Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! New member here. I have a 2017 Panigale that I bought brand new. Dedicated track bike, after the initial break-in and subsequent service. Had a little track mis-hap and now the bike will not start. Key on, all looks normal, dash powers up, tach scrolls, fuel pump loads, ABS light, engine light, oil light, etc.. Not certain that "oil can" picture light is normally lit with ignition on but bike not running?? Not able to remember...... Bike laid on it's side for 3 or 4 minutes, it did not lose any oil or sustain any mechanical damage. Maybe there is a oil sensor that needs to be reset?? Cosmetic damage only, and sheared right side clip on, at the pin hole point, where they normally break. Installed new clip on, no apparent damage to throttle and/or switch gear. Kick stand is up, clutch lever functions. Any ideas?? Thank you!! Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great question Forwarned! Sorry, should have put that in there!! No action when pushing the start button, will not crank over. No "click" or other audible. Simply nothing when pushing start button. Kill switch is obviously in the "run" position, as it covers start button in "engine off" position. Battery is hot, and on tender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it turning over but not starting, or does nothing happen when you hit the button?
I see your answer on the 2019 that was dropped on the left side, and also your experience with your own bike after track incident..... I will check all wiring and also see if I can jump at the relay. Is the relay on the starter motor? Would you jump that with cables from the bike's own battery or a separate source, ignition on, of course?? Thank you! Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jump the relay to see if it starts, the relay is on the lower left below the battery. Check the fuse in it first before jumping it though.
OK, found it! It turned out to be the little white 4 wire plug that runs off of the start button, down along the right side frame, just below the fuel tank. Super tight wiring, with little to no slack, the wires obviously got yanked on hard enough when the clip-on broke to simply unplug the two halves. Viola, plugged back in, bike fired instantly! Thank you again for the help and the great site. Lots of good info and folk here!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
314 Posts
OK, found it! It turned out to be the little white 4 wire plug that runs off of the start button, down along the right side frame, just below the fuel tank. Super tight wiring, with little to no slack, the wires obviously got yanked on hard enough when the clip-on broke to simply unplug the two halves. Viola, plugged back in, bike fired instantly! Thank you again for the help and the great site. Lots of good info and folk here!!
Same thing happened to me when I hit a slower rider at T-Hill. And we have the same bodywork lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same thing happened to me when I hit a slower rider at T-Hill. And we have the same bodywork lol.
Forewarned - OK, too crazy, uncanny, weird!! I hit another bike, going slower, at T-Hill, no lie!! West course, top of the hill, turn 8. Ultimately, my responsibility, good rider, he slowed down for a very slow bike in front of him, that I could not see, and it was a chain reaction. Same body work, same damage?? I sheared the right side clip-on, trashed the body work, and toasted the right side rear sets. Also pruned the left steering stop, haven't figured out how to fix that yet without buying and installing a new $700 triple tree from Ducati. Got any ideas?? :D Brad

·
Super Moderator
314 Posts
Forewarned - OK, too crazy, uncanny, weird!! I hit another bike, going slower, at T-Hill, no lie!! West course, top of the hill, turn 8. Ultimately, my responsibility, good rider, he slowed down for a very slow bike in front of him, that I could not see, and it was a chain reaction. Same body work, same damage?? I sheared the right side clip-on, trashed the body work, and toasted the right side rear sets. Also pruned the left steering stop, haven't figured out how to fix that yet without buying and installing a new $700 triple tree from Ducati. Got any ideas?? :D Brad
I hit a slower rider across the start finish line doing 100+mph on the east track. He slowed down and crossed the race line to get over to the right thinking he was getting out of the way. It had rained the night before and he wanted to slow down and look for puddles in turn 1. (there wasn't any) I had different bodywork on at the time, it destroyed my entire front end. If you want to get anything straightened or the steering stop tab welded back on go to Gerry Piazza of GP Frame & Wheel in Sacramento. He fixed my broken tab, forks, wheel, brake rotors, everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit a slower rider across the start finish line doing 100+mph on the east track. He slowed down and crossed the race line to get over to the right thinking he was getting out of the way. It had rained the night before and he wanted to slow down and look for puddles in turn 1. (there wasn't any) I had different bodywork on at the time, it destroyed my entire front end. If you want to get anything straightened or the steering stop tab welded back on go to Gerry Piazza of GP Frame & Wheel in Sacramento. He fixed my broken tab, forks, wheel, brake rotors, everything.
Damn, that video gives me the **** jebe's! Too familiar.... pretty much exactly what I did, with a mirror image result. Bottom line, outside passing is dangerous.... the rider being overtaken is absolutely unaware of the overtaking rider, and moves, with not enough reaction time for the overtaking rider. No clue that he is there, most certainly "unintentional", but still with catastrophic results! Pass on the inside only, strict policy at many Euro track days, pretty much eliminates this scenario. While somewhat "hampering" faster riders, it does save some money!!

·
Super Moderator
314 Posts
Damn, that video gives me the **** jebe's! Too familiar.... pretty much exactly what I did, with a mirror image result. Bottom line, outside passing is dangerous.... the rider being overtaken is absolutely unaware of the overtaking rider, and moves, with not enough reaction time for the overtaking rider. No clue that he is there, most certainly "unintentional", but still with catastrophic results! Pass on the inside only, strict policy at many Euro track days, pretty much eliminates this scenario. While somewhat "hampering" faster riders, it does save some money!!
Given that this was "A" group, we go through turn 1 between 85-95 mph. It was a dangerous "C" group maneuver to slow down to 50 mph across the start/finish where we are going 150+ mph, and cross the race line from the middle of the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts