Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there i just bought my 959 2 weeks ago and due to bad weather i only got like 130 miles on it.

And in like 500 miles the service light will turn on, i am automotive technician and will do all my services myself like many others here and i was wondering if any one here has a solution in how to reset the service light, what software do i use and where do i get it, i already got 4 pin connector to odb ii that i can connect to my windows 10 laptop.

Please help me out here!

Thanks sam

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
you need the Ducati Service Software with supplied cable to get into the system - that's all I know (I think)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
There's a few software programs out there. JPDiag is one of them.

jpdiag

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey there i just bought my 959 2 weeks ago and due to bad weather i only got like 130 miles on it.

And in like 500 miles the service light will turn on, i am automotive technician and will do all my services myself like many others here and i was wondering if any one here has a solution in how to reset the service light, what software do i use and where do i get it, i already got 4 pin connector to odb ii that i can connect to my windows 10 laptop.

Please help me out here!

Thanks sam
Sam,
Everything you need to know/do it yourself here:
Diagnostic software - Ducati 1299 Forum

-John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys. i got a cable and i downloaded the jpdiag but when i send for a licence the keep telling me a serial number is missing does anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
has anyone been successful in resetting their own service light?

Hey Guy,

I've recently just done my 12000 KM service by myself and was wondering if anyone has successfully reset their own service light?

If so, would they be kind enough to provide reading materials, links to software and hardware?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Aqueeb

Did jpdiag/Melcodiag not work for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Aqueeb

Did jpdiag/Melcodiag not work for you?
To be honest, I haven't tried Melcodiag but only because I could not find any documentation that said that the 959 panigale could be reset using it. Before I drop money on buying the cable, I'd like to figure out exactly what I'm doing.

So things that I need answers to:-
  • Will the software work on my Windows 10 laptop or do I need some kind of special VM to run the software?
  • Where is the OBDII connector on the panigale?
  • Is there a high quality OBDII cable that you guys can recommend?
  • Are there instructions on how to use the software to reset the check engine light?

I have an old OBDII cable that I use on my E60 530i to look for error codes and to reset the error codes but the application (INPA) only runs on Windows XP and is a pain to set up on newer laptops. Hence the above questions.

What I will do is see if I can download Melcodiag and see if it recognizes my cable.

Any help is appreciated!
Thx!

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest, I haven't tried Melcodiag but only because I could not find any documentation that said that the 959 panigale could be reset using it. Before I drop money on buying the cable, I'd like to figure out exactly what I'm doing.

So things that I need answers to:-
  • Will the software work on my Windows 10 laptop or do I need some kind of special VM to run the software? It runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop :)
  • Where is the OBDII connector on the panigale?
  • Is there a high quality OBDII cable that you guys can recommend? Seems like my old OBDII cable that I used on my 530i works great
  • Are there instructions on how to use the software to reset the check engine light?I should have looked at MelcoDiag...seems like this is a no brainer

I have an old OBDII cable that I use on my E60 530i to look for error codes and to reset the error codes but the application (INPA) only runs on Windows XP and is a pain to set up on newer laptops. Hence the above questions.

What I will do is see if I can download Melcodiag and see if it recognizes my cable.

Any help is appreciated!
Thx!
Okay, answered a question or two myself...but still need to figure out where the OBDII connector is. Also, from what I've gathered online, seems like I need a second cable which converts from OBDII port to a 3-pin??

Anyway...again...any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Will the software work on my Windows 10 laptop or do I need some kind of special VM to run the software?
At most, changing the compatibility will be the most you have to do to make it work. I run it on Win10 without any changes no problem.

Where is the OBDII connector on the panigale?
It's a 4-pin connector underneath the passenger seat / cowl and not the full 16-pin trapezoidal ones you see on cars. Take off the seat/cowl and pop the black cover open to find it with a weather seal attached.

Is there a high quality OBDII cable that you guys can recommend?
Depending on if it works (certain FTDI serial to usb converters apparently don't play well, particularly newer ones??), the OBDII cable you have might work. The one that is linked from the MelcoDiag forum page is one of the hits when you search "ELM327 USB Cable OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner with FTDI FT232RL Chip PIC18F25K80 v1.4". The 1.4 version is crucial(??maybe??). There were some posts about people using bluetooth ones, so you could try that. WiFi ones are no go because you need a serial communication port for MelcoDiag to communicate with your bike.

The only real thing you have to buy is the 4-pin to OBDII connector. There's a resource somewhere that has the pin relations so you can test continuity (I think its in the manual/forum page for the Melcodiag) as apparently there's some people who have fried stuff from poorly made converters.

Here's the one I bought (eBay user laurynas1986) that has the correct pin relations and acceptable build quality: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUCATI-Diagnostic-4-pin-OBD2-connector-for-Panigale/192255182542

Are there instructions on how to use the software to reset the check engine light?
None, see attachment.

It's really straightforward overall, the only hitch you might hit is acquiring a license since its a manual process by the MelcoDiag owner or so. There's no real instructions aside from setup as most of it is self-explanatory.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
No clue, not long though. The owner (jpl250rs) is pretty active on the forum, so if you're going on days of no reply, just hit him up on the forum and you should be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No clue, not long though. The owner (jpl250rs) is pretty active on the forum, so if you're going on days of no reply, just hit him up on the forum and you should be good.
Thx @DJ Shrug
I think I know why I haven't received it so far. I need to connect MelcoDiag to the bike before I can hit the Get License button. Can you confirm? FYI, I still haven't received it but am not going to reach out just yet. I'll wait for the cable to arrive. :) Another 15 days and counting.

Quick question...does anyone know if it matters WHEN the service light was reset? I've already put another 1000 kms since I did the service and was wondering if it affects the next service light at 24K kms.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Make sure the ELM327 USB Cable OBD2 is genuine and has been confirmed to work. Many on Ebay are Chinese bootleg where their cables contains a counterfeit "Prolific" chip that uses the same Vendor ID. Consequently, Prolific modified their newest drivers in Windows to render the counterfeit adapters unusable. As a result, any Windows OS drivers newer than the ones in XP will result in a "Code 10 error"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure the ELM327 USB Cable OBD2 is genuine and has been confirmed to work. Many on Ebay are Chinese bootleg where their cables contains a counterfeit "Prolific" chip that uses the same Vendor ID. Consequently, Prolific modified their newest drivers in Windows to render the counterfeit adapters unusable. As a result, any Windows OS drivers newer than the ones in XP will result in a "Code 10 error"
Thx for the tip @DarR, the OBD2 cable I have has been confirmed working with my E60 530i. Dont know if it will work with my bike since I don't know if it's an ELM327 chip but I do know that it's a genuine prolific chip. Will find out more once I get the OBD2 to 4 pin converter cable. Will keep this forum updated.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@Aqueeb
I got taken by a cheap Chinese bootleg initially and had to purchase a quality replacement. I ended up paying more for having to buy twice. Here's two photos of the Device Manager with both the good and the bad unit. Notice the "Prolific" error. You'll immediately know in "Device Manager" if it works right when you plug it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Aqueeb
I got taken by a cheap Chinese bootleg initially and had to purchase a quality replacement. I ended up paying more for having to buy twice. Here's two photos of the Device Manager with both the good and the bad unit. Notice the "Prolific" error. You'll immediately know in "Device Manager" if it works right when you plug it in.
It could be that the newer Prolific chip is used - updating the Prolific serial port driver potentially could make it work.

FTDI and Silabs usb-to-serial converters also have a similar problems between default installed drivers on Win7 vs Win10, so perhaps the bad unit actually works.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
@DJ Shrug
This issue is very well documented and its just too time consuming trying to fix for the small cost of an up-to-date working cable. Prolific changed their new chip-set to make their older chipset obsolete with any driver newer than Windows XP. Moreover, Windows "post XP" always installs newer drivers by default upon re-boot. I've spent hours with attempting to install older Prolific drivers. Without going into the OS registry through "regedit" making a older or counterfeit chip stable is just not worth the effort unless you make it a hobby and know what you're doing. YMWV.

This elm cable works:
ELM327 Interface

There are others out there of course but the point is that you'll know instantaneously in "Device Manager" whether or not that cable is good or not when you plug it in your computer's USB port. Worst case scenario is that you're out $15 and you have to buy another.

For those that that are starting from scratch, both cables are available as a set also:
Diagnostic Interface for GuzziDiag JPDiag DucatiDiag DDA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts