Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

So I picked up my 959 last Friday and I have been having an absolute blast on it.

The weather here has been an average 38-40C (~100F) with humidity around 75%. On the way home from the dealership I decided to take the twisties home and got the tyres scrubbed in nicely. I've already had to clean the bike due to the amount of grease that flicked up under the tail and on some of the tyre side wall, not sure if that is normal but its fine now.

The heat from the seat and on the legs is no problem at all (Kevlar jeans, getting full leathers). What I did find a bit odd was that today is a bit cooler and lower humidity and I could feel it a bit more than usual but still no where near uncomfortable at all, actually come to think of it I'm sure it was just my mind playing tricks.

Riding style is a lot more aggressive than I am used to but my bones have already settled in but I'm still finding a bit of numbness in my right hand I'm getting better with gripping with my legs, but giving it a quick shake fixes that up. On the normal seat I can ride for about 1 1/2 hours before my butt starts asking for a rest.

I'll be definitely having a further read into the suspension post on the forum, where I am the mountains can be a bit bumpy they didn't seem as bad today but that could just be me getting more familiar with the bike. Certain areas on the mountain the rear can feel like its solid with no spring or shock at all, mind you its like that on any bike.

Without getting into the whole the correct way to break-in a bike. I've been riding it normally, no excessive revs going up and down gears manually changing and then quickshifter under power. Coming off of a Ninja 300 the gearing is a bit of a learning curve, taking off from the lights on the 300 you would instantly be changing out of it on the 959 its just a bit odd sitting at 60kph in 2nd or 3rd gear (depending on scenario)

The majority of riding I've had it in Sport mode but I swapped it over to race for 1/2 of today, wow. Turns it into a complete beast, so snappy!

And finally, its a gorgeous looking bike and have had quite a few riders next to me at lights comment on it. Along with a couple cheeky comments from people saying how rare it is to see one in the twisties and not at the local coffee shop, all in good fun :laugh:

Back to work tomorrow unfortunately but there is bad weather forecast all week but next weekends forecast is looking good! >:)

Cheers!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds great, back off the rear shock to a soft setting (read the book) then stiffen it a little if you need.
You should have your dealer set the sag for you at the first service if not already done, most dealers don't
set up a new customers bike before they ride out.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
@Ohnoez2
Congrats on your new purchase and a good first write-up. You may want to consider looking-into either the DP race or comfort seat to extend your riding time although I purchased mine primarily for the grip as I found the slippery stocker too hard on the boys while braking. Cheers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 on the suspension settings. Or you can find a local race shop set it up for you. I did that and it was $79 but totally changed the feel of the bike for the better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
+1 on the suspension settings. Or you can find a local race shop set it up for you. I did that and it was $79 but totally changed the feel of the bike for the better.
+2

The bike was a bear to handle until my suspension was set up, absolutely awesome now.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Hi Gents,

So I picked up my 959 last Friday and I have been having an absolute blast on it.

The weather here has been an average 38-40C (~100F) with humidity around 75%. On the way home from the dealership I decided to take the twisties home and got the tyres scrubbed in nicely. I've already had to clean the bike due to the amount of grease that flicked up under the tail and on some of the tyre side wall, not sure if that is normal but its fine now.

The heat from the seat and on the legs is no problem at all (Kevlar jeans, getting full leathers). What I did find a bit odd was that today is a bit cooler and lower humidity and I could feel it a bit more than usual but still no where near uncomfortable at all, actually come to think of it I'm sure it was just my mind playing tricks.

Riding style is a lot more aggressive than I am used to but my bones have already settled in but I'm still finding a bit of numbness in my right hand I'm getting better with gripping with my legs, but giving it a quick shake fixes that up. On the normal seat I can ride for about 1 1/2 hours before my butt starts asking for a rest.

I'll be definitely having a further read into the suspension post on the forum, where I am the mountains can be a bit bumpy they didn't seem as bad today but that could just be me getting more familiar with the bike. Certain areas on the mountain the rear can feel like its solid with no spring or shock at all, mind you its like that on any bike.

Without getting into the whole the correct way to break-in a bike. I've been riding it normally, no excessive revs going up and down gears manually changing and then quickshifter under power. Coming off of a Ninja 300 the gearing is a bit of a learning curve, taking off from the lights on the 300 you would instantly be changing out of it on the 959 its just a bit odd sitting at 60kph in 2nd or 3rd gear (depending on scenario)

The majority of riding I've had it in Sport mode but I swapped it over to race for 1/2 of today, wow. Turns it into a complete beast, so snappy!

And finally, its a gorgeous looking bike and have had quite a few riders next to me at lights comment on it. Along with a couple cheeky comments from people saying how rare it is to see one in the twisties and not at the local coffee shop, all in good fun

Back to work tomorrow unfortunately but there is bad weather forecast all week but next weekends forecast is looking good! >:)

Cheers!
Congratulations! When I get stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic, sometimes my palms start to hurt a little if I'm using thin gloves. But if I wear thicker gloves that have a thick palm it isn't much of an issue. You might want to try that. But I guess with the warm temperature...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
487 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like your weather forecasters need to teach ours a few things, they can barely predict the next 6 hours let alone the next 6 days.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...I've already had to clean the bike due to the amount of grease that flicked up under the tail and on some of the tyre side wall, not sure if that is normal but its fine now.
I use this to clean my entire bike (except the chain)

...Riding style is a lot more aggressive than I am used to but my bones have already settled in but I'm still finding a bit of numbness in my right hand I'm getting better with gripping with my legs, but giving it a quick shake fixes that up. On the normal seat I can ride for about 1 1/2 hours before my butt starts asking for a rest...
Like @DarR mentioned, the other seats will help. Also think about changing your grips, the stock ones are very hard.

...I'll be definitely having a further read into the suspension post on the forum, where I am the mountains can be a bit bumpy they didn't seem as bad today but that could just be me getting more familiar with the bike...
Like others have mentioned, it'll be the #1 change you can make to how the bike handles when you're on it - make small changes little by little.

...Without getting into the whole the correct way to break-in a bike. I've been riding it normally, no excessive revs going up and down gears manually changing and then quickshifter under power...
Yes the "correct" way is up for debate, however, everyone knows you need to load the engine to get the rings to seat properly - best method is blasting to around 8-9K up a hill and switching thru the gears... not letting it rev at one speed for too long regardless of where you are is key.

...The majority of riding I've had it in Sport mode but I swapped it over to race for 1/2 of today, wow. Turns it into a complete beast, so snappy!
Welcome to the 959!!! Race mode is where it's at! Don't neglect the DTC, EBC and ABS settings! Read them over from the manual and ride after making a change.

...And finally, its a gorgeous looking bike and have had quite a few riders next to me at lights comment on it.
I still find myself staring at it aimlessly...

Congrats and be safe out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on the bike m8, like you mentioned I don't see many around and I'm located in northern nsw so also save your self some pain mate and get a rad guard as my lower radiator doesn't look pretty now which was a result of this 37-40c which made the tar very soft end result it doesnt look nice anymore. Need tooth picks to straighten the 30+ hits.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
...Without getting into the whole the correct way to break-in a bike. I've been riding it normally, no excessive revs going up and down gears manually changing and then quickshifter under power...
That is perfect!

Only bike I've ever had any issues with oil usage on was broken in by the book, low revs and loads for the first few thousand miles, won't ever make that mistake again. The break in procedures are written by corporate legal department to prevent newbs from looping their overpowered sportbike coming out of the dealer's parking lot IMHO.

I've broken in a ton of bikes with good results by just riding them using common sense. Stay well off the rev limiter, don't lug or overheat the motor and avoid highway droning at a constant rpm.

I basically ride them right from the dealer's parking lot back into the twisties where there's a lot of variation in rpm and loading, don't baby them but don't abuse them either and you will be fine.

Reactions: Ohnoez2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of great advice thanks!

@DarR Thanks for the info about the seats, Like you I've find the stock seat pretty slippery and have had a couple of nut cracker moments going down the mountains here.

I went for a ride to compare my winter and summer gloves, that padding on the palm (winter glove) helps.

@excitednewrider I'm close to Brisbane City roughly 20KMs but got the bike from Motolife in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast. The travel was worth it, the staff aren't pushing to make a sale off you.

@BullAnt Thanks, I was looking at radiator guards the lower radiator seems a bit exposed behind that front wheel.

To everyone regarding getting the suspension done, thank you. I'll be getting the suspension setup after 1,000kms in no way am I an expert but I do have a really good suspension shop nearby.

I'll have to record a couple rides of the mountains around near me, I'd find it interesting to see the twisties others ride in too!

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts