Tyres Tires and more tyres - Page 9 - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlside View Post
Thanks DarR. I had read that before but it didn't answer my question about what the hot temps I should be running are.
Pressure is most always measured cold. Panigale RC OEM included. Why would you want to use hot measurements?
You could get the a hot temperature equivalent using the Pirelli guide provided by Doug on this post but I wouldn't do that as I don't see any added value.
Ducati 959 Panigale Forum - View Single Post - Tyres Tires and more tyres
Moreover, there's some discrepancy between Pirelli and Ducati's recommendations.
If that's not confusing enough, pressure gauge readings can easily vary +/- 3 lbs from one gauge to another.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-07-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM

First ride on the Michelin Power RS rear tire. Took it easy today since it was cold out and the tire was new, but I am very pleased with it. Some Pics. You can see the compound transition lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	24938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	24946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	24954  
post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Pressure is most always measured cold. Panigale RC OEM included. Why would you want to use hot measurements?
That's misinformation, certainly applicable for street, but he's asking about track pressures. Cold pressures vary greatly day to day, so you want a hot measurement (if you're on the track) because it is consistent.

@Headlside , assuming you're hitting hot temps (160-180F) and/or running tire warmers and can maintain it, you should be running something close to 30-35 psi (hot) in the front and 26-29 psi (hot) in the rear depending on your pace and tire wear. I say close to because those are values for SuperCorsa SC's, so the more street oriented SP2 should be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlside View Post
If I get to the track and set those pressures, then go out for a session, I expect those pressures to rise once the heat is in the tire. Do I then re-adjust the pressure back to 33/30 when the tire is hot?
If you're setting cold pressures at the track, just drop it by ~4 psi from the above (or minimally the low spec), as once the tire/rim gets up to temperature, you should see about a 4 psi tire pressure increase hot off the track. After every session, you should be tracking your pressures (and re-adjusting as necessary).

Rule of thumb: hotter or faster sessions, you run higher pressures to reduce contact patch (less tire heat). Colder or slower sessions, run lower pressure so the contact patch gets bigger (more tire heat).
Headlside and Pard like this.

2016 AWS 959 Panigale - Sato Racing Sliders | T-Rex Axle Sliders | Dieci83 Radiator Guards | Techspec Tankpads | NRC FEK | NRC Mirror Block Offs | CRG Arrow Mirror | TWM Brake Lever Guard | Ducabike Gen 1 Rearsets
2009 Red Ninja 250R - Totsubo Exhaust | Woodcraft Rearsets | RaceTech Cartridge Emulators | Ground Off Kickstand Mount | Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1/SC2 | Attack Race Bodies Fairings

post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 AM

Garage
@DJ Shrug
Yes, ambient temperature is a variable and then some such as pavement temperature. Not everyone has tire warmers therefore how hot is hot? 1 lap, 2Laps, 3 Laps? perhaps?. Pressure gauge accuracy is a variable. Tire models pressure recommendations, even withing the same make is a variable. Even the Ducati and Pirelli have different pressure recommendations for the same tire. All I was suggesting is that there's so many variables that rules of thumb are necessary to shoot for the closest shade of grey.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
2016 Panigale 959 (Serious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 06-07-2018 at 12:14 PM.
post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
First ride on the Michelin Power RS rear tire. Took it easy today since it was cold out and the tire was new, but I am very pleased with it. Some Pics. You can see the compound transition lines.
Please keep updated, I have a track day july 9th and leaning heavily (ha see what i did there) towards power RS but haven't pulled the trigger yet and I'm highly interested to get feedback from a 959 rider about these tires.

2017 959
2005 YAMAHA ROADSTAR SILVERADO

2002 BUELL M2 CYCLONE
2003 HONDA SHADOW SPIRIT
post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehnke View Post
Please keep updated, I have a track day july 9th and leaning heavily (ha see what i did there) towards power RS but haven't pulled the trigger yet and I'm highly interested to get feedback from a 959 rider about these tires.
Several reviews out there, but yes, will report back:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...d-street-test/
post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, how hot is hot?! lol! A gazillion variables and opinions on this subject for sure. To elaborate on what @DarR mentioned... the tire maker has no idea what bike the tires will be mounted on, and the bike maker does. IMO, if you're running OEM tires, use the bike manufacturer's recommended settings as your starting point. If you're using a non-OEM tire, use the tire manufacturer's recommended settings as your starting point. Some tire makers provide a PSI range for track use, (cold and hot) but those are usually for race slicks or DOT race tires.

Most guys using tire warmers will set the tires to the cold pressures in the morning (or before first session) and then adjust to the recommend hot PSI before going out on track. The variables in the hot PSI is what will regulate wear, grip, etc. If you're using DOT's and don't have warmers you'll have to start at your cold PSI settings, and then you can always check your PSI right off the track as @ DJ Shrug mentioned to monitor your hot PSI. Keep in mind a non-race DOT is much less susceptible to temperature fluctuations vs a race tire.

It's good practice to check your PSI just before every session or ride no matter what the scenario.

2016 Panigale 959
2012 Panigale 1199 (Track Only)
2001 Monster S4
2010 Aprilia SR50 Factory
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Interesting. I really like the suspension settings I have dialed in now. I may have to take it to a pro to have it looked at.
It may be a balance issue. Hard to say without seeing the tire.

2016 Panigale 959
2001 Monster S4
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Nice!! They look like they have a similar profile to the Pirelli Rossa's. (rounder than their Pilot Powers)

2016 Panigale 959
2001 Monster S4
2013 Beta 300 RR
post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo1199 View Post
Yes, how hot is hot?! lol! A gazillion variables and opinions on this subject for sure. To elaborate on what @DarR mentioned... the tire maker has no idea what bike the tires will be mounted on, and the bike maker does. IMO, if you're running OEM tires, use the bike manufacturer's recommended settings as your starting point. If you're using a non-OEM tire, use the tire manufacturer's recommended settings as your starting point. Some tire makers provide a PSI range for track use, (cold and hot) but those are usually for race slicks or DOT race tires.

Most guys using tire warmers will set the tires to the cold pressures in the morning (or before first session) and then adjust to the recommend hot PSI before going out on track. The variables in the hot PSI is what will regulate wear, grip, etc. If you're using DOT's and don't have warmers you'll have to start at your cold PSI settings, and then you can always check your PSI right off the track as @ DJ Shrug mentioned to monitor your hot PSI. Keep in mind a non-race DOT is much less susceptible to temperature fluctuations vs a race tire.

It's good practice to check your PSI just before every session or ride no matter what the scenario.
This is what Iím getting at. I donít have warmers, so I would set to what the manual suggests just before the first session (33/31) and then after the first session I check the pressures and adjust back to 33/31? Or is the added pressure when up temp ok?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page