Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My 959 Panigale hadn't been "really" ridden in a few years, in storage during some remodeling, etc. It has been maintained on a battery tender, fuel stabilizer in the tank, and started and run up to temp monthly, and an occasional ride around the block.

A few months ago I did an oil change, and bled the brakes and clutch. I finally got around to getting it inspected and the plates renewed, and yesterday took it for its first real ride in a long time. It took a few tries to start it, as usual, and it had a noticeable hesitation when cracking the throttle open. Once the temps came up I was winding it up and down the rev range and it got a little better, but I could still induce the stumble. My gas light came on and I was hoping maybe that was the issue and I had less fuel than I thought. I filled it up and hit the freeway, running fast in 4th gear and on/off the throttle hard. After 10 miles or so the stumble was pretty much gone and the bike was running great, so I figured all was okay. This was around 1pm, and traffic was nuts heading west, so I decided to head home rather than making a full day of it. As it turns out, that was a very good idea! I exited the freeway and the bike died at my first stop. It restarted, but it was really hard to pull away cleanly without a lot of clutch slippage, and it was clearing stumbling and jerking. At my next stop it died as soon as I pulled in the clutch, and this time it didn't want to start. I tried a few times and decided to just wait for awhile and think about how I was going to get it home. I gave it another try, and it started, reluctantly, so I kept going. It bucked and jerked all the way, almost like one cylinder was cutting out, but when it pulled properly everything sounded normal (my biggest concern was a valve, crank position, or timing issue, which I'm confident its' not).
I made it home, barely, and did the usual checks; oil, temperatures, etc. and it was all good. I'm thinking fouled plugs, injector issue, fuel pump or regulator. Any thoughts or suggestions of what I can try myself before it goes to a shop? Thanks! Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Map sensor will make the bike really difficult to pull away from a stop but will work fine after about 20% throttle position.

t_bare

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all! My 959 Panigale hadn't been "really" ridden in a few years, in storage during some remodeling, etc. It has been maintained on a battery tender, fuel stabilizer in the tank, and started and run up to temp monthly, and an occasional ride around the block.

A few months ago I did an oil change, and bled the brakes and clutch. I finally got around to getting it inspected and the plates renewed, and yesterday took it for its first real ride in a long time. It took a few tries to start it, as usual, and it had a noticeable hesitation when cracking the throttle open. Once the temps came up I was winding it up and down the rev range and it got a little better, but I could still induce the stumble. My gas light came on and I was hoping maybe that was the issue and I had less fuel than I thought. I filled it up and hit the freeway, running fast in 4th gear and on/off the throttle hard. After 10 miles or so the stumble was pretty much gone and the bike was running great, so I figured all was okay. This was around 1pm, and traffic was nuts heading west, so I decided to head home rather than making a full day of it. As it turns out, that was a very good idea! I exited the freeway and the bike died at my first stop. It restarted, but it was really hard to pull away cleanly without a lot of clutch slippage, and it was clearing stumbling and jerking. At my next stop it died as soon as I pulled in the clutch, and this time it didn't want to start. I tried a few times and decided to just wait for awhile and think about how I was going to get it home. I gave it another try, and it started, reluctantly, so I kept going. It bucked and jerked all the way, almost like one cylinder was cutting out, but when it pulled properly everything sounded normal (my biggest concern was a valve, crank position, or timing issue, which I'm confident its' not).
I made it home, barely, and did the usual checks; oil, temperatures, etc. and it was all good. I'm thinking fouled plugs, injector issue, fuel pump or regulator. Any thoughts or suggestions of what I can try myself before it goes to a shop? Thanks! Joe
t_bar could be right. Might be the map sensor or maybe dirty injectors. Do let me know once you get it sorted out. Curious to know what it was. Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since it was running good for awhile the plugs are good IMO. Your gas probably has up to 10% alcohol in it (pump) gas and that attracts water inside the fuel after a long time sitting. After you filled the tank again with new fuel you said it ran good. Fresh fuel. Question, once you had the bike running again how did it run at 30% of throttle position? I know you said it would not idle but how about at 30-50% throttle position How about WOT?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts