Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

2018 959 orange fluid on engine casing?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  t_bare 
#1 ·
Hi folks

Took the fairings off my new (to me) 2018 959 with 1200 mile to give it a good clean, and noticed a weird orange liquid dripping down the left hand side of the engine casing from the top of the crank case

After inspection it has the feel of engine oil, but ive never seen orange engine oil before
There had been a fair amount built-up in a pool ontop of the crank case

After having a peruse through the forum, and google- it seems it may be the infamous coolant leak- what do we think?

I’ve also noticed that the coolant reservoir was bone dry- but not sure if this is an overflow and therefore should be empty until expansion (bike not run for a day)

If this is coolant, whats the fix? I assume I can get this done under warranty

the previous owner barely touched the bike, seemed to have had it sitting for years and used it every now and then- and the pool of fluid had a fair amount of dirt and grit in it which makes me thing its been leaking for awhile now as ive only put about 300 mile on in lovely weather in the past week. Ive cleaned it off and will keep an eye-on

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi folks

Took the fairings off my new (to me) 2018 959 with 1200 mile to give it a good clean, and noticed a weird orange liquid dripping down the left hand side of the engine casing from the top of the crank case

After inspection it has the feel of engine oil, but ive never seen orange engine oil before
There had been a fair amount built-up in a pool ontop of the crank case

After having a peruse through the forum, and google- it seems it may be the infamous coolant leak- what do we think?

I’ve also noticed that the coolant reservoir was bone dry- but not sure if this is an overflow and therefore should be empty until expansion (bike not run for a day)

If this is coolant, whats the fix? I assume I can get this done under warranty

the previous owner barely touched the bike, seemed to have had it sitting for years and used it every now and then- and the pool of fluid had a fair amount of dirt and grit in it which makes me thing its been leaking for awhile now as ive only put about 300 mile on in lovely weather in the past week. Ive cleaned it off and will keep an eye-on

Cheers
So I was in the same situation as you. I too bought a 2017 959 from a collector last year. He only had 64kms on it. This winter I had coolant leaking. Turns out one of the hoses and clamp needed to be replaced. My clutch fuild was also leaking so purchased a new cylinder slave. Now it runs perfect. So look into the hoses for the coolant leaks. As far as the orange fuild, I too don't have any idea. Give Ducati a shout and send them some pics via email. I'm sure they will be able to give you some further info on it

#3 ·
Cheers matey :) I was looking at replacing the hoses at some point for AS3/Similar brand as ive used them before and theyre fantastic.
Pleased to know you’ve had no issues since

I’ve had a word with a few different Ducati dealerships here in the UK and they’ve been nothing but useless, and keep referring me to get it looked at by the dealer I bought it from (non-ducati)

ill be doing a coolant flush soon once ive got the new hoses, and will be doing it myself as I dont trust dealerships these days to do a decent job.
Cheers again

#7 ·
$1400 to replace the water pump on a 2019 Panigale with just 700 miles on the clock.

Just came out of warranty in May.

Ducati NA not helping out at all.

Bit peeved at the moment.

Just got done a week ago with my 18k mile belt and valve check service on my 939 SuperSport….cost was $1300.

My dealer loves me.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Definitely coolant. A bad radiator cap all not allow coolant to return to the reservoir and work like a check valve the as the engine cools it draws coolant and as it heats it expands and forces it somewhere. If not to the reservoir, then somewhere like the clamps or the weep hole. I'd suggest a new rad cap and be sure to refill the reservoir and be care as it is really difficult to see the level. This is the cheapest easiest first step. If the problem continues be sure to look above where the coolant maybe coming from. If the bike is on the side stand, the coolant will most like run right where you found it so don't automatically think it is coming from the weep hole.

Good Luck
t_bare

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.