Our WDW2016 trip review - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Cazzo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Our WDW2016 trip review

So I've just returned from a trip to Europe which ended with WDW2016. mind you, it started with MotoGp in Mugello, then Catalonia.

For those who don't know, Ducati put on a massive party every two years to celebrate all things Ducati, this year being the 90th anniversary. It's a three day event held at Misano World Circuit, with every rider and team member attending.

So, we'd heard that Casey Stoner was going to be out testing on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to WDW starting on the Friday. We went to collect our tickets at the track on Thursday and asked if we could get in, no was the answer. Not giving up and having a hire car, we circled the track to get some sort of glimpse, unfortunately the track is pretty much surrounded by a solid wall...until we found a random dirt road...leading to a service road and into the track! They say when in Rome!
So we made ourselves comfortable on the hill along with a couple others, we were able to see riders testing some new Panigale models, what looked to be SBK bikes, Aprilia had a bike out there and Stoner on the Desmosedici.
Ok, so one of the riders spotted someone and we got booted out, but the security guard was almost apologising to us.

Man, there is so much going on, bikes and people everywhere, riders, teams, everything! In fact there is so many activities on all day and over the weekend, you probably can't do all of them, even with then event closing at about 10pm Friday and 1am Saturday.

On Friday, we drove to Bologna where we did the factory tour and the newly refurbished museum. The factory tour was amazing, it's pretty relaxed environment. I guess they are in what they call mid season, so punching out a couple hundred bikes a day. This can vary from 150-350 a day depending on the season. They also only build bikes to order, nothing goes into stock as such.

Friday afternoon and evening was spent at the track cruising around all the displays, watching punters on the track, walking around in awe of all the bikes and people. Afternoon was flat track time, most of the pro riders were out there for our entertainment, but you could see the were having a ball! Bayliss got done by Dovi in the finals.
This is how relaxed it is, we were sitting in the grandstand, when we basically got surrounded by the Gp team, Petrucci, Chaz and others.
Friday ended with a massive cruise around town, finishing at a water park for the Scrambler pool party. Yeah, only a week or so ago we were on water slides at 12am in 27 degree weather!

I thought Friday was busy, Saturday was insane! We later heard that 81,000 spectators attended over the three days and in the first two hours of the gates opening on Saturday, 8,000 bikes rolled into MWC! Activities going on included: riding tours outside the track, test rides, flat track, track time, lambo/Audi track rides, signings, seminars, Diavel drag racing and whole heap of other stuff.
Saturday, finished with a BBQ, release of the Panigale 1299 Anniversario and concert. We left when the concert kicked off, heading to Misano Adriatico to watch all the nutters in town. The streets we kindly blocked off and the police left everyone well alone!
Sunday is the chill out day, numbers were down as well as event going on. Probably recovery day after a long day on Saturday.

Ok, so I'm biased, but I've never seen or heard of a single manufacturer putting on an event that is this big, it's insane! One thing that really stood out and made me proud, is the absolute admiration Troy Bayliss and Casey stoner have. Seriously, the Italians absolutely love these two, chanting their names and cheering, something you don't even see in their home country. Absolutely mind blowing!

Would I do it again? **** YEAH! I bet the 100th anniversary will be insane!

Oh, Sunday we drove out to Coriano to see the Marco Simoncelli memorial light up.

Couple vids I've thrown together.

Mad about Ducati's and live in Victoria?
Join us at Melbourne Ducatista on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Garage
Excellent write-up and vids! And Thank You for sharing!

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a blast, where are you from if I may ask, seems like 27 degree Celsius weather was a treat for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

959 Panigale Discount code 959PANIGALE

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Great write-up and I wish I'd been there. No other manufacturer can inspire so much loyalty in their riders like Ducati. Heck, even the guy in a wheelchair managed to make it work.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

We are from Melbourne Australia. We left Italy when it was 36c and landed home in 12c weather!

Yeah, was an awesome way to finish off an almost 2 month trip away. We did plan it around Mugello and Catalonia Gp's leaving WDW till last. I reckon the 100th anniversary will go off and it happens to coincide with the completion of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Garage
Sounds like a great time! How long in advance did you plan for the event? I'd imagine this is one of those events that you want to go to, then one year, you just make the plunge and go for it. Did you plan your euro trip around WDW?

Did you happen to get a chance to look at the Supersport S while you were there?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzo View Post
... it happens to coincide with the completion of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
I didn't think they had a completion date for LSF Awesome time to return then

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
I didn't think they had a completion date for LSF Awesome time to return then
On our walking tour, they said the completion date is 2026 coinciding with the hundredth anniversary of Gaudi's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Shrug View Post
Sounds like a great time! How long in advance did you plan for the event? I'd imagine this is one of those events that you want to go to, then one year, you just make the plunge and go for it. Did you plan your euro trip around WDW?

Did you happen to get a chance to look at the Supersport S while you were there?
We actually started talking about going late 2015, we only started booking stuff in March for a May departure. The original plan was 4 weeks as Mugello and WDW were 4 weeks apart, until they went and moved the provisional calendar for Mugello. After a bit of debating we blew it out to 7 weeks as our transit time is around 24-26 hours from Oz.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page