Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
What are your former bikes? Are you coming off an inline 4, a triple, or are you a previous Ducati rider?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What are your former bikes? Are you coming off an inline 4, a triple, or are you a previous Ducati rider?
Presently have assorted Harleys, Monster 1200R, Triumph Street Triple RS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, and Triumph Street Twin. Will the 959 Corse only be offered in 2018, or can I expect to see it in 2019, and beyond? Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
My understanding is that the 959 will be carried forward as a twin offering, however the Corse is a special livery and as such, the future is vague.

As for previous experience, it seems that your background is quite diverse, however twins appear to be quite prevalent which is the reason I asked the question.

In my opinion, the Triumph will serve as a better street bike with the upright riding position and smoother power delivery.

The suspension, ergonomics, and power of the 959 Corse would allow it to dominate and provide far more enjoyment on the track.

Overall, the Panigale is manageable on the street and while it is slightly more expensive, it would far greater returns in the long run.

I started my Ducati path with a Monster 796 and bought the Panigale to add to my stable. The Panigale was ridden everywhere while my Monster collected dust. Finally, I traded it for my S1000RR. But that goes to show that I was much more comfortable on a sportbike than on a naked sport; cruising has never appealed to me, personally.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed response. I test rode the 959 Corse today (with the Ducati Panigale comfort seat) and was most stuck by how uncomfortable the riding position was around town, even for a short period. How long are you able to ride your Panigale before it becomes unenjoyable? Also, the heat on both upper thighs was unbearable. Not just when stopped in traffic, but even when rolling at 30 MPH. I'm used to lean-running Harleys melting between your legs on a hot, summer day, but this was a whole new level of discomfort.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've said it once, and I'll say it again... @DrSpencer - the 959 in any livery is not a "around the town" bike as you've experienced first hand - it's sole purpose is to go fast at lean angle, preferably in a controlled environment like at a track. When I go out for a "ride" its a "purpose" ride - meaning, I'm going to ride 74 Ortega Highway because I don't have the time to visit a track event. Or I'm going to the store to pick up some tri-tip or burgers and dogs. Either way I'm cutting thru traffic like a hot knife thru butter to get to the front of the red light - keeping the bike moving. It HATES going slow! and it's really not geared for it. The heat issue is remedied if you sit further back in the seat. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was out on my 2005 Suzuki SV650S all night. Extended highway runs, around town, back road twistys, etc.The riding position of this bike isn't cruiser-like by any stretch, but I was not uncomfortable during any part of my 2 hour ride. When I test rode the 959 Corse today (with the Ducati Comfort seat), I was limited to only go ~6 miles. Couple miles up a crowded highway at ~75MPH, then putting around town back to the dealer. During this brief time, I experienced the classic wrist pain, sore lower back, etc. I have limited Sportbike experience, but are the ergos of these two bikes that dramatically different? Do you think I would have been equally comfortable on the 959 if it was allowed to run? Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, you would, as you would also be uncomfortable on the majority of sport bikes, based on what you just said about 959 course tour.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Triumph and Panigale are two different bikes and compliment each other nicely in a two bike quiver. I love them both. The Panigale is more at home on the track than the roads. You can drive it on the roads as long as you do get stuck in traffic or stuck behind a slow poke. The RS is the exact opposite.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
...When I test rode the 959 Corse today (with the Ducati Comfort seat), I was limited to only go ~6 miles. Couple miles up a crowded highway at ~75MPH, then putting around town back to the dealer. During this brief time, I experienced the classic wrist pain, sore lower back, etc. I have limited Sportbike experience, but are the ergos of these two bikes that dramatically different? Do you think I would have been equally comfortable on the 959 if it was allowed to run? Thanks
Having established the 959 is most happy as an 80% Track/20% Street bike, the Corse is even moreso... it's even in the name! The upgraded suspension on the Corse is even better suited for the track.
6 miles is Definitely not enough time to test ride the 959 - unless you've owned Ducati's previously or have years of experience on other top tier sportbikes - of which the SV650 is not. Look at this picture of the 959 - see how the seat height is almost identical to the height of the clip-ons? That indicates the riding position is relatively extreme and is meant to be on its side, not sitting vertical. Now look at the SV650 and see the difference? MAJOR. Not only are the bars higher on the SV650, but they're closer to you. Completely different style of bikes and designed for completely different purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Having established the 959 is most happy as an 80% Track/20% Street bike, the Corse is even moreso... it's even in the name! The upgraded suspension on the Corse is even better suited for the track.
6 miles is Definitely not enough time to test ride the 959 - unless you've owned Ducati's previously or have years of experience on other top tier sportbikes - of which the SV650 is not. Look at this picture of the 959 - see how the seat height is almost identical to the height of the clip-ons? That indicates the riding position is relatively extreme and is meant to be on its side, not sitting vertical. Now look at the SV650 and see the difference? MAJOR. Not only are the bars higher on the SV650, but they're closer to you. Completely different style of bikes and designed for completely different purposes.
I probably should have mentioned my 2005 SV650 is a 'S' model, with clips ons. I'm going to set this bike up for the track (Gixxer front end, Penske rear shock, etc.). I do see your point, though. Excellent comparison. Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
For the Panigale, do people often go -1 tooth on the front sprocket, as they do on a Monster? Thanks
I went -1F on the Panigale to find 6th gear but kept the Monster's gearing stock as it can pull hard at low rpm's and is already wheelie happy as it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just traded my Street Triple RS for a 959 Corse. Have a Monster 1200R, had a Scrambler, but never had a Panigale. How about some suggestions for mods & accessories? Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just traded my Street Triple RS for a 959 Corse. Have a Monster 1200R, had a Scrambler, but never had a Panigale. How about some suggestions for mods & accessories? Thanks
Congrats.
Suggestions for Performance includes:

+Gearing change
+Levers that fit your hands (assuming you don't like the stock)
+Throttle spacers
+Carbon Fiber wheels

Tools:
+Front & Rear sockets
+Front & Rear stands

Bling...sky's the limit, but:
+Tail tidy

Reactions: bigwaves

·
Registered
439 Posts
congrats!

Evotech Radiator guard... I am not sure how much debris is scattered around your area, but it is the first thing I have installed.

Progrip 717 replacement grips... far more comfortable than stock and I found they help reduce the vibrations (same as what come stock on the SL).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but do people ever put bar risers on these bikes? Loving the bike, but the pain in between my shoulder blades is diminishing my riding enjoyment. Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
congrats!

Evotech Radiator guard... I am not sure how much debris is scattered around your area, but it is the first thing I have installed.

Progrip 717 replacement grips... far more comfortable than stock and I found they help reduce the vibrations (same as what come stock on the SL).
Thanks, forgot about that (DP) radiator guard which was installed before the first ride out of the dealer's parking lot.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but do people ever put bar risers on these bikes? Loving the bike, but the pain in between my shoulder blades is diminishing my riding enjoyment. Thanks

I believe someone tried to but found the reservoirs would hit the fairing and cause the turning radius to suffer. As well as being unsafe because of that fact, I don’t suggest it - hit the gym instead, it’ll get better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
I believe someone tried to but found the reservoirs would hit the fairing and cause the turning radius to suffer. As well as being unsafe because of that fact, I don’t suggest it - hit the gym instead, it’ll get better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed, risers will interfere with the fairings.

What I did to help with ergonomics is switch rearsets to an adjustable variety to find optimal settings ( much trial and error ). Tank pads, race seat, removal of clip on positioning pins for optimal wrist alignment with the hand controls under braking loads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts