Panigale 959 with Rapidbike EVO - Page 7 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
@flatstick959
@nickname89
FYI, The servo was removed on mine. No CEL.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)
DarR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Member
 
nickname89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 91
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@flatstick959
@nickname89
FYI, The servo was removed on mine. No CEL.
Did you flash something to the bike, or do you use a servo buddy? And did you actually disconnect and remove the whole motor, or did you leave the motor, but just pull the wire?
nickname89 is offline  
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
Disconnected and removed the servo motor. Left the butterfly valve as it's open by default.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)
DarR is offline  
 
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
Rapidbike Longer Term Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Finally installed a Rapidbike to the Panigale 959. First impressions are Meh but I'm cognizant that it hasn't adjusted fully. Looking forward to eliminating the surge in Race mode and smooth out the throttle overall. Auto-Tuning range is set from 2000 rpm upwards. I have noticed a few 7's and up to 10's on the maps.
I toy'ed with the software and maps quite a bit initially violating the saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Although that was fun, I reverted back to the basemap and did let the RB do it's thing.
Following several hundred miles, the lean mid-rpm surge in RACE mode is gone.

Some of you may be asking if it's worth it?
For a stock bike, I would have to say NO if you're buying it at full price plus a lengthy installation.
The difference in AFR improvements are marginal on a non-modified bike.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-18-2018 at 08:13 PM.
DarR is offline  
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Member
 
nickname89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 91
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I toy'ed with the software and maps quite a bit initially violating the saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Although that was fun, I reverted back to the basemap and did let the RB do it's thing.
Following several hundred miles, the lean mid-rpm surge in RACE mode is gone.

Some of you may be asking if it's worth it?
For a stock bike, I would have to say NO if you're buying it at full price.
The difference in AFR improvements are marginal on a non-modified bike.
Do you still get surges in low-mid rpm in 1st? I still get those, and I feel like I've put on enough miles.

I've done nothing but plug it in and let it do its thing.
nickname89 is offline  
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickname89 View Post
Do you still get surges in low-mid rpm in 1st? I still get those, and I feel like I've put on enough miles. I've done nothing but plug it in and let it do its thing.
I would say anything above 4k is smoothed-out.
I'll report back for low rpm in 1rst however, if you're riding in town, why not just use Sport or even Wet mode?
Relative to a four cylinder, a big twin like the 959 would be jerky using an aggressive throttle response such as Race mode.
There's really no reason to be in Race mode in that context at such low rpm anyways.
Moreover, the other modes are much more comfortable.
Furthermore, you can change the modes on-the-fly, unlike the R1 I demo'd last year.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-18-2018 at 11:37 PM.
DarR is offline  
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
@nickname89
I was out riding yesterday to get away from it all and had the opportunity to test the "Race Mode" fueling at low rpm in 1rst gear.
I was also very diligent to not misinterpret sensitive throttle response as lean surging.
With a steady hand, no lean surging to report at any rpm. Very smooth. However, that's not saying it was practical.
The sensitive throttle in Race combined with a V-twin at low rpm is not comfortable.
Please find attached a photo of both the stock basemap and the trim map to compare with yours.
The only settings changed were to increase the maximum enrichment from 7 to 10 and start the correction at 2500.
You may want to customize certain cells individually to see if that makes an improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_184756.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	25338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_184740.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	25346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_184819-c.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	25354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_184830-c.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	25362  

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
DarR is offline  
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 1,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@nickname89
I was out riding yesterday to get away from it all and had the opportunity to test the "Race Mode" fueling at low rpm in 1rst gear.
I was also very diligent to not misinterpret sensitive throttle response as lean surging.
With a steady hand, no lean surging to report at any rpm. Very smooth. However, that's not saying it was practical.
The sensitive throttle in Race combined with a V-twin at low rpm is not comfortable.
Please find attached a photo of both the stock basemap and the trim map to compare with yours.
The only settings changed were to increase the maximum enrichment from 7 to 10 and start the correction at 2500.
You may want to customize certain cells individually to see if that makes an improvement.
@DarR - any negative aspects to installing the RB that you can come up with, after living with it for some time? Does it still receive Solid Praise?

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
Dingo is offline  
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,576
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
@DarR - any negative aspects to installing the RB that you can come up with, after living with it for some time? Does it still receive Solid Praise?
The RB is the real deal. No hype.
Notwithstanding, the benefit vs cost does not justify the purchase at full MSRP "on a stock bike".
I got mine second hand at a great price and was planning to core the exhaust which constitute an unknown outcome relating to AFR. Faced with uncertainty, the RB is perfect as it adapts.
However, if you're installing a name brand bolt-on exhaust product, an ECU flash may be better which is what I've done on the Monster 1200R with great results.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)
DarR is offline  
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 1,809
Garage
@DarR - Thanks for your input - I think I'm going with Woolich... haven't completely decided yet.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
Dingo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why did they Skip 899 EVO? BBBingo 959 Panigale General Discussion 3 11-05-2015 10:11 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome