Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

2019 959 losing power/jumping while cruising

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Ducmotori 
#1 ·
Bike has 3300 miles on it, starts fine, idles fine, takes off fine, and power seems fine. Haven’t dinoed it to confirm, but it’s comparable to my R1, so I don’t think overall power is an issue.
When riding at a steady speed between 3,000-4500 rpms, bike will lose power, not shut off, just studder like it’s drowning. Getting on the throttle will push out of it, and the bike will pick up, but it’s a constant headache. Ran Sea Foam through it thinking maybe injectors dirty. Tried new gas thinking maybe bad gas. Changed spark plugs, inching up to more expensive items. Next, I’m thinking fuel pump maybe? Throttle sensor? I did replace the throttle control and tube (crashed and busted), but that was brand new from Ducati and has seemed fine, but maybe it’s defective?
Just curious if anyone has any other ideas. My dad was an auto mechanic for 30+ years, and his thought is fuel pump going bad, but I just don’t know. Its got 3300 miles on it. Possible I guess.

#3 ·
Thanks @t_bare. Yeah, those are good tight, no corrosion. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same kind of "power loss" though. I'm referring not to electrical power, but engine power. Like it loses a cylinder and power drops to maybe 30-40 hp. If I were to remain constant on the throttle and remain in that 3500-ish rpm range, could even be 1st gear, it would have trouble climbing the slightest 1% grade slope. If I get on the throttle, it'll sort-of drown out for 1-2 seconds, then all of a sudden jolt and pick up, getting out of that rough area. RPMs above 4500 or so, no problems at all.

#4 ·
When the terminals are loose the motor cuts in and out like what you have described. It sounds like you have ruled that out.

t_bare

#7 ·
Im almost certain you’re having problems with either the stator/rectifier going bad and/or the CPS (crank positioning sensor) going bad. I gad the same exact symptoms multiple times on my triumph daytona 675 and ended up replacing the stator, rectifier, and CPS sensor like 3 times before deciding to sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.