire of the sensor into sensor ground. For some reason our two wire shift sensor does not wire directly to sensor ground. For a clean install I found this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Du...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

#37 ·
Thanks. Sounds like both quickshifters work well.

Did you notice improvements on the bike from having the RB's auto adaptive fueling? I'm starting to second guess the value of BSD since roughly the same cost could provide me with additional benefits beyond the quickshifter.

#38 ·
I have to agree but didn't want to say, what you should have done ............................

#39 ·
Reversed my decision and waiting on my Rapid Bike EVO + Ducati shift assist module.

Looking forward to installing, but also a little nervous thinking about depending on aftermarket electronics for up/down clutchless shifting. I like the OEM up quickshifter but sometimes wonder what would happen if it stopped working as it should.

Anyone know what would happen if there's an error with the RB system? For example I try to shift without the clutch and it doesn't unload the transmission and/or auto-blip properly?

I'm assuming since there is load on the transmission, I won't actually be able to move to another gear?

#40 ·
Don't over think it :)

It's good system ...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.