Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased by 959 on December 31st 2015, happy new year to me. I took owner ship of it a few days later (weather held me back) and I have not regretted it one day since. I love love love my 959.

A little background on where I came from. Been riding since 2005. Frist bike was a ninja 500, 1989. Rode it till it died. Purchased a slightly used sv650s, still have it. Over the years I have upgraded the exhaust, suspension and have done enough trackdays that I have lost count. I was riding that thing to the limit and needed something with more power and more goodies but had to still be a twin.

I had my eye on the 899 since it came out. I am a fan of the middleweights because they offer more flexibility as street and trackday bikes IMO. I wanted something with tech that would last me another 8-10 years too. The main reason I went with the 959 and not the 899 was the slipper clutch. Second reason, I wanted one in white (by the time I was looking to but no white 899’s were left).

I don’t go to and from work on my 959. I only ride it on the weekends and I only ride up and down twisty canyon roads. I live in southern California so we have our share of quality roads. So now you know my point of view for this review. With all that said I still love love love my 959.

Things to note:

Power from 3-5,500rpm is much different than that from 7,500-10,500.
The bike is almost 2 faced. The power at low rpm is usable and gets you up and going for around town riding. The power from 7,500 rpm and up is for serious riding!

Suspension is set up to heavy.
I am 5’8” 165lbs. The bike was set up way to hard for me. Made it hard to tip in on the tight turns. Made the bike a pain to flip left and right in canyons. I had to hang a cheek and leg off. After my first service I had the guys set the bike up for me and it was 10times better. Now the nose dives in and it flicks side to side like a dream. Well worth the $40. I will probably upgrade the shock and forks in the future. We’ll see after a trackday or two.

Rearsets leave something to be desired.
I had vortex on my last bike, maybe I just got use to them but I am not in love with these rearsets. They don’t “do it” for me. I will probably get aftermarket adjustable ones. I have plans on doing about 2-3 track days a year so I am setting the bike up for this.

Invest in earplugs. This bike is LOUD! The air box sounds like my de-snorkled SV, crazy loud. The Exhaust screams about 7,500rpm. You will probably get an exhaust at some point too. Save yourself the trouble and get earplugs now.

If this is your first Duc you will find out very soon that Parts are very expensive on average so just be ready for that. Make a friend at the dealership or a local Cycle Gear.

The Tech seems a little overwhelming at first but it really isn’t. Read the manual, play with the setting and you will be fine. Once you find a setting that works for you there is a good chance you will not even bother changing it. I have mine all dialed in and just leave it alone, until I hot the track. With that said I LOVE the DCT. It has saved my *** a couple of times now. Thank you Ducati.

You are going to have to take this bike in to get serviced.
I haven’t taken by bike in to a shop in over 8 years. I do all my own work. If it wasn’t for the service light on this bike I probably would still have a shop free record BUT it’s not the end of the world. $300 bucks for piece of mind and it helps keep that warranty (I purchased 72 months).

Tires. This bike eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Get use to it.

Comfort. The first long ride KILLED ME, but I quickly got use to it. I do about 70-150 miles a day when I do ride. I will probably get the comfort seat in the future.

Those are the main points I wanted to make to anyone looking over the forum on the fence about buying one. If you have any question I’d be happy to answer them. If you live in the LA area let me know and lets go RIDE!

Ride safe everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Suspension is set up to heavy.
I am 5’8” 165lbs. The bike was set up way to hard for me. Made it hard to tip in on the tight turns. Made the bike a pain to flip left and right in canyons. I had to hang a cheek and leg off. After my first service I had the guys set the bike up for me and it was 10times better. Now the nose dives in and it flicks side to side like a dream. Well worth the $40. I will probably upgrade the shock and forks in the future. We’ll see after a trackday or two.
When you say heavy, I'm the exact same weight as you and I almost got flung up and off going over a small rise on the bike, so that's too hard too isn't it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most sport bike seats aren't exactly built for comfort, especially for long rides. The DP comfort seat will probably fix your aching bum woes but it will add a bit of height to the seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, so curious: what exactly did the guys do at the suspension shop to make it better for you? I want to take it in for a proper setup but I don't know what the options are, what to look for or what setup to ask them for?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say heavy, I'm the exact same weight as you and I almost got flung up and off going over a small rise on the bike, so that's too hard too isn't it?
I am no expert but I got a small crash course. I had a similar problem. The rebound was to "fast" for me and the spring had to much tension. So at my "light weight" the bike was resetting back to normal to fast and making my butt come off the saddle. By slowing the rebound down and taking out some compression out we were able to set the bike us better. Do you find that "tipping it in" to a turn is a little hard or easy?

Hey, so curious: what exactly did the guys do at the suspension shop to make it better for you? I want to take it in for a proper setup but I don't know what the options are, what to look for or what setup to ask them for?
The first thing they do is ask you a lot of questions, thats a good sign. They asked if I ride 2up and what I wear when I ride, this determines the weight. Beside your weight, how you ride is very important too. The set up for a person commuting is going to be different than the setup for a trackday and everything in between. You get on the bike, then off. They measure sag and make adjustments. They look at the speed of rebound on the front vs the back making sure it is in sync and doesn't see saw, then make more adjustments. It's a very interesting process. You are in the South Bay area right? There are a down of local guys with small shops that would be able to set you up. Just ask around.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
What are your final settings? I'm heavy, 215 lbs and an aggressive rider and my 959 was set up way too soft as delivered. Increased rebound and compression settings front and rear a lot to get it handling the way I like. I did end up taking one turn of preload out of the front fork to get the nose down and turning in quicker. It is working well now and don't really have any complaints but the ride is stiffer than most bikes I've owned, just a characteristic of the breed.

Front Preload 3 turns in from full soft
Front Compression 1 turn out from full stiff
Front Rebound 2.5 turns out from full stiff

Rear Preload Standard
Rear Compression .5 turns out from full stiff
Rear Rebound 8 clicks out from full stiff

Mode: Race
DTC Level 3
ABS Level 1
EBC Level 3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts