Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forums so forgive me if I am not in the correct area.
I hope someone can help me. My 959 will not start. The engine will turn over but it will not fire.

Symptoms:
When I turn the key on I do not here the fuel pump sound like I use to.
When I turn the key on there is a code -6150 on the odometer. (not sure if that means anything or not)

What I was doing prior to this (or what I should not have been doing):frown2: I will try to be detailed so pardon if there is too much info.
Long story short, I was removing the passenger foot pegs.
To do the I had to tilt the gas tank up. I disconnected the ground and the wiring harness at the rear of the tank and tilted it up. During the process i noticed a little gas had leaked on to the ground. I did not think to much of it at the time. At first, I thought I did not plug the harness at the back of the tank in far enough. So I took it apart again and made sure it was secure. But It still would not start.

Everything else I did:
Removed the seat
Removed subframe heat shields
Loosed bolt to upper subframe.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would remove the gas tank and make sure all the joining gas lines are secure/not broken, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did do a quick visual by tipping the tank up after it would not the first time. But I will remove the tank and look again. Is there any secret to the electrical connections? I push them in as far as they can go and they do lock into place by I never really hear a click.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why did you life the tank for this? I removed mine in 2 minutes. Just a little pressure on the heat shield and they popped right out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forums so forgive me if I am not in the correct area.
I hope someone can help me. My 959 will not start. The engine will turn over but it will not fire.

Symptoms:
When I turn the key on I do not here the fuel pump sound like I use to.
When I turn the key on there is a code -6150 on the odometer. (not sure if that means anything or not)

What I was doing prior to this (or what I should not have been doing):frown2: I will try to be detailed so pardon if there is too much info.
Long story short, I was removing the passenger foot pegs.
To do the I had to tilt the gas tank up. I disconnected the ground and the wiring harness at the rear of the tank and tilted it up. During the process i noticed a little gas had leaked on to the ground. I did not think to much of it at the time. At first, I thought I did not plug the harness at the back of the tank in far enough. So I took it apart again and made sure it was secure. But It still would not start.

Everything else I did:
Removed the seat
Removed subframe heat shields
Loosed bolt to upper subframe.

Any help is appreciated.
The -6150 is a countdown in miles to your next service... not related.

As it has already been suggested, I would remove the tank and get another set of eyes on the fuel line to ensure that you didn't pull it loose or aren't crimping the line.

It is also possible that you have enough battery power to turn the engine but not for the ignition. All the attempts at starting the bike have likely drained the battery. Put it on a charger or tender and keep it attached when you go to try it again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did you life the tank for this? I removed mine in 2 minutes. Just a little pressure on the heat shield and they popped right out.

I put a lot of pressure on my heat shield and I could not get the clearance.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I believe these tanks have a quick release fitting on the main fuel line at the tank. It would be difficult to accidentally disengage this, but that could definitely be your culprit. There should also be two vent lines that just slide onto their fittings (no clamps of any kind) located towards the front throttle side of the tank. Again it would be difficult to dislodge these accidentally especially if you're just tilting the tank from the rear. As you mentioned, it's difficult to tell when the small harness is fully connected other than making sure the small latch is seated. Also, make sure the ground wire has a tight connection. I crimped mine a little on my 1199 the last time I had the tank off. You may also what to be sure the large rubber gasket that seals the airbox to the tank is seated properly. They have a tendency to slip out of position.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
If you turn the auxiliary power on and you don't hear the fuel pump prime then your problem is greater than disconnected lines if that is even a problem. Electrical or component (fuel pump) specific...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Is the fuel pump harness connector secured? See attached - #4/Orange connector.

I'd say that's the culprit, either its slightly loose, you forgot to plug it back in, or its busted beyond repair somehow by other means.

(Don't mind my sick paint skills, the 959 service manual shows the 1199/1299 or some weird mockup. The black I drew in is sorta the shape of our 959 tank with the rubber grommets that is held down to the sub frame via a bar you removed that's under the seat.)

EDIT:
At first, I thought I did not plug the harness at the back of the tank in far enough. So I took it apart again and made sure it was secure. But It still would not start.
I'd say its still the spot for why your bike isn't getting fuel. Maybe check the connections to see if something got mangled.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I turn on auxiliary power on I do not hear the pump. The harness in DJ Shrug's photo is the one I spoke of earlier. I get it locked in but never really hear it click into place. (not sure it is suppose to here it or not)
When I get home tonight I will reinspect all fittings, check the harness for anything mangled, make sure the ground is grounded, and check the air box seal. I guess its possible I blew a fuse so I will look at that too.

Thank for everyone help.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe these tanks have a quick release fitting on the main fuel line at the tank. It would be difficult to accidentally disengage this, but that could definitely be your culprit. There should also be two vent lines that just slide onto their fittings (no clamps of any kind) located towards the front throttle side of the tank. Again it would be difficult to dislodge these accidentally especially if you're just tilting the tank from the rear. As you mentioned, it's difficult to tell when the small harness is fully connected other than making sure the small latch is seated. Also, make sure the ground wire has a tight connection. I crimped mine a little on my 1199 the last time I had the tank off. You may also what to be sure the large rubber gasket that seals the airbox to the tank is seated properly. They have a tendency to slip out of position.

As an aside, if you are referring to this:
Quick Release Metal Fuel Connectors: Ducati 1299/1199 / 899 / 959 Panigale

then unless something has changed with the stock 959, I believe this would be an upgrade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's Running again!!!

Thanks to all of you. First, there was a vent line that was disconnected. That was kind of a PITA to get back on.
But the culprit was the fuel pump connection. To be more exact the male portion that is attached to the gas tank. One of the little pins was bent. I must have bent it the first time I attached it. I was able to straighten it with some needle-nose. When I was connecting the harness, I could hear it click into place.
As soon as I turned the key the fuel pump activated, I hit the start button and it lit right up.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks to all of you. First, there was a vent line that was disconnected. That was kind of a PITA to get back on.
But the culprit was the fuel pump connection. To be more exact the male portion that is attached to the gas tank. One of the little pins was bent. I must have bent it the first time I attached it. I was able to straighten it with some needle-nose. When I was connecting the harness, I could hear it click into place.
As soon as I turned the key the fuel pump activated, I hit the start button and it lit right up.

Thanks again!!!
Glad you got it sorted out! I wonder what happened that made the pin bend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went out to start the bike this morning to ride to work. Took a couple tries, but got it going. Then, came the trip home this afternoon. I tried every trick I read here, and even tried the open the filler cap trick. Almost ran the battery flat but it finally started.

Not impressed. Bike has 50 miles on it, total.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Went out to start the bike this morning to ride to work. Took a couple tries, but got it going. Then, came the trip home this afternoon. I tried every trick I read here, and even tried the open the filler cap trick. Almost ran the battery flat but it finally started.

Not impressed. Bike has 50 miles on it, total.
There's a chance you flooded the charcoal canister while lifting the gas tank which might be causing you problems now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DJ Shrug- I was the one with the original issue. I have not really rode my bike since last night when I fixed it. So, that still may be an issue. I will have till I ride it more.
TheX- My starting issue was caused by me and not a defect in the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's a chance you flooded the charcoal canister while lifting the gas tank which might be causing you problems now.
I never lifted the gas tank, I haven't even had it long enough to put gas in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts