959 resurrection job - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
959 resurrection job

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 959 that was bought as an ornament piece and its been hanging like a chandelier for the last two years at some rich guys house. only 1000Kms on the clock. I've checked all fluids, seem to be fine, the fuel was drained prior to it being hung like a painting so no issues there. After 2 days and draining a brand new battery it finally came to life but has a few issues:

-It sounds rough compared to my friends 899

-I aim to break the bike in a little then do an oil change maybe after 4-500kms - OR should I do one immediately?
-Struggles badly on cold starts - usually takes a good 5mins to start after multiple attempts
-I've done about 200kms already on it and apart from the rough sound and cold start it runs fine. I'm riding it in very carefully - only taken it up to 9K RPM and haven't put it in race mode yet.
-Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Prazza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyper 959 Pani.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	26774  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM

At two years it may still be under warranty. I'd check the intake track, filter, and TBs for blockages. Also a healthy dose of fuel injector cleaner may be in order.

t_bare

02 998 Mono
08 HyperS
09 KTM 530 EXC
13 MTS GT
16 Panigale 959

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2+ Ducati = Mechanic
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM

The oil should be changed now, same with the oil filter. Same with all fluids actually. Injectors should be cleaned and probably the fuel pump too.

I haven't had my 959 for long but it starts first time every time. Regardless, 5 mins for *any* bike would be a problem.

9000rpm is pretty high for the twin, looks like 11500rpm is the limit so you're not that far off. FWIW the dealer has instructed me not to go past 6000rpm during the run in period... which is the first 1000km.

Hope that helps, good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Agree with the oil change, but disagree on the starting issues... search on that topic here and you will find a host of reported problems with cold and hot starts on the 959 and Panigale in general.

Consider losing the charcoal canister to mitigate the hot starts and you may find that the cold starting goes away over time, or not.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP Wheels, Akrapovic Full Ti GP Exhaust, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, Bonamici Rearsets, R&G Sliders.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 AM

During my research I also came across the charcoal canister / starting issue and was prepared to rip it out.

I asked the dealer specifically about this before I bought the 959, and according to the dealer it was a fuel issue in Australia. They sent samples of Australian fuel to Italy, they reprogrammed the ECU for our fuel and all new bikes delivered has the new program, and hey presto no more starting issues.

Maybe see if the dealer has an update for your specific model year bike, or try disconnect the canister.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Unfortunately, this is a world wide issue and not specific to Australia.

I am not sure that this would be completely accurate for those owners in the US and Europe that experience the cold starting issues.

I have heard dealer stories like this since I picked up my 899 in 2014.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP Wheels, Akrapovic Full Ti GP Exhaust, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, Bonamici Rearsets, R&G Sliders.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Agree with the cold start issue - I had this pretty frequently early on but it has actually subsided a bit (~6700 miles on the clock)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the response guys,

Haven't posted since but after an oil + oil filter change plus I removed the fuel canister as you guys suggested, it starts first or second time with a bit of encouragement from the throttle. Still sounds rough - currently on 2400kms. I've pushed it all the way a few times to red line and no issues. Next step is either an Akra or Termi with the CAT removed + Tune.

What can I expect after the tune?

Cheers
Prazza

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazzza View Post
...Next step is either an Akra or Termi with the CAT removed + Tune.

What can I expect after the tune?...
You can expect it to be louder and just a little faster. The 959 exhaust already breathes pretty good. If you want to change the tune for the better replace the air inlet side.

2016 White Ducati 959 Panigale
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:32 AM

no one mentioned new spark plugs yet? seems to me could be all of the above.

I always recommend people to baseline any new vehicle to them, the PO could have been meticulous with maintenance, or flat out neglected it.

depends how far you want to take a baseline for the bike (sending the oil out to get tested)

but a full tune up, checking the tires, all the fluids, filter, plugs, flush the gas, fresh battery, should fire up every single time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page