Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep thats what happened, the dealer dropped off 955cc's of fire breathing Italian awesomeness upon my doorstep clad in white silk.

Hey everyone just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Northern Virginia and this is my first bike. Yeah I know its one **** of a bike to start out on but it felt the best out of everything I sat on. Im 6'2 275 so a ninja 250 was not going to cut it.

This maybe debatable, but I'm no fool so its wet mode all the way with all the rider aids turned up topnotch safety gear covering two layers of bubble wrap. and if anything does happen I'm in the Medical equipment business so at least i will be able to tell my customers first hand that my products are of the highest quality.

I chose White because its sort of a tradition. Every new vehicle i have ever bought has been white so i wasn't worried about the extra coin. although perhaps i should have chosen Red to hide the blood stains lol.

well i look forward to communicating with you all and perhaps I will learn a thing or two about riding they don't teach in the class.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I like you am new to the 959, but do have a little more riding experience, sounds like around 30+ years more, and have owned and ridden some awesome bikes, before the 959 was an 899 for just over 2 years, others have been 2011 CB1000R, 2010 Fireblade, 2008 R1, 2006 GSXR1000, GSXR600's x 2, TL1000R, plus quite a few more.

Keep it in wet for a while til you get some road experience, the 959 is an easy bike to ride, but just be careful with your right wrist, they can bite with a little too much twist.....

Safe riding

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I recommend the throttle spacer...

Less for performance and more for smoother learning curve...

Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I recommend the throttle spacer...
OOOOoohhhhhhh No!!! u didn't!!!

Welcome @Greenboy to the wonderful world of motorcycling!!! And Congratulations on the Arctic White Silk! :grin2:

What @Kevin.H is referring to is a tool that makes the throttle as precise as it can be - meaning, the slightest twist of the grip and the engine responds. IMO that is for advanced riders and I do not suggest you do the mod. You need to learn how the bike will react while twisting the grip first - and then once you're used to it, the riding position, and your balance, feel free to remove the slop from the twist grip.
The last thing you need at the start is the bike getting away from you because you switched riding positions and didn't think much about your wright wrist position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcom guys, I think Dingo is right on this one it may be something I want to do later when I have more awareness and control. But Kevin H if you are suggesting there are adjustable throttle spacers where I can control how precise the throttle is? That might be something worth looking into

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
It doesn't change the precision, It just changes where the throttle actually starts. It takes out the free play in it when the throttle is at 0%... The throttle position is still 50% wherever that's programmed; it doesn't change the rate or anything of that nature.

In essence, your throttle inputs are more predictable and repeatable because you don't have to feel or guess when the throttle will respond after you take up the free play.

*Wet mode will easily be enough to dull down the throttle response and keep any accidental inputs from getting the best of you...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thanks for the welcom guys, I think Dingo is right on this one it may be something I want to do later when I have more awareness and control. But Kevin H if you are suggesting there are adjustable throttle spacers where I can control how precise the throttle is? That might be something worth looking into
Agreed. I bought the spacers but have not installed them yet. Getting to know the bike first. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome, I work in Nova, but rarely ride up there unless going to work. Lots of fantastic roads about an hour south of you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OOOOoohhhhhhh No!!! u didn't!!!

Welcome @Greenboy to the wonderful world of motorcycling!!! And Congratulations on the Arctic White Silk! :grin2:

What @Kevin.H is referring to is a tool that makes the throttle as precise as it can be - meaning, the slightest twist of the grip and the engine responds. IMO that is for advanced riders and I do not suggest you do the mod. You need to learn how the bike will react while twisting the grip first - and then once you're used to it, the riding position, and your balance, feel free to remove the slop from the twist grip.
The last thing you need at the start is the bike getting away from you because you switched riding positions and didn't think much about your wright wrist position.
No disrespect to @Kevin.H (you 'da man, Kevin), but IMHO, @Dingo is as right as you can possibly be. More right that 50 right people. You need to learn how to roll on and off the throttle smoothly, and comfortably before making any launch mods. The 959 is very responsive in stock configuration. In fact, if you aren't completely confident in your throttle control, particularly in traffic, you'll lose the bike. You said that this was your first bike. You'll be shocked at how little movement you need to get power to the ground. Just a tiny bit - like millimeters. Once you're at speed, you can get a little greedier, but if you're just going on your first date with your friction zone and throttle, you're likely to be looking up at the sky. I would recommend going to a big, open space - like a mall parking lot early in the am and just practicing rolling on and off the throttle in a straight line. Once you can do this 10 times in a row without any jerking, then move on to gentle S curves. This will pay off in a major way when you get on the road. Another benefit is that you'll escape all the "squid" comments from other riders. :grin2:

Reactions: Kevin.H

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Moderation is for cowards ;-)

Reactions: NYCman

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Another benefit is that you'll escape all the "squid" comments from other riders. :grin2:

So long as you can resist the temptation of riding in flip flops to Starbucks...

Reactions: NYCman

·
Registered
82 Posts
So long as you can resist the temptation of riding in flip flops to Starbucks...
Ha! True dat! If I take a ride up to Montauk Point in the summer, I'll see at least 20 guys on liter bikes who've definitely had a few, and invariably they're wearing a helmet, shorts, and skate shoes. That's it. If they're riding 2-up, their passenger (always female) is wearing a helmet and a bikini with - no joke - flip flops. I sometimes get a glance back when I'm staring at these squids, but I'm pretty sure they think I'm checking out "their woman". What I'm really doing is wondering what will happen if they just drop the bike at a standstill. Nothing like a little permanent scarring on your girlfriend to dampen the relationship. If they were to lose the front or high side at speed? Yuk. I've been in the Marines and I know what shredded flesh looks like. I can't freaking believe how stupid these people are.

Reactions: Kevin.H

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NYC Man I planned to start off riding around my Neighborhood it's got a few sweeping corners some hills and a long flat straight away and very little traffic. I will take your advice and start working on throttle control on the straight away squids be damned. I'm 34yo and not stupid Ive invested heavily in protective gear and I intend to use it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
NYC Man I planned to start off riding around my Neighborhood it's got a few sweeping corners some hills and a long flat straight away and very little traffic. I will take your advice and start working on throttle control on the straight away squids be damned. I'm 34yo and not stupid Ive invested heavily in protective gear and I intend to use it.
Hey, no offense man. I'm sorry if I came off harsh. As you know, New Yorkers are a bunch of asshats. I just wanted to let you know that you might find the throttle to be touchy in it's stock condition. No one want's to see you or your beautiful new bike wrecked. Stay safe!

Reactions: Dingo

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Welcome, Greenboy! Keep a loose grip on the bars, look where you want to bike to go, and be smooth, smooth, smooth!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, no offense man. I'm sorry if I came off harsh. As you know, New Yorkers are a bunch of asshats. I just wanted to let you know that you might find the throttle to be touchy in it's stock condition. No one want's to see you or your beautiful new bike wrecked. Stay safe!
Nah NYC Man you got me wrong, I appreciated the advice and wasn't trying to be negative. I took my first ride today and spent a minute or two getting the hang of the throttle like you suggested and if I hadn't I wouldn't have remembered to change it from sport mode to wet and surely would have crashed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts