Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Gents,
Purchased a used 2016 959 a few weeks ago and love her to a degree thus far. First day I had her, the screw assembly that connects the shift lever to the left foot peg somehow became loose and fell off mid ride going down the high way...had to call and have the local dealer come out and install a new one.
Last night, I pull into my driveway waiting for my garage door to open and the throttle seems loose (not getting much gas at all)...walk it into the garage and notice that the phillips head screws that hold the throttle by wire body together are loose and one is missing.
This morning I go out to do an overall check on the bike to see what all I need to pick up for parts while im at the local dealer, and multiple fairing hex screws are lose...
Long story short...is this a normal problem? I had a 06 GSXR forever and all I did was maintain and change her oil and never had one single issue....here I am 2 weeks into a beautiful 959 and already have 3 issues...I mean common sense says go get some loctite and tighten everything down across the entire bike but cmon...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Morning Gents,
Purchased a used 2016 959 a few weeks ago and love her to a degree thus far. First day I had her, the screw assembly that connects the shift lever to the left foot peg somehow became loose and fell off mid ride going down the high way...had to call and have the local dealer come out and install a new one.
Last night, I pull into my driveway waiting for my garage door to open and the throttle seems loose (not getting much gas at all)...walk it into the garage and notice that the phillips head screws that hold the throttle by wire body together are loose and one is missing.
This morning I go out to do an overall check on the bike to see what all I need to pick up for parts while im at the local dealer, and multiple fairing hex screws are lose...
Long story short...is this a normal problem? I had a 06 GSXR forever and all I did was maintain and change her oil and never had one single issue....here I am 2 weeks into a beautiful 959 and already have 3 issues...I mean common sense says go get some loctite and tighten everything down across the entire bike but cmon...
Due to the vibrations it is more commonly known to lose screws than an inline 4.
This sounds like bad assembly more than anything though.
Go through the torque specs on all screws and bolts or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You bought the bike used, so without knowing the history, it is hard to say why you might be having so many loose issues.

Perhaps the previous owner installed rearsets, the throttle spacers, and track fairings then took it back to stock in a hurry before trading it in. I would take it back to the dealer with a bottle of Loctite as you referenced and tell them to tighten everything down and throw in your first service for free to compensate you for your effort... and bottle of Loctite.

I had a dealer install the Rizoma RRC rearsets and they came apart, but that is because they are adjustable and meant to be fitted before torquing the bolts down and the tech didn't take the effort to do it correctly. I changed dealers and they removed then reinstalled them and I haven't had any further issues.

I wouldn't fault Ducati, but rather how the bike was prepped for delivery.

Where are you located? Perhaps a member here lives in the area and can recommend someone better to take care of your new toy.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bought the bike used, so without knowing the history, it is hard to say why you might be having so many loose issues.

Perhaps the previous owner installed rearsets, the throttle spacers, and track fairings then took it back to stock in a hurry before trading it in. I would take it back to the dealer with a bottle of Loctite as you referenced and tell them to tighten everything down and throw in your first service for free to compensate you for your effort... and bottle of Loctite.

I had a dealer install the Rizoma RRC rearsets and they came apart, but that is because they are adjustable and meant to be fitted before torquing the bolts down and the tech didn't take the effort to do it correctly. I changed dealers and they removed then reinstalled them and I haven't had any further issues.

I wouldn't fault Ducati, but rather how the bike was prepped for delivery.

Where are you located? Perhaps a member here lives in the area and can recommend someone better to take care of your new toy.
Completely agree with you and I appreciate the comment. I live in the Tampa Bay area. Not quite faulting Ducati by any means but wanted to get some others opinions before doing the ole classic "Jump to Conclusion" routine haha. I am running up to the dealership in a few moments to grab a couple of parts and the missing screw, will hit home depot and snag a bottle of loctite and go through the entire bike. Any more suggestions or if anyone lives in Tampa, please let me know! Will buy beers and have a bike work night in the garage!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Completely agree with you and I appreciate the comment. I live in the Tampa Bay area. Not quite faulting Ducati by any means but wanted to get some others opinions before doing the ole classic "Jump to Conclusion" routine haha. I am running up to the dealership in a few moments to grab a couple of parts and the missing screw, will hit home depot and snag a bottle of loctite and go through the entire bike. Any more suggestions or if anyone lives in Tampa, please let me know! Will buy beers and have a bike work night in the garage!!!!
Sounds like whoever owned the bike before you didn't use any loctite after removing and reinserting the screws. I have had screws come off on both of my bikes when I didn't use any.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Will buy beers and have a bike work night in the garage!!!!
On my way! I live in Miami but a beer is a beer :grin2:

JK, good luck with the bike.

Reactions: SSMOKE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds sketchy would take bike to duc mech and have him take off the fairings and torque check everything he can get to. Bought mine Feb 2016 nothing has come loose . Loctite was used when appropriate when adding mods. Bike has been on the track where i was in high rev range frequently. Nothing has ever been loose.
Love my bike funniest thing I have ever bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
This morning I go out to do an overall check on the bike ... and multiple fairing hex screws are lose...
Loose and not gone? If you still have them, that's awesome, seeing how they're like 7USD a pop from Ducati.

From personal experience, I've lost 4 of the fairing screws from not tightening them down with thread locker - 100% my fault since while in the middle of messing around underneath the fairings, I was going to do it after. Nope, lost 4 within 1-2 hours of riding.

There's a thread somewhere on here for bolts to check, but indeed yours seems like someone forgot to: A) tighten them down or B) tighten them down with some threadlocker.

Just take the time to add some blue and you'll be golden. Aside from losing the 4, I haven't run into any other loose bolts. I've taken a lot of stuff apart though, so when putting back together, I made sure to add some blue threadlocker so I may not have noticed any loose bolts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loose and not gone? If you still have them, that's awesome, seeing how they're like 7USD a pop from Ducati.

From personal experience, I've lost 4 of the fairing screws from not tightening them down with thread locker - 100% my fault since while in the middle of messing around underneath the fairings, I was going to do it after. Nope, lost 4 within 1-2 hours of riding.

There's a thread somewhere on here for bolts to check, but indeed yours seems like someone forgot to: A) tighten them down or B) tighten them down with some threadlocker.

Just take the time to add some blue and you'll be golden. Aside from losing the 4, I haven't run into any other loose bolts. I've taken a lot of stuff apart though, so when putting back together, I made sure to add some blue threadlocker so I may not have noticed any loose bolts.
Totally understandable and I appreciate the heads up. Bought some blue, figured I would pop the fairings off, check everything out and then blue em all up! I did end up losing the phillips head screw that holds the throttle by wire body together...that sucked haha...and when I loosed the bottom one, there was clearly no blue on it at all...so yes, definitely need to torque all these down

·
Registered
892 Posts
Oh right, the one bolt that I did notice was loose that I learned from here that is definitely high priority is the kickstand bolt. I don't think it was going anywhere since there's a retaining clip (maybe?? it's been a while) behind it, but still it was loose.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts