Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep telling people that my 959 is faster than "most" sports car on a drag for 0-60, my argument comes from the results I've seen online for 899.

Has anyone tried/tested 0-60 on the 959?

Also how would one test this? I am not a believer in visual timkeeping.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
892 Posts
0-60 is highly dependent on execution, so its highly based on rider skill.

I watched one of my helmet cam vids from a dig once and got a ~3.5 second 0-60 without really trying (I'm not too comfortable on launches yet). Here's a list of cars in the 3 second 0-60 range.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't practice my launch control, but I do know the bike is super quick from the start with stock gearing. In the right hands and set up for a straight line, my guess is 2.4 - 2.8 seconds 0-60

·
Registered
37 Posts
I find it mind blowing that the 1299s is at the bottom of the list, the 899 is at the top, and the 959 is nowhere to be found.

Im surprised at the 1299s because I would just think that would be faster, and im surprised there isnt a 959 because its not like the bike is all that new anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I find it mind blowing that the 1299s is at the bottom of the list, the 899 is at the top, and the 959 is nowhere to be found.

Im surprised at the 1299s because I would just think that would be faster, and im surprised there isnt a 959 because its not like the bike is all that new anymore.
Take this list with a grain of salt. The 250hp or whatever H2 and H2R are not even on the list. However, I do find it cool that our bikes are in the reckoning. Unless you go upto the H2R, the 1299 or the S1000RR there's not a lot of bikes we can upgrade to.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's a much longer list than I expected :|
There's a lot of supercars on there though and also that database is based on data from a long history so there's overlap (probably) between models.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
0-60mph in 2.8

I have taken my 959 to 287 kph.

Hope that helps.
Picture or it didn't happen - c'mon!!! You know the rules of the interwebs, don't you!?!?
>:)

Also, you know there's a 5% Overage worked into the algorithm right?
:wink2:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

That wiki page is not a fair comparison from bike to bike as there are too many variables. When you drill down and view the linked review within the footnote #39 you will see that all four bikes (BMW S1000RR, Ducati 1299 Panigale S, Kawasaki Ninja H2, Yamaha YZF-R1) were all in the 3+ seconds for 0~60 times including the H2.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think it's impossible to do on a bike without having it set up with wheelie bars - below 3 seconds I mean. If you don't have wheelie bars you have wheelie control electronics which is holding you back, therefore you're not just pure unadulterated power the engine can put out. 0-60 doesn't mean anything anyway, it's 0-100 that has more meaning!! :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think it's impossible to do on a bike without having it set up with wheelie bars - below 3 seconds I mean. If you don't have wheelie bars you have wheelie control electronics which is holding you back, therefore you're not just pure unadulterated power the engine can put out. 0-60 doesn't mean anything anyway, it's 0-100 that has more meaning!! :D
It's probably possible to do sub 3, but only if you have a lot of drag strip time or grid start experience. Couple weeks ago, had an opportunity to be in open class 5 lap race with a grid start. I got 2nd grid position so no one in front of me.

My personal 0-60 times from the dig based on cam video and the slow speedo update speed on our 959s:
  • 3.53sec (from first bike movement)
  • 4.30sec (from race start, #ripreactiontime)

No improvement from what I poster earlier, but still not really good at launches nor ever "practice" them, but if I can do a 3.5 as sloppy as I did, I'm sure others have actually done sub 3 on a Babygale.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have gopro video of my 899 doing it in under 3 seconds, even being generous with speedo error. I don't have an exact number but I'll see if I can dig up the video.

If you did 3.5 on a race start with all the nerves and distractions, I bet you could do sub 3 seconds on a quiet, empty road.

Also, I weigh 125lbs, that could be a factor.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Perhaps it's Possible... you'd need a .2 second reaction time or better to start. Let's see... I think the physics works out to every .1 of a second quicker you want to go needs roughly 50 more HP with an object that has a mass of 200 kg
(I pulled that out of the sky but it sounds good ;P ) bear with me here - that would mean you'd need 100 more HP to go from 3.2 seconds to 3 seconds, considering a robot was launching the bike with constant variables
@PatrickR - your jockey weight is Definitely a factor!!! Video or it didn't happen - you should know better than to make claims like that!!! LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Video or it didn't happen - you should know better than to make claims like that!!! LOL
Lol, I knew that would happen. I looked and it's not on my laptop. Probably still on the memory card but I left the gopro in florida. (I'm in texas) My brother used it at a PCA trackday at roebling road.

He might upload it for me but he never answers my texts...haha. I can see if my friend wants to ride next weekend. I'll borrow his cam and do it again...it's kinda fun anyway. Lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts