Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching the forums to see what folks do to reduce oil consumption in the bikes.

People add 2 stroke oil to the gas and swear by it.

Been testing Oil

Anybody try this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’m not an expert on oils and engines, but I wouldn’t try a different oil specs.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not an expert on oils and engines, but I wouldn’t try a different oil specs.

The idea is that by adding a miniscule amount of 2 stroke TC-W3 ashless oil to gas at a 500:1 (5 gal gas to one ounce oil) the effect of lousy ethanol and contaminant laden gas is offset.

No change at all to the motor oil used in the engine, this is about gas additives to help the engine run better with less wear due to poor quality fuels.

Just wondering if any here have tried it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The idea is that by adding a miniscule amount of 2 stroke TC-W3 ashless oil to gas at a 500:1 (5 gal gas to one ounce oil) the effect of lousy ethanol and contaminant laden gas is offset.

No change at all to the motor oil used in the engine, this is about gas additives to help the engine run better with less wear due to poor quality fuels.

Just wondering if any here have tried it.

Makes sense.

I have an A4 2011 model, this year’s model is very known as a heavy oil consumer, but I have never heard anything like that before on A4 fóruns. But, the reason I’ve never heard could be due to a lack of 2 stroke engine on cars, which I only have seen the DKW, but motorcycles we use to have a lot of models with 2 stroke engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been doing it for years on my 2 previous Buell 1125's with increased gas mileage and less overall engine knock or noise. I usually put in 2 tablespoons worth every other gas fill. I have plans to introduce the same in the Panigale but I am holding off for awhile until she has more mileage ~6kmi.

On a side note, I also put 100oct in my bikes every 3 months or so during the riding season. Usually just 1 gallon and the rest 93oct.

-J:cool:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been doing it for years on my 2 previous Buell 1125's with increased gas mileage and less overall engine knock or noise. I usually put in 2 tablespoons worth every other gas fill. I have plans to introduce the same in the Panigale but I am holding off for awhile until she has more mileage ~6kmi.

On a side note, I also put 100oct in my bikes every 3 months or so during the riding season. Usually just 1 gallon and the rest 93oct.

Cool. I plan to try is on my dual sport first and see how it goes before I pay with the Panigale. Fascinating tip!

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's got to be the oddest thing I've read in a while...

...but after reading about 20 pages in that thread, it certainly has peaked my interest. I'm not sure I buy that adding in 2t oil is the main contributor to improved mileage and cleanliness, since it seems like most everyone in that thread anecdotally does other things in addition to it (stacking multiple best practices).

The most interesting thus far was this comparison:

Hard to say that the 2t oil combusts with equal or more power based on constant pressure combustion, but it's intriguing that adding it in visually results in a cleaner burn (albeit at constant pressure).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My 2c, stick to the owners manual's recommendation. My answer would be different if I had a vintage engine.

IMHO, 91 octane with ethanol or 91 octane without ethanol is still 91 octane. Either/or is fine with me.
However, I do avoid ethanol gas for winterization. Ethanol is hydrophilic — it likes to absorb water thus corrosive.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2c, stick to the owners manual's recommendation. My answer would be different if I had a vintage engine.

IMHO, 91 octane with ethanol or 91 octane without ethanol is still 91 octane. Either/or is fine with me.
However, I do avoid ethanol gas for winterization. Ethanol is hydrophilic — it likes to absorb water thus corrosive.
The larger question is do supplemental fuel additives have any value? They are sold in all kinds of formulations, yet their use is neither standard practice or specifically advised by manufacturers.

Engine gurus often add all kinds of things to oil and gas.

The subjective findings in that thread regarding engine idle "feeling" etc is not too compelling, but the findings about mileage changes, and the findings about qualitative improvements in reduced engine oil consumption and teardown condition of the engine make me want to try it out.

My dual sport consumes oil which is pretty normal for the type of engine, and I run it WOT 75% of the time. If I can reduce that consumption by keeping the ring pack seal more efficient through a cleaner burn, then I have an excellent outcome.

I will be testing out the 2 stroke oil addition to the fuel and gauging any changes in engine oil consumption over time and spark plug condition over time.

The changes will have to be significant or the laws of diminishing returns will apply.

Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The larger question is do supplemental fuel additives have any value? They are sold in all kinds of formulations, yet their use is neither standard practice or specifically advised by manufacturers..
For the price of an additive bottle (ok maybe a bit more, $10.99/gal), I can buy 1 gallon of Sunoco 100oct 250 GT and rip around town for 40miles and feel much better about it.

If you are going to try the 2-stroke oil, make **** sure you look into the Synthetic varities, the Marine oils are preferred. Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil

Been testing Oil <<---Real long thread here from the LS1 guys.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the price of an additive bottle (ok maybe a bit more, $10.99/gal), I can buy 1 gallon of Sunoco 100oct 250 GT and rip around town for 40miles and feel much better about it.

If you are going to try the 2-stroke oil, make **** sure you look into the Synthetic varities, the Marine oils are preferred. Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil

Been testing Oil <<---Real long thread here from the LS1 guys.

Indeed. I linked to that thread in the first post. Somewhere in the 57 pages of that thread it is mentioned that synthetic is actually not the best choice because it leaves a varnish compared to dinosaur based oil and eeven the cheapest TC W3 rated marine 2 stroke oil gets the job done.

The main thing is:

"You want TC W3 rating. That is for water cooled marine 2 stroke engines. Valvoline/Pennzoil/SuperTech at Walmart.....your after the TC W3 as it has the add packs/viscosity we were looking for." -Sarge

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The larger question is do supplemental fuel additives have any value? They are sold in all kinds of formulations, yet their use is neither standard practice or specifically advised by manufacturers.
Yes, That was exactly my point. I don't trust additives and prefer sticking with the manufacturers recommendations.
I'm old enough to remember the STP scandal. My bit about ethanol was an aside but somewhat related. It's an additive that's now a part of modern fuels but not necessarily a good thing in all circumstances.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=o....1c.1.64.img..0.6.482...35i39k1.0.M7ihHRQQlD0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts