Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

As some of us already know some Ducati models suffer from a cold starting issue. Ducati are well aware of the problem but as now have no idea how to fix it.
I wanted to start a new thread on the subject as I also have this issue and all the post relating to it are outdated now.
So I want to know anyone else that is/has experienced this problem and if you were able to find a resolution or have any information that might help.

From what I have been able to figure out from my hours of google it is most likely down to the "Decompressor"
I found this article that explains it. https://rideapart.com/articles/2016-ducati-959-panigale-ride-review

Basically the part of interest states...
One interesting system bundled into the 959 Panigale is the “Decompressor” engine starting aid. This system modifies cam lift during engine startup in order to keep valves slightly open, reducing combustion chamber compression. This reduces load on the starter motor and battery, in turn reducing the required size of each. This results in an impressive 7.3lbs vehicle mass savings. However, it must be noted that on one occasion, the engine flooded and took several minutes to finally fire up under a cold-start condition. The root cause of this fault was not determined, but it’s hard to ignore the possibility of this decompressor system acting as a contributing factor.

From what I have been able to understand the value stays slightly open to aid with compression but when left for a longer period of time (say overnight) fuel vapours gather and build up though to the air box and that's why it fails to start, this is also why after 1 failed start if you turn the key off for 90 secs it will almost always start on the second hit. Once the bike has successfully started once the bike starts first time every time after that.

So the problem affect all models across the range not just the 959

From my own experience and trying various hit and miss solutions the best I can do is make it start on the 2nd attempt but only if i give it 90 seconds to shut down (you hear a clicking noise after that time)

I have spoken to Ducati numerous times but this problem has been around since Feb 2016 so I hold little hope for Ducati to fix it.

If anyone can offer any insight or better yet has fixed the issue please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
The whole auto decomp isn't nothing new as it's been done for years by numerous manufacturers,I wouldn't have thought that they would have stuffed it up but....If they did it would affect every bike produced like Honda's CRF450x, the decomp system in this bike wasn't opening the valves up enough to lower the compression so it caused the starter motors to burn out prematurely (no recall issued) but as I mentioned this affected all of the earlier built models. With my 959 it doesn't seem to matter how long I leave it to sit eg weeks with out starting it, she will just fire up first go cold or hot no difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
They started with the decompression starting on the 1199.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feel obligated to speak up as I was a pretty loud complainer about this so I'll give an update:

I took this issue up with the service department at my local dealership during the 600 mile service. Ultimately, the warranty department agreed to replace the charcoal canister for free but they had to order the part. The interesting thing is I only ever had one failed start after the service and prior to the canister replacement. If I've had one issue since the canister replacement, I don't really recall.

I'm not going to say my one action is panacea... and I got this from someone else on here... but the only thing that I have really done consistently since my last failed start is to hit the starter within no more than a few seconds of the ECU finishing the boot cycle.

I'm still pretty careful about not overfilling my tank (not above the bottom of the neck) but I've really not perfect and can recall occasionally spilling some fuel into the cap area where the hole leads to the canister (one of the potential listed causes is filling the canister with excess fuel).

This is just my experience and others will almost certainly vary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I am in the same boat nothing left to try, just wait. Even the forums on the issue have dried up as everybody seems to have given up. I am in heated negotiations with Ducati at the moment so i'll keep everybody updated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I feel obligated to speak up as I was a pretty loud complainer about this so I'll give an update:

I took this issue up with the service department at my local dealership during the 600 mile service. Ultimately, the warranty department agreed to replace the charcoal canister for free but they had to order the part. The interesting thing is I only ever had one failed start after the service and prior to the canister replacement. If I've had one issue since the canister replacement, I don't really recall.

I'm not going to say my one action is panacea... and I got this from someone else on here... but the only thing that I have really done consistently since my last failed start is to hit the starter within no more than a few seconds of the ECU finishing the boot cycle.

I'm still pretty careful about not overfilling my tank (not above the bottom of the neck) but I've really not perfect and can recall occasionally spilling some fuel into the cap area where the hole leads to the canister (one of the potential listed causes is filling the canister with excess fuel).

This is just my experience and others will almost certainly vary.
I've always just waited till the fuel finishes it priming and the dash has done it thing then I start her up straight up without an issue, I also permanently leave my machine on charge when not being used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If press the ignition in anyway, then turn key off wait 90secs then start it, It will always start no problem. I have the akrapovic exhaust being fitted next week so hopefully an ecu flash and upmaps will help. Not likely but I can always hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts