Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Depends on what you want and where (ie. track or street). Dialing in your bike for yourself is going to be a trial and error procedure that you'll have to spend time on, and fortunately, electronics is a hit or miss setting so you'll know right away how you like it.

EBC: Personal preference here, do you prefer unadulterated v-twin engine braking or do you want controlled v-twin engine braking (still a lot in both cases).

DTC: Depends on your riding style and how much you want to be in control (or rather how invasive you want TC to be). Most people run DTC between 0-4 here. If you want to bust some wheelies, you'll want DTC to be at 0.

ABS: ABS at 3 in my opinion kills braking power since it'll kick in very early in a straight line the moment the rear tire starts lifting, at 2 its still present, but less intrusive, at 1 its a good safety net.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
@ericlolley - it's best if you start a notebook and take note of existing setup all around, including shocks - to create a baseline. Then you can make minor adjustments and make notes, to tweak to your liking.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
What are you guys running for settings?
EBC
DTC
ABS
That's very personal and will change over time.
When I first got the bike, I disabled the TC and increased the engine to High in WET mode for wheelies since i didn't ride in the rain.
I then got a Monster therefore no need to wheelie with the Pani for kicks as the 1200R does it in spades naturally.
Then I started going to the track where it can and did rain thus I set WET mode back to default.
I didn't like the lean throttle surging in RACE mode at low~mid rpm therefore never used it and stayed in SPORT.
Got a Rapid Bike to eliminate the surging and started using RACE mode albeit with DTC at 5 and ABS at 2 for added protection on the street.
When I'm at the track, I may change those RACE settings back to near default if they became intrusive.

Find a secluded road and experiment. Start with high protection like WET mode and force the bike to trigger those setting.
Try disabling DTC and/ or ABS. Get that front or rear wheel off the ground to see how the bike feels.
Then go back to more protection to find your preferred space, etc.

Reactions: Aldo and ericlolley

·
Registered
190 Posts
I set up Race for EBC1, DTC Off, ABS1

If I want to ride like a dick and pop the front wheel up and stuff, I put it in race. If I want to ride in the twisties fast and let the electronics help keep me out of a ditch, I use the default Sport mode with the exception that I put the motor in "high" mode, and in the wet I use the default wet mode...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have Street setup to Engine power High, EBC1, DTC 4, ABS 2 and I use that for street/ twisties
Race is Engine power High, EBC1, DTC3, ABS 1 and that's when I'm pushing it a bit harder and want to be able to lock up the rear tire

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I have been leaving Sport at Default, except I bump up the engine power to High. For race I have EBC1, ABS1 and traction control turned off. I do that because unlike the Monster 1200S, the Panigale doesn't seem to want to let the front end come up and wheelie, at all, unless DTC is disabled. I am not out riding stand up wheelies on the street, but I don't mind the front coming up a few inches under hard acceleration, and DTC is always shutting the party down if left on in race mode. I also noticed in the default Race settings that the T/C kicks in sometimes quickshifting from first to second and second to third at WOT... It makes it feel like it is "bogging down", I guess during the shifting the rear tire slips a little and it cuts power...

Is this normal?

·
Registered
892 Posts
So I have been leaving Sport at Default, except I bump up the engine power to High. For race I have EBC1, ABS1 and traction control turned off. I do that because unlike the Monster 1200S, the Panigale doesn't seem to want to let the front end come up and wheelie, at all, unless DTC is disabled. I am not out riding stand up wheelies on the street, but I don't mind the front coming up a few inches under hard acceleration, and DTC is always shutting the party down if left on in race mode. I also noticed in the default Race settings that the T/C kicks in sometimes quickshifting from first to second and second to third at WOT... It makes it feel like it is "bogging down", I guess during the shifting the rear tire slips a little and it cuts power...

Is this normal?
For the most part, I've experienced the same thing. Clutch ups definitely impossible with TC on, but I've power wheelied it on TC4 in first at 7k however, so probably depends on a bunch of factors. I've found that DTC kicks in very quickly and bogs the engine while accelerating over bumps, but is tame/consistent when flat.

TC activating on shifts is normal for me between 1 and 2, but never on other shifts unless there's poor road conditions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
For the most part, I've experienced the same thing. Clutch ups definitely impossible with TC on, but I've power wheelied it on TC4 in first at 7k however, so probably depends on a bunch of factors. I've found that DTC kicks in very quickly and bogs the engine while accelerating over bumps, but is tame/consistent when flat.

TC activating on shifts is normal for me between 1 and 2, but never on other shifts unless there's poor road conditions.
Yeah, that makes sense. So the question is, which method is "faster"?

Certainly if you in a turn and the pavement is less than ideal, then you want the TC keeping you in line... But on straightaways where you want maximum thrust, it seems intrusive. My 959 easily power wheelies in first(45t rear sprocket) and it sometimes pops up a little in second... But this is not a true literbike that will flick you off if you aren't careful, like my Monster 1200S or 1198 was. It's like a slightly beefed up 750, so the danger of looping it... pretty low. You would almost have to TRY and mess up that bad. LOL

On the M1200S I found Sport with the default DTC 2 to be perfect. It let it do little power wheelies in the first couple gears but kept things within reason... The Panigale, which makes a LOT less power in the mid range and has a much smoother delivery, I don't think needs this much intrusion, does it?

So I am torn between trusting that the "Factory knows best", and what "I think the bike should do"... haha

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
So I am torn between trusting that the "Factory knows best", and what "I think the bike should do"... haha
I'm certain Ducati didn't plan the TC settings for wheelies or for individual styles of riding on the 959. The bike will never improve for you if you don't experiment.
Consequently, I believe you should set-it-up the way you like it. You can always change it back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm certain Ducati didn't plan the TC settings for wheelies or for individual styles of riding on the 959. The bike will never improve for you if you don't experiment.
Consequently, I believe you should set-it-up the way you like it. You can always change it back.
This is one of the few things that I have OCD on. In my mind, I have to "know that it's right" and no matter what setting I use, I second guess myself. For whatever reason, the M1200S default sport mode, let it wheelie a bit here and there, and more importantly, didn't cut the power under hard acceleration in a straight line, while giving my mind the peace of mind(perhaps only in perception) of still having a bit of a safety net in place. I kinda set it and forget it...

But a few times, on a hot, dry stretch of road like an on ramp to the interstate, I give it the beans in default race mode and as I shift, it bogs a little... I thought there might be something wrong... Turns out that it was the DTC kicking in when it really didn't need to... If you can't handle and manage the front tire coming up 5 or 6 inches a little bit here and there as you rocket down a straight, then you probably should not be on a Panigale in the first place... haha

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. So the question is, which method is "faster"?

Whatever makes you feel better and in control is ultimately "faster". That's mostly a personal preference question right? I'd lean toward what we'd want vs. what the factory defines.

Certainly if you in a turn and the pavement is less than ideal, then you want the TC keeping you in line... But on straightaways where you want maximum thrust, it seems intrusive. My 959 easily power wheelies in first(45t rear sprocket) and it sometimes pops up a little in second... But this is not a true literbike that will flick you off if you aren't careful, like my Monster 1200S or 1198 was. It's like a slightly beefed up 750, so the danger of looping it... pretty low. You would almost have to TRY and mess up that bad. LOL
I'm lost. In your previous post, you're stating that you lack hard straight line drive due to TC intervening, but here you're saying you can power wheelie in first and second? I'm assuming you're making an apples to apples comparison here in that both cases are under DTC2 (default RACE mode DTC setting), so quite confusing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whatever makes you feel better and in control is ultimately "faster". That's mostly a personal preference question right? I'd lean toward what we'd want vs. what the factory defines.

I'm lost. In your previous post, you're stating that you lack hard straight line drive due to TC intervening, but here you're saying you can power wheelie in first and second? I'm assuming you're making an apples to apples comparison here in that both cases are under DTC2 (default RACE mode DTC setting), so quite confusing.
I meant it power wheelies a little bit with DTC off. With it on(default settings), the front tire is glued to the road and as a result, it often bogs a bit as power is cut when I don't feel it needs to... So the "solution" is to just turn it off. But then part of me says, "don't I want some electronic protection? Isn't that what it's here for?" LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Right now I am riding in Race mode with EBC-1, DTC-2, ABS-2 and it seems pretty good. If I want to wheelie I can just turn off the DTC. I feel like this gives me a decent safety net while not being too intrusive...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have "Sport" mode set up for the street and "Race" mode set up for the track.

"Sport"
High power
EBC: 2
DTC: 3
ABS: 1 somtimes 2 if I'm commuting to work (lane splitting).

"Race"
High Power
DTC: 1
ABS: Off

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Street Settings:

Engine Mode:
Race / Hi

Rider Aids:
Type | Level of invasiveness
DTC 3 (medium-low level)
EBC 3 (lowest level)
ABS 1 (lowest level)

·
Registered
224 Posts
A quick point on wheelies and DTC. Twice at the track while in DTC 3-2 I have had generous wheelies due mostly to aggressive throttle over dipping or peaked asphalt. Do NOT think this is an anti-wheelie system like the S1000RR or R1M! Those are more advanced and will get the nose right on down when a wheelie is detected.

Be careful!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Street

High Power Mode
ABS: 3

Track

High Power Mode
EBC: 3

As Kev said this thing doesn't have any Anti-Wheelie control. I was over at Pitt Race last weekend and was wheeling over the hill coming out of Turn 1 on every lap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Street

High Power Mode
ABS: 3

Track

High Power Mode
EBC: 3

As Kev said this thing doesn't have any Anti-Wheelie control. I was over at Pitt Race last weekend and was wheeling over the hill coming out of Turn 1 on every lap.
It doesn't have wheelie mode, correct, but many times if you whack the throttle in first, the TC cuts in when the front wheel comes up, bringing it back down. It's a by-product of Traction Control more than wheelie control, but it kinda does the same thing, in many cases...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts