Here are some pictures of my 1299s headlight retrofit

It's not an easy install

Screws strip very easily, wire loom is a very tight fit

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part number 4601D171A is needed for the installation as the led heat sinks protrude above the plastic trim to dissipate the heat or you can cut the plastic out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took about 6-7 hours between fiddling around removing all the pieces without scratching the paint.

Panels are a pita to remove and reinstall.

The screws strip just looking at them.

I've tried to add more pictures but I'm having a hard time.

The lighting difference is Day and night compared to the halogen.

You will need to cut the plastic trim near the cluster or purchase the 1299s plastic cluster because it's cut out for the led heat sinks where the 899/959/1199 are full with no cutouts.

I cut out most of the harness and relays because they are not needed and I don't plan on ever removing the light again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So assuming you purchased the 1299S plastic cluster, what other list of parts to you believe will best make this possible?
Also, gratz on doing this. Can't wait to see some more pics when you get the chance. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now I'm waiting for a couple of parts to come in to see if everything will fit back together, I'm also waiting for the tinted windscreen before I finish up so should be about another week

So for the headlight conversion what I've used so far

1299s headlight
4601D171a meter cover

I've removed all the connectors as much as I could and saudered the connections as I have no intention of removing the light

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you think you did this installation in the most efficient way, or would a mechanic or professional mod shop do it differently?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installation was not very complicated if your a little mechanically inclined and patient.

It's going into the unknown that's the worse because you don't know what to expect.

Removing everything is easy along with picture taking, I looked at several videos on YouTube before proceeding with this.

Everything was strait forward however the only issue up to date is the gauge surround ( meter cover ) is needed for the installation otherwise you will have to cut it out like I did.

I didn't like the end result so I ordered the meter cover from a 1299s which was like only 30.00 cad or 27.00 us.

I took advantage to get some pro-ti titanium screws for the windshield along with the smoked Ducati windshield since I have the front disassembled.

I'm not up to doing this again anytime soon .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Installation was not very complicated if your a little mechanically inclined and patient.

It's going into the unknown that's the worse because you don't know what to expect.

Removing everything is easy along with picture taking, I looked at several videos on YouTube before proceeding with this.

Everything was strait forward however the only issue up to date is the gauge surround ( meter cover ) is needed for the installation otherwise you will have to cut it out like I did.

I didn't like the end result so I ordered the meter cover from a 1299s which was like only 30.00 cad or 27.00 us.

I took advantage to get some pro-ti titanium screws for the windshield along with the smoked Ducati windshield since I have the front disassembled.
--- Can you kindly advise which smoked windshield you were able to use? I am unsure if the 899 or 1299 aftermarket options are a fit and manufacturers websites such as Puig, do not have 959 confirmed fit listed yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im using the ducati performance smoked windshield Thats about 30mm more than the regular one.

It's in the accessory page on the Ducati USA website

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to add pictures but it seems like I can't, I can only upload 1 at a time. I can email the pics if someone can post them for me

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Here's @360turbo 's pictures part 1 of 2 - he sent me them via email - I had to save them as lower quality jpeg to bring the file size down - NO processing was done by me (no color, levels, unsharp mask, etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Here's @360turbo 's pictures part 2 of 2 - he sent me them via email - I had to save them as lower quality jpeg to bring the file size down - NO processing was done by me (no color, levels, unsharp mask, etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any new information on this conversion. I was able to snag one for $600 tonight, trying to dig up as much info as possible before start. Any issue since doing the install? Saw on another forum you had a buzzing sound when your first turned the headlight on. Ever figure out if that was normal?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts