Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any differences between 959 ‘17, 18’ or 19’ ? Im looking to purchase a white 959 for the most aggressive price i can get as its really a toy and not necessarily needed.. so im looking for one in nj/ny/pa and wanted to make sure im not missing anything that will help me sace. I have also come across some used bikes from ducati dealers, do used ducati’s fair well used- if not, after what mileage with servicing/repairs become a factor?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The standard 959 are all the same aside from color. The corsa model is a little different with ohlins suspension and damper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Used

As far as I know they are identical from year to year. I bought a 17 model in 18 and got it for 11.5k, it wasnt even assembled yet, I couldnt pass that up. A used one could be a good option, ducati owners seem to take good care of them, especially if its in the two year warranty period. Look for one that has the weep hole drip fix. My dealer installed something on mine, there is now a hose that comes out of the weep hole. I havent taken it apart to see exactly what they did but it does not drip any longer. Any way, good luck searching, great bikes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mileage

The valve service is at 15k i think it is, something like that, its a little bit pricey about 1500. Other than that oil changes are at 7k if you feel comfortable letting it go that long. You could do the oil changes and air filter yourself, it doesnt look too bad, ill do my own when its out of warranty. Valves i would let the dealer do unless your a good mechanic, its a tough job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum. I am also purchasing a 959 2017 is there anything I should look for as far as issues. I read on another forum that the 959 has trouble starting. Overall would you say the 959 is a reliable bike as I need to use it to commute.

·
Registered
97 Posts
New to the forum. I am also purchasing a 959 2017 is there anything I should look for as far as issues. I read on another forum that the 959 has trouble starting. Overall would you say the 959 is a reliable bike as I need to use it to commute.
Well just to be honest, mine is in the shop again fixing a coolant leak. Its leaked for a year and everytime they think they have it fixed it leaks somewhere else. Its terribly annoying, its been in the shop for 3 months of the first year of ownership. Not everyone has had issues like mine but that doesn’t make me feel better, I’m kind of over it, it sucks. I’ve put almost 5k miles on it and am not sure I would want it as a daily commuter bike but it’s doable. To me it’s not much fun in stop and go traffic, it’s fun to run it. When its good it’s great, when its not it’s in the shop...lol... sad but true for me. The dealer has been great so far, it just takes a long time to get it worked on. Its been in for a week almost this time and supposedly im getting it back tomorrow, we will see. It was a hose clamp this time, squirter unit last time and the weep hole thing the first time (but it was really the weep hole and squirter unit) the weep hole thing is really no big deal mine doesn’t even really spit any out anymore.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Give it a good test, start it cold and then start it hot. Look for coolant leaks before you start it from cold let it sit a while after riding and check again (I've had 4 Pani's including a 959 without leaks). Servicing is something to consider in the price if it's due it will cost you a bit but won't kill you.
I've used them as commuters without major issues but they are a superbikes so some people can't handle that fact. Oh and check the steering stops are not broken off they are fragile.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

Overall it's very reliable. The only reason I'm posting here is because of one word: Commute.
If you haven't bought the 959 yet, then don't.
It's the worst commuting bike on the planet. It's terrible at slow speed for both maneuverability and wrist strain and is hot as H#LL in traffic. Of course, if you travel at 70mph on twisty back roads day and night with no traffic, then the 959 is amazing.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
205 Posts
:) :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah since you asked, I was going to take you to task about saying:

"If you haven't bought the 959 yet, then don't. It's the worst commuting bike on the planet. It's terrible at slow speed for both manoeuvrability and wrist strain and is hot as H#LL in traffic."

But I need to realise you're a ***** that's why you don't have a 959 any more and are more suited to a Multi and Monster only.

I used my 959 with a couple of mods as a commuter and really enjoyed it, some other bikes are better for commuting sure but your missing the point. I would be more comfortable sitting here in a unisex onesie but I'm wearing jeans and jumper instead, I hope you understand.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Calm down here and chill. We're just having fun exchanging personal opinions. Profanity is the argument of an ignoramus. Personally, I think I'm worthy of being described as more than a four asterisk adjective. Use six at a minimum. Those qualifiers may be found in Merriam Webster, or may I be so bold as to suggest the Oxford dictionary?
Disagree if you must and state your point as to why you think I'm wrong but do be specific with examples.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your trying to talk someone out of a Ducati on a Ducati forum? Please.................

Because you had one at some stage! Thats laughable.

Ask XCLR8TN about really using a Pani she is a current owner and commuter, tourer and real user.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I pointed out the pros and cons in post #12. I'm just being realistic and unbiased.
I think the Panigale can tour. I just don't think that it's a commuter in the traditional sense of the word i.e. slow speed and traffic.
However, if you're commuting is fast in the absence of traffic, the 959 is great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
But I need to realise you're a ***** that's why you don't have a 959 any more and are more suited to a Multi and Monster only.
How about we keep things positive and respectful. Especially towards one of the most active and knowledgeable members on the forum.

I'd rather have someone here that has never touched a Ducati that has experience with all kinds of bikes and life in general than someone who can't have a spirited discussion without being derogatory and putting people down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How about we keep things positive and respectful. Especially towards one of the most active and knowledgeable members on the forum.

I'd rather have someone here that has never touched a Ducati that has experience with all kinds of bikes and life in general than someone who can't have a spirited discussion without being derogatory and putting people down.
Did you have anything to contribute to the question that was asked by the original post?
Or are you just the voice of sensible reason?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts