Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope this is not a duplicate thread, I searched but found nothing.
This spring I was in my local Ducati dealership and they suggested that this might be the last year for the production of the 959. The employee said that every time they make a course edition it typically marks the end of a bikes offering. What do you guys think about this statement. Also, if so what do you think the platform will look like if/when it is replaced?
Do you believe Ducati will be replacing this model with a V4? or stay L2?
Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If I were to read one morning that Ducati was replacing the Super-Mid's Twin with a V4, here's what i'd do:
I'd have another coffee, shower and go for a ride on my 959.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Historically yes the corse means the end of the model line. However I dont think that they will be introducing a v4 SuperMid. If you go take a look at all the banter in the corse thread about why they didnt do this or that all those things ring true for the idea of a v4 mid. It will not hit the price bucket. Also when the v4 was introduced ducati made it very clear that the twin will still be a major part of the platform for quite some time. Might there be a new bike with a cc bump? sure, but maybe not even that..?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What KarlKani wrote!
V4 talk on any other bike than that used in MotoGP or the 1000cc Panigale V4R for SBK has been denied by Ducati.
The rest is all unfounded gossip. In a few years...who knows?... other than Ducati of course.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Historically yes the corse means the end of the model line. However I dont think that they will be introducing a v4 SuperMid. If you go take a look at all the banter in the corse thread about why they didnt do this or that all those things ring true for the idea of a v4 mid. It will not hit the price bucket. Also when the v4 was introduced ducati made it very clear that the twin will still be a major part of the platform for quite some time. Might there be a new bike with a cc bump? sure, but maybe not even that..?
I agree there price bump would sway the market away from the Mid, even if they came in 2k higher it would be a significant hit.
I will jump into the Corse threads and see what all the gossip is about.
If anything it would be good if they somehow figure out how to get rid of that side exit exhaust on the Euro and other models.
An undertail system would be a good replacement over the duel shotgun look to be Euro 4 compliant. Much like the SE and FE have.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, my dealer also suggested a smaller v4 will undoubtably make it through the line. He guessed a 900cc but also mentioned a lot of other differences (besides displacement) that would make it an affordable and suitable r/t bike. Things like double sided swingarms etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Even when the 1299 superbike does finish production, Ducati say there will still be a V-twin in their sportsbike line-up, even if it’s just their super- mid 959 Panigale. Ducati’s new V4 motor is hugely expensive to produce and takes twice as long to assemble as a twin, meaning it isn’t suitable for a middleweight sportsbike that competes in a more price-sensitive segment.

Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali said: "We won’t see middleweight versions of the V4 for bikes like the 959 Panigale.

"The engine cost is very high. We’ll keep on making the V-twin for the 959. It’ll have a long life."

-Motorcyclenews.com Dec, 2017

1 - 17 of 17 Posts