Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 959 Corse w/~6K miles. All stock, no mods.

Went for a 40 min highway ride, no issues. Bike behaved well, as always.

Came off the highway and immediately lost power.

Screen would light up OK, but fuel pump would not prime, so bike would not crank

Got it home, changed the blown 10A fuel pump fuse and everything seems normal.

Can anyone comment as to why the fuse blew? Is this a common occurrence, or just a fluke?

Should I be investigating further?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
First ever I heard of a fuse blowing under what seemed like normal riding conditions.
Let's talk this through... what causes a fuse to blow - the device is asking for more power than the fuse rating allows, or something in the system is causing a short that causes the amp draw to cause the fuse to blow. So either the fuel pump is the culprit or there's a possible wiring issue somewhere that's creeped up.
Have you spoken to your local Ducati Service Manager about it? What's he have to say - that's technical and a possible reason?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your warranty is expired, check the service manual. There probably is a way to test the fuel pump using a multimeter. Also check the condition of the fuse. Is it cracked or separated in any way? I've had cheap car audio fuses break, most likely from vibration, causing them to blow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to me in the first 10k miles. Rode twisties all day with no incidents only to leave me stranded on the way home. Fuel tank flange had chafed the fuel pump wire. Rewrapped the wire and made sure the tank wasn't sitting on it when it was lowered. Been fine ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 959 Corse w/~6K miles. All stock, no mods.

Went for a 40 min highway ride, no issues. Bike behaved well, as always.

Came off the highway and immediately lost power.

Screen would light up OK, but fuel pump would not prime, so bike would not crank

Got it home, changed the blown 10A fuel pump fuse and everything seems normal.

Can anyone comment as to why the fuse blew? Is this a common occurrence, or just a fluke?

Should I be investigating further?

Thanks
which fuse is the fuel pump fuse. none listed in the service manual are it and mine died on me leaving work and i can’t figure it out. have replaced the starter, starter relay and battery thinking that was the issue

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which fuse is the fuel pump fuse. none listed in the service manual are it and mine died on me leaving work and i can’t figure it out. have replaced the starter, starter relay and battery thinking that was the issue
10A fuse, located on the lower, left side of the bike. Fairing needs to come off to gain access.

Turns out, my fuel pump fuse issue was nothing more than a chaffed wire, which rubbed through the harness (also located on the lower, left side of the bike).

Bike runs perfectly now.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
10A fuse, located on the lower, left side of the bike. Fairing needs to come off to gain access.

Turns out, my fuel pump fuse issue was nothing more than a chaffed wire, which rubbed through the harness (also located on the lower, left side of the bike).

Bike runs perfectly now.

Thanks
okay cool is it in one of the fuse boxes right above the battery or lower then that

thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the fuel pump fuse pops again when you turn key on then you'll need to find the chafed wire. The picture I posted above shows a good place to start looking (under the tank).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts