Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone does upgrade the oem calipers to 1299 M50?

I got a pair from a guy, he told me it's plug and play, no modification.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is not plug and play, the masters are not compatible. Honestly you are better off not using them, upgrade pads, brake lines, and or masters better brake feel.

Here is Jarel from Ducati omahas post on the older 899 forum

"Some bad information here, I'll clarify just for everyone else's future benefit. The M50 calipers on the 1199/1299 have smaller internal pistons, and require a smaller-diameter master cylinder to operate properly. The RCS17 mentioned above is Brembo's performance master cylinder designed for the M50 calipers. The RCS19 is NOT designed to work with M50 calipers, it's too large of a piston and will give reduced feel at the lever. The stock 899 master is also not designed to work with the M50 calipers.

My advice, take it or leave it, is putting M50's on an 899 is not really an upgrade. Putting an RCS19 master and some good SBS brake pads in the stock 899 calipers would be a WAY more effective upgrade than strapping on some M50's from an 1199. If you want an upgraded caliper that will work properly with your 899 master cylinder, get the M4 Monoblocs off of any 1098/1198/Diavel. Thos will work with your stock master, or the Brembo RCS19 (or any other Brembo 19mm racing master, if it's a track-only bike, and you don't need the brake switch on the RCS).

Also, the 1199/1299 Bosch 9ME abs pump is not a good idea, that pump operates much different than the 9MP than comes standard on the 899. The 899 ECU does not feed the correct signals to the ABS unit to gain any of the additional functions that the 1199/1299 ABS has, so it's not going to gain you anything. It will probably also generate errors on the dash, and probably not work properly. Most importantly it will certainly have potential to cause warranty coverage issues on your bike.

The best/simplest upgrade for your braking is to upgrade your brake pads first, then upgrade your master cylinder if you feel you need more braking power, then upgrade calipers if you are getting brake fade on the track, then finally upgrade rotors if you're a hard-core racer. Also bypassing the ABS will gain a little more power and feel on a race bike."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not plug and play, the masters are not compatible. Honestly you are better off not using them, upgrade pads, brake lines, and or masters better brake feel.

Here is Jarel from Ducati omahas post on the older 899 forum

"Some bad information here, I'll clarify just for everyone else's future benefit. The M50 calipers on the 1199/1299 have smaller internal pistons, and require a smaller-diameter master cylinder to operate properly. The RCS17 mentioned above is Brembo's performance master cylinder designed for the M50 calipers. The RCS19 is NOT designed to work with M50 calipers, it's too large of a piston and will give reduced feel at the lever. The stock 899 master is also not designed to work with the M50 calipers.

My advice, take it or leave it, is putting M50's on an 899 is not really an upgrade. Putting an RCS19 master and some good SBS brake pads in the stock 899 calipers would be a WAY more effective upgrade than strapping on some M50's from an 1199. If you want an upgraded caliper that will work properly with your 899 master cylinder, get the M4 Monoblocs off of any 1098/1198/Diavel. Thos will work with your stock master, or the Brembo RCS19 (or any other Brembo 19mm racing master, if it's a track-only bike, and you don't need the brake switch on the RCS).

Also, the 1199/1299 Bosch 9ME abs pump is not a good idea, that pump operates much different than the 9MP than comes standard on the 899. The 899 ECU does not feed the correct signals to the ABS unit to gain any of the additional functions that the 1199/1299 ABS has, so it's not going to gain you anything. It will probably also generate errors on the dash, and probably not work properly. Most importantly it will certainly have potential to cause warranty coverage issues on your bike.

The best/simplest upgrade for your braking is to upgrade your brake pads first, then upgrade your master cylinder if you feel you need more braking power, then upgrade calipers if you are getting brake fade on the track, then finally upgrade rotors if you're a hard-core racer. Also bypassing the ABS will gain a little more power and feel on a race bike."
Sadly that I purchased it already.

What I really care about is can it fit to 959 with oem brake lines?

I can replace stock master cylinder with rcs 17 later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I see from revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/brembo-m50-brake-caliper

The fitment chart lists the 959, what should I follow?
well it fits on the bike, that is not the issue. maybe you should re read above
Can you please tell me more details?

As I understand:

- The master cylinder piston oem in 899/959 is not designed to work with M50. But from the link I posted above, jaelj also said that going 1mm bigger on master cylinder is not problem, so the oem 959 is 18mm should be fine
- The ABS is not issue as I still use the oem

What did I miss?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I just realize that going 1mm is comparing to 1199/1299 stock, which is 16mm. So 899/959 oem master cylinder is not suitable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't find used master cylinder from 1199/1299 in my local.

But I found a guy who have one from Aprilia RSV4 2017, it's look like the same as master cylinder of 1199/1299 except the color (Because Aprillia RSV4 2013-2017 use the same M50).

Can I use it to replace my OEM?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can't find used master cylinder from 1199/1299 in my local.

But I found a guy who have one from Aprilia RSV4 2017, it's look like the same as master cylinder of 1199/1299 except the color (Because Aprillia RSV4 2013-2017 use the same M50).

Can I use it to replace my OEM?

Why don’t you just sell the m50 calipers ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
592 Posts
What was the issue you were having with your OEM Panigale 959 brakes that started you down this road of modification?

I was not happy with my OEM Panigale 959 brakes either. They were chronically spongy. Repeated trips to the dealer for warranty claims for lousy brakes resulted in a a new updated OEM Brembo master cylinder under warranty coverage, and it exceeds my expectations.

It was a process, and we toyed with changing the master, upgrading the calipers, etc. In the end a new 959 OEM brembo master solved the spongy brake problem.

If you are not happy with your OEM braking system, see if you can get a newer model OEM master installed rather than changing the calipers.

There are many threads and posts about spongy brakes. There must have been a real problem with many of the pre 2018 Brembo masters on the 959 and 899.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
@cuonglm - Are you out-braking the stock calipers? Or is it more for looks, etc? Just curious.

·
Registered
385 Posts
@cuonglm - Are you out-braking the stock calipers? Or is it more for looks, etc? Just curious.
the M50 is such an amazing caliper that i think people just naturally want them on their 959, people either get them with out doing the due diligence or get sort of swindled into buying them as @coungm mentioned the guy was like "they are plug and play"

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
the M50 is such an amazing caliper that I think people just naturally want them on their 959, people either get them with out doing the due diligence or get sort of swindled into buying them as @coungm mentioned the guy was like "they are plug and play"
Ah! My 1199 has the M50's, super nice for sure. But the 959 brakes are excellent too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think I don't out braking stock caliper.

But in my recent trip, I crashed due to my front brake stop working. it's a downhill corner, I'm in 40 kmh, I turned the bike, I feel the rear wheel start sliding, I stand up the bike and pull the brake to slow it down, but the bike still go straight ahead. I jump out of the bike.

Back to my hometown, a mechanic check the front brake and he told me there's air in brake lines (which I think my local dealer did it in my last service).

Actually, the OEM brake master is good enough for me, but that M50 is more performance than OEM, and looks better, too. So trading my OEM + a little money for M50 is fine for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the M50 is such an amazing caliper that i think people just naturally want them on their 959, people either get them with out doing the due diligence or get sort of swindled into buying them as @coungm mentioned the guy was like "they are plug and play"
I fitted it to my bike yesterday, and no modification at all. I have to turn the OEM brake lines a little bit, and get 2 titanium head bolts:

- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RNkAAOSwnH1WYH~s/s-l1600.jpg for right caliper
- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5V0AAOSwsTVawnCX/s-l1600.jpg for left caliper

I need to keep washers from OEM, the washer came with M50 is too thick.

And the final results: https://scontent.fhan2-3.fna.fbcdn....=06a6c40270dde5d66212e6ab2530642c&oe=5B56BF4A

I think I will run the bike until my left fairings shipped, then I will add RCS 17.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don’t think you needed new calipers, all you needed was racing brake pads. The stock pads absolutely suck for track use - because they aren’t intended for the harsh environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think M50 def looks bad *** on the 959 especially because it says Brembo in red, but let us know how they perform on the street and track?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Nice to know they fit in any case.

The ABS is what I like least in regards to the feel of the OEM 959 brakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice to know they fit in any case.

The ABS is what I like least in regards to the feel of the OEM 959 brakes.
I'm not a professional rider and here in Hanoi, there's no track for us. I (and Hanoi's riders) mostly ride in the street.

I have to say I quite satisfy with what M50 bring to my 959. The looks, the brake feel is way better than stock IMHO. I will use stock master cylinder for months before switching to RCS 17.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts