Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Quick hi from the UK. Just picked up my brand new 959 which I am going to build straight into a racer.
I have started a facebook page to show step by step the build, what works, whats a waste of money and hopefully a bit of success along the way.
If anyone comes up with any worthwhile mods by all means drop me a line.
all the best
Martin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Nice. Link to the Facebook page?

When you say "is a waste of money", I'm assuming aesthetic mods would fall into that category for this purpose?

Reactions: msdss

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now this definitely seems very interesting. Racing for tracking I'm going to go with judging by your avatar. Not straight up drag racing or top speed runs correct ?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I'm in for results.

Throttle spacer, no question.

I also found the gearing to be too tall. I went with a 14t front for experimenting but I'd imagine that's gonna be too short depending on the track.

What series do you race?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've raced 250 GP bikes for 20 years, Yam TZ250's and Honda RS250's. Done a bit of GP45 racing here in the UK. ( 450 Motocross bikes converted into road racers ). Currently racing a little ZXR400 I built from a box of bits in F400. The 959 will race in the "Sound of Thunder " series. Just club level but still cut throat. Basically big twins vs 675 triples. It's going to be a lot of fun.

It seems the 959 has no true race plastics, just the ducati track plastics which aren't strong enough for racing.
I have bought the 899/1199 race plastics, front sub-frame and race air scoops as I've been told the standard ones where too restrictive.

First issue will be whether the 899 race air filter will fit, will let you know.

I will look into the throttle spacer, the gearing I expected to be way too tall. We only have a couple big booming tracks here, ( Silverstone and Thruxton ) the rest are all scratchers tracks.

The aim is to get out before the end of this season for a shakedown test and race a full season next year.
Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
358 Posts
looking forward to knowing if that filter will work or not, the more parts we can have coming over from the 899 to 959 will help us out. No waiting for just 959 specific stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have started the big strip down, mirrors off, seat off etc...

When it's come to the side fairing it don't want to play ball.
Side screws out, screw by the rad out, screw underneath between both side panes out.

But still the panel stays put.... I can't see that I've missed anything.
I don't want to pull on it in case something breaks...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have started the big strip down, mirrors off, seat off etc...

When it's come to the side fairing it don't want to play ball.
Side screws out, screw by the rad out, screw underneath between both side panes out.

But still the panel stays put.... I can't see that I've missed anything.
I don't want to pull on it in case something breaks...

Any ideas?
There are a few videos for people pulling off the 1199 fairings. MessenderFlyer or whatever has one?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
did you get the ones that are inside, by your shin while in a riding position? here's a pic from the Service Manual

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have the 899 race bodywork sold over here for the Tri-Options race series.
Had to fit an 899 front subframe, and bought the larger MWR airscoops to suit.

Lightech rearsets on order, ohlins rear next on the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If anyone from the UK is interested, the Ducati Tri-Options Cup is changing to 959's for 2017/18.
The UK series runs as a support race at the British Superbike meetings.

I'm looking to run my 959 at a couple rounds next year, any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I was just going to say, the filters are interchangeable. The clutch cover is the same as the 899. Bodywork, is not.
While they may be interchangeable, the clutch cover is not the same. They added more mass to them on the 1299 and 959 for sound dampening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 1299 kit from GBRacing fits straight on the 959.
The kit consistes of the alternator cover from the 899 and the 1199 clutch cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The points leading team in TriOptions Cup (CarlCox) appears to use Brembo HPK brake disks.
These disks do not have ABS/Traction Control pickups, but I believe CarlCox turns off the ABS and Traction Control for racing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts