Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to this forum, new Ducati owner as well. Love the bike, started doing some tinkering after looking through a lot of threads on this forum. If this is not posted in the right place I apologize. I tried searching multiple forums and could not find anyone with this same issue. I am hoping it will save someone else the headache that I am dealing with now. Here is what's going on:

- Bought a used 1299s headlight off of someone to put on my 2016 959 , light is in great shape. Testing it on the bench, all of the lights work properly
- Wired it up according to the 1299s diagram and cross referencing it to the 959 wiring diagram(listed below)

Headlight Side - Bike Side
Red - White
Yellow - Yellow/Gray
Blue - Yellow
Green - Yellow/White
Black - Black

When I turn to ACC position, I get the pilot lights. When I start the bike, I get the low beams. Hi Beams will not come on with the bike running. My turn signals will not function properly either. I can get the left turn signal to activate but I cannot shut it off unless I shut the bike off. Brake lights work properly. If I put the original halogen headlight back in, everything works correctly again. I cannot for the life of me figure this out. It seems like the bike needs to see some resistance in order to activate the hi beams and for the signals to work. I have tried using a load resistor going from the hi beam wire ( Yellow/Gray) to the ground (Black), I also tried putting a load resistor on the low beam wire (Yellow/White) to the ground. If I take the 12 volt wire (White) and jump it to the Hi beam wire, the hi beams will activate as well. I am really hoping someone can help me out with this one! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Once I get it working, I will clean up everything and put her back together but until then, she sits in pieces in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
The turn signals are an odd change. I don't know why those would be affected at all...hmm. I haven't done the install on a 959 but the wiring you listed is also correct for the 899, which is what I have. The blue and black wires are only for the DRL power and ground, and mine are connected via a connector--I'm not sure what the corresponding wires on the OEM harness were, but I assume you have them connected properly.

Are you still using the relays? ie: left all of the halogen wiring/connectors intact? When I did mine I had a wiring connector made by someone on here that had male spade connectors that connected to the female spade connectors within the relays. Once you wire everything up, you technically don't need the relays at all. I removed mine and the associated halogen wiring. BUT, I don't believe that has anything to do with your problem. I'm at a loss.

Maybe someone else can help out more than me :)

I can provide this wiring diagram that I got with my harness, but I think you already know all this info.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQ35PlSQO1PB2gSovwQO6R2P7mXEO93z/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I did remove all of the relays as well. I discovered what the issue was, total face palm moment. The up button on the display screen wasn’t working either which I found out later. Once I saw that it wasn’t working I knew something else was going on. I traced the harness and found that the connector was broken/not making contact. Looks like the previous owner had take. It apart and broke the locking tab so the harness was barely making contact and was preventing the turn signal cancellation, up button and hi beam activation from working. The wiring was all correct, no load issues.

What might be helpful for anyone doing this is the wiring pinout and what they do. All of my searches couldn’t produce a clear cut diagram with the function of each wire. I attached some photos that might help someone in the future. Overall it’s pretty easy as long as you aren’t tracking down some phantom issue.

The photo contains both the headlight and bike side I listed above with the functions which can be useful for testing/troubleshooting. There are two white wires that come from the bike, you only need one. There is also a junction where the ground splits out to both relays and the pilot light. I cut out the junction and wired straight to the light. Thanks for racking your brain for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I google searched and found everything I needed when I did my swap. This is the information source I used for mine.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014051...-headlight-899-panigale-picture-overload.html

I used an oem connector and even wired diodes into the control circuits, wrapped it all in cloth tape and now its nearly identical to an OEM 1299s harness. The hardest part of the swap is taking off the headlight fairing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts