Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just picked up my bike and was reading the manual, which says DQS for both up and down shifting, but I was under the impression it was only for up. Anyone know for sure? Possibly they just slap the same DQS blurb in all the manuals?

Attached relevant blurb.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Take it to the dealer with the manual and have them make it so :)

t_bare

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 959 Corse model and it has the Up and Down. So the manual is correct. Also realize it’s being originally translated from Italian to English so it will cover the broad spectrum of this beautiful piece of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 959 Corse model and it has the Up and Down. So the manual is correct. Also realize it’s being originally translated from Italian to English so it will cover the broad spectrum of this beautiful piece of work.

Corse doesn't have Up/Down quick shifter. You're probably cutting throttle when you shift down or even forcing the gear down which I do not recommend. An actual down quick shifter will blip the throttle for you so that the gear will easily go in.

·
Registered
216 Posts

If the shifter has two wires coming out of it, it is up only. If it has three wires then it has up and down. Have a quick look at the connector and let us know. But 99% chance it's only up and not down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Corse doesn't have Up/Down quick shifter. You're probably cutting throttle when you shift down or even forcing the gear down which I do not recommend. An actual down quick shifter will blip the throttle for you so that the gear will easily go in.

Yea planning on switching to GP shifting.
I’ll get you guys confirmation today but I am dead certain it’s up and down. Was talking to one of the Ducati technicians and stated that I would also need to tell the ECU that I am switching the pattern as it outputs at a different voltage for each direction.
I figure you can also just swap the wiring...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings
I have the 2019 959 Corse... the DQS definitely works for up and down shift.
Seems to work best on upshift with a good amount of throttle
For downshift you need to be on a slighty trailing throttle, however not fully closed.

Best Dayal

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not see the DQS “U/D” on my tac!
To my confirmation the Corse does Not have Down at least mine does not! As I thought it did. I thought everything since 2017 that the DQS “U/D” became standard. Feeling slightly disappointed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Once I get a 1299 3 wire shift sensor I will wire it in like the 1299 to see if it will work. But they are expensive right now just for an experiment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i highly doubt that will work...but hey worth a try :)
I agree but I checked the ECU pin outs and both the 1299 and the 959 have the same pin outs. The difference is how the 959 has it's two wire sensor wired in. My theory is maybe if I wire in the three wire sensor like a 1299, it will send voltage on the downshift to the ECU quick shift pin (#21) and it might blip. It's all just a theory though, I'm not sure what info the ECU uses to make a blip, like gear indication for example. Downshifting needs a throttle blip while up shifting needs a coil cut out so the stock computer probably doesn't know what to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Ducati 959 Corsa does have an auto blipper and the factory representative from the bologna factory demonstrated it. I am in the US. I had a super sport S and the Blipper worked the same. The only difference is that I don’t see U or D on the Gauge cluster, Probably because the regular 959 gauge cluster didn’t have it and they were not about to redo a whole gauge cluster for the corsa because they only make the corsa usually when they’re about to update the model. V4 being the exception.

QUOTE=RCEE;182634]Guy's as stated before, there is no 959 that leaves the factory with a blipper !

For downshift you need to be on a slighty trailing throttle, however not fully closed.
in fact, you SIMULATE a "blip".

This is how a blipper should work, no hands on the gas.....you can try this on the road /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

https://youtu.be/5MLyvSqdLmU[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Ducati 959 Corsa does have an auto blipper and the factory representative from the bologna factory demonstrated it. I am in the US. I had a super sport S and the Blipper worked the same. The only difference is that I don’t see U or D on the Gauge cluster, Probably because the regular 959 gauge cluster didn’t have it and they were not about to redo a whole gauge cluster for the corsa because they only make the corsa usually when they’re about to update the model. V4 being the exception.

QUOTE=RCEE;182634]Guy's as stated before, there is no 959 that leaves the factory with a blipper !

in fact, you SIMULATE a "blip".

This is how a blipper should work, no hands on the gas.....you can try this on the road /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

https://youtu.be/5MLyvSqdLmU
[/QUOTE]

Does the blipper work with 100% throttle closed??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree but I checked the ECU pin outs and both the 1299 and the 959 have the same pin outs. The difference is how the 959 has it's two wire sensor wired in. My theory is maybe if I wire in the three wire sensor like a 1299, it will send voltage on the downshift to the ECU quick shift pin (#21) and it might blip. It's all just a theory though, I'm not sure what info the ECU uses to make a blip, like gear indication for example. Downshifting needs a throttle blip while up shifting needs a coil cut out so the stock computer probably doesn't know what to do
My 959 is equipped with the tuneboy strain gauge quickshifter [ecu flashed]. This is a analog device that uses a specific voltage to determine the up/downshift. Im not sure how the default 959 shifter works, might be just a switch, maybe you can find some info in the workshop manual

If i find some time in winter i will do some measurments :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts