Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm doing my first track day at Sonoma Raceway on 8/13 on my 959 Corse. I've got the following:

• Pitbull Paddock Stands
  • Moto-D Tire Warmers
  • Extension Cords with power surge
  • T-Rex Frame Protection
  • Taking off bar end mirrors
  • Taping up rear lights
  • Full race leathers, gloves, helmets, boots

Am I missing anything? Do you all have any tips? Again, this will be my first time and we did rent a garage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Probably do a search on the site, It's been covered plenty of times.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take your time and learn the race lines. Have fun. No need for tire warmers on street tires.
I'm gonna be "That Guy," I think warmers are very important but not mandatory.
Here's why: 15 minute session will be about 10 laps. The first 3 laps your tires will be heating up and they will feel different each lap until hot and stable. So about 1/3 of your track day will be spent on "cold" tires. Financially tire warmers make sense ;)

t_bare

·
Registered
205 Posts
Turn 3 first lap with cold tyres and track no warmers (I don't need warmers)

Just waiting for the rest of my parts to come in :)

Attachments

Reactions: t_bare

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Warmers are a benefit for slicks and race DOTs'. Not so much for non-race DOT tires. Switched back from slicks to DOTs' for a season awhile back on my 749 (Pilot Powers). I used warmers because I already had them, but I did not notice any benefit in terms of tire wear or traction. I always take about three laps to get up to pace whether it be on slicks / warmers, or DOTs' anyway. If you run slicks without warmers you will most likely experience cold-tearing at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna be "That Guy," I think warmers are very important but not mandatory.

Here's why: 15 minute session will be about 10 laps. The first 3 laps your tires will be heating up and they will feel different each lap until hot and stable. So about 1/3 of your track day will be spent on "cold" tires. Financially tire warmers make sense ;)

t_bare

I agree. If it gives me more confidence, I think it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tank grips for your knees to lock you on to the bike if you don`t have them. Have fun on the carousel and ses

·
Registered
31 Posts
Turn 3 first lap with cold tyres and track no warmers (I don't need warmers)

Just waiting for the rest of my parts to come in :)
Exactly. (sorry about your low side)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Warmers are a benefit for slicks and race DOTs'. Not so much for non-race DOT tires. Switched back from slicks to DOTs' for a season awhile back on my 749 (Pilot Powers). I used warmers because I already had them, but I did not notice any benefit in terms of tire wear or traction. I always take about three laps to get up to pace whether it be on slicks / warmers, or DOTs' anyway. If you run slicks without warmers you will most likely experience cold-tearing at some point.
What tires are those? I see Diablo and SC1, but they don't look like supercorsas (no water tread)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why did your moment happen? Too much rear brake?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes. I need to adjust to two fingers on the front brake to engage it more. Been using index finger only.. any other tips?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Here's my tip for you @riteonjon - imagine you don't have a rear brake and never hold in your clutch like you did. You need to make every shift immediate and use the engine to break, then use front, then use rear - in that order. Your rear wheel slipped because you were holding in your clutch, free wheelin, then applied rear brake. All wrong. Glad you saved it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's my tip for you @riteonjon - imagine you don't have a rear brake and never hold in your clutch like you did. You need to make every shift immediate and use the engine to break, then use front, then use rear - in that order. Your rear wheel slipped because you were holding in your clutch, free wheelin, then applied rear brake. All wrong. Glad you saved it!

That’s some knowledge you just dropped on me. I probably freaked out and held in the clutch while rear braking. Good observation. I’ll keep that order in mind.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is this the method the pros use to back it in?
Method, no. It's mechanical. What you see in WSBK or MotoGP, when the rider is approaching a turn really fast and the rear wheel slides from side to side just before entering the turn... that's what I think you're talking about... is from down shifting at very high revs and the motor essentially can't keep up, thus making the rear tire slow down really quickly and lose traction. The slipper clutch lessens the blow during that transition. Without a slipper clutch and you're SOL.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts